Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

ZL1addons.com has a Demon/2019 Hellcat and Red Eye Splitter Protector for sale. It looks like this and I was wondering if anyone has installed it?

From the photo it has a lip protector that I think I see screws holding it in place, and it has "wear knobs" (my term) that would be the first to contact the ground (or damn speed bump!).

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Thanks,

Finface

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1455/0738/products/JDJ_4045_1024x1024.JPG?v=1548480309

·
Registered
46 Posts
Not sure if you ordered a wide body or not. I have been out of the loop for a while. But, having
owned one, I would highly recommend that you address immediately upon delivery rock guards or mud
flaps, or whatever you would like to call them. Rocks and road debris WILL destroy your beautiful new
paint. I would recommend paint protection for flares and along the side of the
car a third of the way up the door, and behind the front flares and in front of the rear flares. You will find
that the wide tires will kick up rocks and debris. Just a word of caution, finface. Good luck with your
new ride!

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Now, that's what I've been waiting for, anything but that out of place yellow that came with these cars, except mine didn't even have that installed upon delivery. I'm down. good info there bud....

HOT ROD ON

·
Registered
318 Posts
Not sure if you ordered a wide body or not. I have been out of the loop for a while. But, having
owned one, I would highly recommend that you address immediately upon delivery rock guards or mud
flaps, or whatever you would like to call them. Rocks and road debris WILL destroy your beautiful new
paint. I would recommend paint protection for flares and along the side of the
car a third of the way up the door, and behind the front flares and in front of the rear flares. You will find
that the wide tires will kick up rocks and debris. Just a word of caution, finface. Good luck with your
new ride!
What He said! 2500 miles and I'm getting a lot of road rash also.

·
Super Moderator
12,972 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A Guy,

I saw those simple wear knob protector first and thought they would be a good thing. I should have provided the link to the full protector in my OP. Here it is.

https://zl1addons.com/products/demon-wide-body-challenger-splitter-protection

And it has three pieces that cup over the splitter and looks like the same kind of wear knob protectors. It's $50 more for the full protector, which might help for more frontal collisions with parking lot curbs, etc. I'll try and back in as many have learned to do, but Murphy's Law has got to bite these splitters from time to time.

Contrasting $100, or $50 for just the underside wear knobs, with the cost of a replacement splitter?

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1455/0738/products/JDJ_4053_1024x1024.JPG?v=1548480309

Best,

Finface

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree as well rock guards are a must!! We have custom accessories and have our rock guards attached to side splitters and also attaches to our lip kits. Keeps the dirt from flying as well as keeping dirt off the paint

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are photos of the installed zl1addons.com Demon/Red Eye Wide Body front splitter protector I just put on my Red Eye. I did this myself, which is a quasi-miracle given my limited mechanical aptitude, and I only really could do it because I have a car lift and could get access to removing both underbody panels and reaching under the most forward panel to hold the nut in place to screw some bolts onto. On my car there is a panel that funnels air towards the front brakes and this panel interfered with my reaching my arm up in there like a third party video showed was practical.

I sent an email to zl1addons - after talking to them during the installation - explaining how I did it and I think they are making a new video. There were great to work with on this project.

If any one who has a Demon or Red Eye wide body splitter wants to know more about how I did this I could send them my email that I sent to zl1addons with a photos and fuller explanation than here. In these first two photos the protector is installed, but I haven't replaced the rubber plugs in the square and circular holes behind it, or replaced the under body panels.

A Guy in a previous post suggested the less expensive option of just screwing in the knobs that would take the "hit" might be good. I would think so too and it might be a much easier install. Deciding which would be worth a call to zl1addons.com for your particular car.

Best,

Finface

Attachments

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
If any one who has a Demon or Red Eye wide body splitter wants to know more about how I did this I could send them my email that I sent to zl1addons with a photos and fuller explanation than here. In these first two photos the protector is installed, but I haven't replaced the rubber plugs in the square and circular holes behind it, or replaced the under body panels.Best, Finface

Looking good!, just recently finished the installation as well and only had to remove one of the square plugs in the process. Now that I have that out of the way, the stone guards are next on the list....

HOT ROD ON

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Drag City,

Dropping the under body panels and removing those screws that would allow getting to the topside nuts - then removing all the rubber plugs wouldn't be necessary (although would allow more light in there). I think this protector will be worth having. As I mentioned just having the metal knobs installed would also be a viable option.

DGatzby,

Did you think to paint the fasteners before or after installation? Your splitter protector looks perfect. I might dab some black paint on my fasteners after seeing your work.

Best,

Finface

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Drag City,

Dropping the under body panels and removing those screws that would allow getting to the topside nuts - then removing all the rubber plugs wouldn't be necessary (although would allow more light in there). I think this protector will be worth having. As I mentioned just having the metal knobs installed would also be a viable option.

DGatzby,

Did you think to paint the fasteners before or after installation? Your splitter protector looks perfect. I might dab some black paint on my fasteners after seeing your work.

Best,

Finface
Ha, yes I did think of it. But, I just taped around them carefully and got out some real nice Rustoleom flat back and sprayed them. I did not want to wait to let it dry and try to screw them in through the fresh paint. It really is a stout product. I had one on my previous 2015 HC, maybe scraped one or two of the bottom protectors once or twice in about 20,000 miles. They are very resistant to problems if you scrape it. What is wild is how almost paper thin that splitter is.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I saved the one that came on my widebody and I'm thinking of just painting it black and putting it back on. I also have some glossy black vinyl wrap I might use but the spoiler is a mat finish so I will probably paint it mat black. I did notice the factory one has raised letters on both sides saying " to be removed by dealer", that will have to be sanded off first. It does trap some dirt so I might also drill some holes to let it drain.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Drag City,

DGatzby,

Did you think to paint the fasteners before or after installation? Your splitter protector looks perfect. I might dab some black paint on my fasteners after seeing your work. Best, Finface

Really like the metal cones as well Finface, I really feel protected after the install. Researched the the product and viewed the install clip prior to ordering the kit and was somewhat disappointed when the bolts in the hardware package were not as in the clip. Contacted ZL1 and was told that the black bolts were used on the prototype but placed the cad bolts in the kit. Since I had the front pan off to drain the oil cooler, decided to do the install, but will be ordering some black anodized hex bolts to replace them in the future...

I saved the one that came on my widebody and I'm thinking of just painting it black and putting it back on. I also have some glossy black vinyl wrap I might use but the spoiler is a mat finish so I will probably paint it mat black. I did notice the factory one has raised letters on both sides saying " to be removed by dealer", that will have to be sanded off first. It does trap some dirt so I might also drill some holes to let it drain.

Had the same plan but as I stated earlier, mine had been removed and came without the front yellow protector. Found your post quite informing regarding the wording on that protector. I kept hitting the dealer up on getting the one that came with the car and got nothing but the usual runaround. Finally was told that the transport driver had removed them when he had unloaded the car. What a bunch of clowns....

HOT ROD ON

·
Registered
176 Posts
There are normally some removed factory protectors on Ebay but mine was still on the car when I got it since I had directed them in advance not to remove it and not to drill the front bumper. I was surprised that they did what I asked when I ordered it because I had canceled the order the next business day due to issues with the interest rate, but they built the car anyway and I only knew about it after it arrived at the dealer. In the end it worked out and I took the car. I am also considering adding an aftermarket splitter with supports so I may not put the protector back on in the long run.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts