Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any type of issues under the hood at pick up? Went yesterday to look at the car after being on vacation; It arrived the day I was leaving and I did not have time to get it. Car had been detailed and looked amazing. Then I looked at the hood hinges - trunk as well. The bolts on the trunk hinges had obviously all been adjusted after paint applied since they all had paint chips and marks. Nothing crazy, a little clean up and touch up and good to go; I can do that. But under the hood? There must have been an attempt at an adjustment there as well, but then somebody liberally applied touch up paint to the bolts, hinges, and hood. Looked ridiculous. Almost looked like the color didn't quite match, and it was just brushed all over, like a kid had scribbled with a crayon.

Salesman is a good guy - great Scat Pack/Mopar guy. He's going to have their shop take care of it. If they do it right, no problem. It happens. But I wanted to ask you all:

1. The under hood paint on this '19 Scat Pack Widebody is flat, no clear. Engine bay as well. My '15 was clear coated in the bay. Is this now the norm?
2. Does FCA allow a car to leave the factory (or I guess possibly up fitter) in this condition?
3. Any chance the dealership did this to the hood/trunk trying to correct fitment?

I'm not about bashing the dealership or the salesman. I just want the car to look like a new car should look before I pay for it.

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
My Sublime 2015 RT plus the engine bay has No clear
My buddies 2015 Go Mango does have clear , never understood it

Reactions: kstay203

·
Registered
15,840 Posts
Car could have been fixed or repaired along the way, never saw anyone post about the Upfitter leaving paint marks all over and doubt it left Brampton like that.

R/Ts have no clear coat under hood (unless a Shaker) so that's normal although nobody likes it. Only Hellcats and Shakers have clear coat.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Car could have been fixed or repaired along the way, never saw anyone post about the Upfitter leaving paint marks all over and doubt it left Brampton like that.

R/Ts have no clear coat under hood (unless a Shaker) so that's normal although nobody likes it. Only Hellcats and Shakers have clear coat.
The more I thought about it after leaving the dealership the more I thought that it would not leave the factory that way. And can't imagine why the Upfitter that adds fender flares and wide wheels/tires would have any need to adjust the hood/trunk.

My '15 was a Shaker, so that makes sense at least.

Added a photo of the one side under the hood. May have to look closely to see all the scribbling. Easy to see
the extra touch up paint on the line.

IMG_1395.jpeg

·
Registered
15,840 Posts
Upfitter only adds the wheels and tires, Brampton does the flares.

Here's a truckload leaving Brampton heading to Upfitter . .

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,653 Posts
Not at pick up but when after 2 months I decided to get rid of my 2 month old 2018 Scat Pack to make room for a new Hellcat when I had the car appraised at CarMax the guy who checked the car over noticed the front hood hinge bolts had signs of wrenching. The fender bolts were untouched. The rear hinge bolts were untouched. The guy checked other fasteners up front and found no signs of wrenching on them. (If he had it could have been a sign the car had been in some kind of collision.) I assured him the car had never been in the shop for any body/paint work. He believed me.

The signs of wrenching on the hood hinge bolts was from the bolts being loosened and the hood adjusted for a better fit/alignment after assembly. It would appear Dodge has a problem building $40K cars.

Before I bought my Hellcat I checked all the fasteners/bolts and found none had been touched. (I missed a horribly misaligned tail light. My defense is I have bought a number of cars before and never encountered bad body panel or light fits.) Based on my experience with my Hellcat -- things/issues besides the misaligned taillight -- it apears Dodge can't build $70K cars either.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I get the need for adjustments. One would think it could be perfect fit from the get go, but it's never perfect. I'm okay with the adjustment being made, but good lord, make it look good when done.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The under hood paint on my car almost looks like a rattle can job and the body part alinement is not good on the rest of the car.
But I think that Dodge may be a bit more popular for their drivetrains other than their exterior/interior work.

·
Registered
15,840 Posts
The underhood normally not bad and would look good if they clearcoated but they only do that for Shakers and Hellcats.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
908 Posts

Hi Slidd, Could you elaborate on why Shakers and Hellcats have clear under hood while others don't. The engine compartment clear on my SPS is very good, it appears to have been done before any engine compartment assembly. The color and clear on underside of hood is less impressive, the front of the hood underside is acceptable although the clear gloss is not equal to the engine compartment. The area around and between hinges is light on color and clear, 1/4" inside each hinge has little color, mostly gray. The outside of the hood appears to be a perfect match so they got the important part correct. Looks like the Shaker hood was painted after it was installed.

Not complaining, just curious

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,653 Posts
I get the need for adjustments. One would think it could be perfect fit from the get go, but it's never perfect. I'm okay with the adjustment being made, but good lord, make it look good when done.
Well, I'm not ok with post assembly adjustments. If the hood comes from the assembly line mis-aligned and yet can be aligned afterwards why can't it be properly aligned when first fitted.

If hoods are being fitted improperly from a video of Dodge cars being built that guy who makes a big show of walking around each car as it comes off the line needs to get his eyes checked.

·
Registered
10,135 Posts
No engine bay clear coat is "retro".

Close the hood, drive it, and enjoy the car.

·
Registered
324 Posts
No engine bay clear coat is "retro".

Close the hood, drive it, and enjoy the car.
ARE YOU INSANE!?!? (that's me yelling into my laptop)
We have to be OCD about everything on this car.
But seriously, I am selling my car and the next one is only going to have two options.
A8 and wide body.
And as long as it causes my eyes to roll back in my head when I mash the throttle it will be fine.

·
Registered
10,135 Posts
ARE YOU INSANE!?!? (that's me yelling into my laptop)
We have to be OCD about everything on this car.
But seriously, I am selling my car and the next one is only going to have two options.
A8 and wide body.
And as long as it causes my eyes to roll back in my head when I mash the throttle it will be fine.
Yep, I ordered my '16 in August of '15. A8, WRT wheels, and Modern R/T hood stripe.

That's it, kept it simple and didn't need or want any other factory options. I did add TA style side stripes and tinted the windows.

If I were to order one today, it would also be the A8 and wide body only options. Tint the windows and done.

A lot of folks thought that I was nuts going lean on all the toys. Oh well, it makes me SMILE!

41577.jpg

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For the record, it really doesn't matter to me if they clear coat under the hood. I just didn't like whoever's attempt it was to touch up after the adjustment. If that person had taken the time to touch things up correctly I'd be driving home with my new Go Mango Widebody instead of typing this. They will make it right, it will just take a little longer. But, no matter if the under hood is clear or not, the gas pedal is the best option on these cars!

·
Registered
264 Posts
The more I thought about it after leaving the dealership the more I thought that it would not leave the factory that way. And can't imagine why the Upfitter that adds fender flares and wide wheels/tires would have any need to adjust the hood/trunk.

My '15 was a Shaker, so that makes sense at least.

Added a photo of the one side under the hood. May have to look closely to see all the scribbling. Easy to see
the extra touch up paint on the line.

View attachment 976538
It looks like they adjusted your hood (May have been misaligned a bit) then painted it to cover the old marks but did a poor job painting. Just a thought anyway

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It looks like they adjusted your hood (May have been misaligned a bit) then painted it to cover the old marks but did a poor job painting. Just a thought anyway
I agree; that's what it looked like to me as well. Would have been better if they had simply left the marks there.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, stopped by today after work because the salesman said the car was ready. They did an outstanding job with the paint. Absolutely perfect. Repainted entire underside for the hood. Will be picking it up Saturday morning. And here's the really amazing part: If I had taken delivery this past Monday like it was intended, before the paint situation, I would have received the $1,750 cash allowance rebate. But, as of today, the rebate went up to $4,850! $3,100 to the good! Sometimes things just work out in your favor...?

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,420 Posts
Well, stopped by today after work because the salesman said the car was ready. They did an outstanding job with the paint. Absolutely perfect. Repainted entire underside for the hood. Will be picking it up Saturday morning. And here's the really amazing part: If I had taken delivery this past Monday like it was intended, before the paint situation, I would have received the $1,750 cash allowance rebate. But, as of today, the rebate went up to $4,850! $3,100 to the good! Sometimes things just work out in your favor...?
DEAL! That is awesome, win, win, win, right? Tire money!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts