·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
I'm seriously considering this....

Q: Loud doesn't bother me...but...Does it drone...if so how bad (I don't mind a little as I'm half deaf).

My SRT exhaust is very efficient. Don't believe I'll do any better, unless I get Long Tubes. I want more sound. How does it sound?

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It drones when using ~30% throttle between 1-2K rpms. Other than that it's not bad but the reverberation in the interior is pretty extreme under load (partial throttle or otherwise) but you can shift around it. I like it but it's going to take some getting used to. It'll happen though.

·
Registered
481 Posts
It drones when using ~30% throttle between 1-2K rpms. Other than that it's not bad but the reverberation in the interior is pretty extreme under load (partial throttle or otherwise) but you can shift around it. I like it but it's going to take some getting used to. It'll happen though.

slap on a "SOLO MACH X" cat back= ZERO DRONE MAX SOUND!!

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
2012 Challenger R/T 6-speed Resonator Delete - YouTube

All I can say is that A) It's loud as HELL in the car now (which is awesome) and B) The muffler shop guy is an idiot.

Love this
I just can't get over how close it sounds to all of the Zoomers videos that people put up. I am quite happy with my resonater delete set up considering the cost. The only catbacks I would pay for are the Borla ATAK or Corsa Extreme.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Registered
588 Posts
"Yeeeee Haaaa!!!! Bo Duke...Get it baby!!!"

That cracked me up from the video.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Yeeeee Haaaa!!!! Bo Duke...Get it baby!!!"

That cracked me up from the video.
yeah I didn't say Yeehaa but I did say "Get it Baby" lol. I didn't notice how long my sideburns were until that video. They call me Elvis at work and I see some truth to it ha ha.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Q: Loud doesn't bother me...but...Does it drone...if so how bad (I don't mind a little as I'm half deaf).

My SRT exhaust is very efficient. Don't believe I'll do any better, unless I get Long Tubes. I want more sound. How does it sound?
Take it from another guy with a 392 6-speed... The resonator delete is hands-down the best money I have spent on my car. Yes it has a slight drone around 1900-2000 rpm's. So on the highway, that's about 80mph. If you crack a window or have the radio above level 10, it's gone.

All other times, it just sounds downright badass and it's truly how the car should have arrived from the factory.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I finally ordered an exhaust kit. EricG knows I have gone back and forth a lot of what to do and I settled to do a catback from a place here in MN called Heart Throb Exhaust. Here is a video of their install on the shop owners 2011 392 6spd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E14kZ395Mcc

I got this ordered, waiting to hear back from Hemifever and maryland speed on a tuner package and lastly I am getting my TB ported by Fastman. He is local here in Minneapolis area so I am running my stock one over to him to mod while I am out of town early April.

Lots of changes coming!!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Take it from another guy with a 392 6-speed... The resonator delete is hands-down the best money I have spent on my car. Yes it has a slight drone around 1900-2000 rpm's. So on the highway, that's about 80mph. If you crack a window or have the radio above level 10, it's gone.

All other times, it just sounds downright badass and it's truly how the car should have arrived from the factory.
Totally Agree! I just removed the resonators and installed some Big Ass 5" exh. tips and DAMN the sound is just bad ass, I would bet anyone that their "high dollar" system can not sound better/louder than mine does!

Just saying................

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
The previous owner of my Charger had sawed off the resos and I thought it sounded awesome except a little too ricey (the slightly raspy roar drowned out any V8 rumble). But this mod is a huge bang for the buck and since I was broke after buying my Challenger I asked for the same thing (like you, with pipes and tips). The muffler guy of course pushed for different mufflers (actually resos) instead for more of a "muscle car" sound. I think I paid $350 instead of $100 and quite like it that way (I need some discretion with my DD and driving record), but at times I miss how rude my Charger sounded (burps, pops, crackles and deafening roars galore).
I frankly never noticed any drone except in MDS mode, but I don't hear all frequencies that well.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Totally Agree! I just removed the resonators and installed some Big Ass 5" exh. tips and DAMN the sound is just bad ass, I would bet anyone that their "high dollar" system can not sound better/louder than mine does!

Just saying................

It's all subjective. Just as I subjectively thought to myself "5 inch tips on a Challenger??? wtf??"

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Call me crazy but..........

First of all, I'm an old school hot rodder, and believe it or not, I believe that the louder my car is I tend to drive it at a lower speed to not get myself in trouble with the law, of course there are times that I just have to make more noise like when passing another "hot rod" looking car and while passing them, I just let off the peddle a little and just rubble past them, I just know that it sounds so intimidating that I even start laughing by my self.....
it is such a blast when I mess with others like that or when I see another Challenger or even a Mustang coming opposite of me, I just floor it for a second before we meet, that just cracks me up................

Like I said, Call me crazy.................

·
Registered
404 Posts
I know there's a thread that answers this question somewhere but just to be clear, the resonators are right behind the exhaust tips, correct? Or are those the mufflers?

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The resonators are right behind the exhaust tips. The mufflers are cylindrical and located in the transmission tunnel

·
Registered
21 Posts
Did you cut out both resos and mufflers or just resonators?

Would you recommend deleting both?

I want the loudest, meanest sound. I don't mind the drone, I actually wear ear plugs when I'm driving anyway (Etymotic Research... Google em). They reduce the SPL pretty equally across the sound spectrum so you still hear everything in their proper proportions, just quieter and easier on your ears.

Call me a pansy, but ever since my DJing days, I've learned to value my hearing and learned that it's definitely a "marathon" when it comes to preserving your precious ear drums. Tinitus and loss of hearing is not fun, especially when you're a music junkie like me.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I deleted the resonators only. Wouldn't know about going straight pipes. The thing I don't understand is why you would want the loudest car possible and then use ear plugs. I think the resonator delete would be the best choice for you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I deleted the resonators only. Wouldn't know about going straight pipes. The thing I don't understand is why you would want the loudest car possible and then use ear plugs. I think the resonator delete would be the best choice for you.
The same reason a car has a nice paint job on tge outside, even tgough youre driving from the inside...

Earplugs are for the longer commutes, but even just starting up the engine i wanna hear that beast roar...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts