Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a classic example of a drag race where the faster car loses due to a poor driver.

In the case, a Challenger Demon was racing against a Porsche 911 Turbo S. The Demon should be almost 2 seconds faster than the Porsche's 11.2 sec. time in the quarter. However, the Demon gets embarrassed because its driver smokes the tires all the way down the track!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
That's not because of a poor driver that's what happens with tons of power on an unprepared road with a RWD front engined car.

The Porsche has the engine in the rear and launches way better on marginal surfaces.

If they swapped drivers the result would be about the same so there's nothing to be embarrassed about. I don't think most people realize how difficult it is to put 800hp to the ground from a dig without slicks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah, that's the difference between throwing more and more power into this old RWD platform vs engineering every last detail of a car to work in perfect harmony and efficiency. But let's be honest, we are all here because we love the "dumb" power. It is fun, simple and affordable!

This also reminds me.. My friend has an Audi A7 3.0 diesel quattro. We had a snowy drag race (for fun) where he was long gone before I managed to find any sort of tracktion. So yeah, I lost.. But his car uses speakers inside and outside of the car to emulate v8 sounds. So in my head, I'm still winning; having the real thing :D And when we repeat the race in summer, I will probably have my revenge.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,494 Posts
Would hazard a guess neither driver is very good. The Porsche won because the driver used launch control.

I've seen a N/A Porsche 4S (AWD version) and fitted with the PDK tranmission launched with launch control. The car left the line like a shot. And it was on old crumbly auto dealer parking lot pavement too.

·
Super Moderator
14,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's not because of a poor driver that's what happens with tons of power on an unprepared road with a RWD front engined car.

The Porsche has the engine in the rear and launches way better on marginal surfaces.

If they swapped drivers the result would be about the same so there's nothing to be embarrassed about. I don't think most people realize how difficult it is to put 800hp to the ground from a dig without slicks.
The Demon should stay in its natural element- the track.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,894 Posts
Honestly, one reason why I've not seriously considered a HC is because it's tough enough to get traction with the 392's 485 HP, never mind trying to put down another 230+ HP to the pavement. My next car will be a wide body for sure.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,268 Posts
The Demon driver shouldn't feel bad because there are ALOT of cars that have been embarrassed by the Turbo 911 S. They are Wolf's in Wolf's clothing and are just one of the most balanced High Performance cars made. They do everything well in that they can accelerate, turn and stop with anything short of a Supercar. I've actually ridden in a 911 Turbo with the Porsche PDK trans and launch control, it's a pretty Amazing setup (as Rockster stated and I'm agreeing with him) that can cause some neck damage if you're not prepared for take off. They are some VERY Impressive automobiles!

Dodge's undoing on pretty much all of their performance cars is going to be traction and lack of a tire. The Demon ran what it did because it had a prepped track. I think that Dodge makes the mistake of not offering a wider wheel/better tire option to potential buyer (like the drag pack box that came with the Demon). There is quite a bit of money to be made by them by doing this instead of letting the aftermarket get that money.

Just my thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
22,670 Posts
Demon embarrassed by driver...

A Guy

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,042 Posts
AWD FTW all day long off the line on generic pavement that is worse than street roads (no traffic to keep dust/debris clear) and yeah, typical Dodge test "I'm not going fast enough, maybe if I keep flooring it off the line..."

·
Registered
204 Posts
2 different animals , our srt ,hellcat demon, are straight line cars that are tire burners a blast to drive. But they are not on class with a 911 turbo s a 250 k ultimate track / road course monster. Even if you had a pro driver in the demon off track on street it would still lose most. 911 turbo s is one of the very few that you can dam near beat anyone off the stop light those things put the p100 d teslas to shame with a frickin simple tune. It will beat you from a dead stop and lap you on a road course iam not a porshe guy never owned one nevertheless spend 250k or 75k 🤷

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did anyone mention that a Porsche 911 Coupe (991.2 Series) Turbo S weighs 1675 Kg / 3693 lbs. vs. 4400 for the DEMON

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would think that 9/11 puts power to the pavement in a much more efficient fashion than any Demon ever could.
sorry but you can't just floor it at 5000 rpms it will never get traction. You have to know how to use the power for one thing and it depends on the tires/suspension set up also. My Hellcat at 838 hp I take off at 3000 and under if spin tires they will keep spinning to much power. It takes time to get used to can't just jump in one and expect to the most out of it without practice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just watched this video this morning. Its an apples to oranges comparison if you ask me. The porche is way lighter, AWD, and 680HP. Its way better at putting all that power down to the street. That being said, That guy had no idea how to drive the Demon properly. Not saying he would have won (Well he should have won the roll races) but he'd at least had a better showing.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts