1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
804 Posts
The Vette definitely has better off the line traction. It also has 900 lb less weight. That is a huge advantage in itself.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
That track is dusty as hell

C8 is an impressive car but take it to the strip the damn thing is on drag radials

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Fake news, These magazine drivers all think they are experts, manually short shifting the Demon to avoid beating the C8 in their setup 1/4 mile race on nearly gravel. HE ADMITS TO USING LAUNCH CONTROL! ABSOLUTELY NOBODY USES THAT IN A HELLCAT, DEMON OR REDEYE, EVER! He had a horrible launch then he avoided the Demon peak HP above 6000 rpm by short shifting. I have seen them all do the same, if they begin to run down anything made many Chev or Ford, they grab the manual shifter and upshift quick as they can.

·
Registered
6,469 Posts
Fake news, These magazine drivers all think they are experts, manually short shifting the Demon to avoid beating the C8 in their setup 1/4 mile race on nearly gravel. HE ADMITS TO USING LAUNCH CONTROL! ABSOLUTELY NOBODY USES THAT IN A HELLCAT, DEMON OR REDEYE, EVER! He had a horrible launch then he avoided the Demon peak HP above 6000 rpm by short shifting. I have seen them all do the same, if they begin to run down anything made many Chev or Ford, they grab the manual shifter and upshift quick as they can.
You don't think he used the trans brake and just let the A8 work it's magic, all by itself? And if not, the race does sound rigged.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
You don't think he used the trans brake and just let the A8 work it's magic, all by itself? And if not, the race does sound rigged.
When he was literally checking things off before the race, besides the Drag Mode he announced he was using Launch Control. We know what these cars do in a quarter mile race, and while the C8 pulls off the line, a Demon, Redeye and good running Hellcat have pulled on the C8 on the top end. Notice this guy does not. He never allows the Demon to shift auto either, watch him doing the “roll on”, he short shifts it manually. He should have spanked it BIG on the roll race, but again, has his finger on the pedal shifter. Those of us who drive a RE or Demon know those last few hundred RPM are where the power really comes.

Reactions: Frank Julian

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,164 Posts
Corvette is impressive, but...

A Guy

Reactions: DGatzby

·
Registered
2019 Hellcat Redeye
22 Posts
Look, we all love Challengers here, but it's okay to admit that they're near impossible to launch on the street. I don't know why literally EVERY video that shows a Challenger getting beaten has so many "he doesn't know how to drive" commenters. If the car is SO hard to launch that you need to be a professional to do it well, then that's a problem. "Oh, you have to use/don't use launch control, and feather the pedal in 2nd gear, etc) I could put my kid in a C8 and he could get within a few 10ths of launching a C8 because the launch control and traction control is that good. Very few other cars have this problem.

I just don't understand why it's so hard for everyone to just admit that Challengers don't launch well on the street. Sure, spray down a strip with a few gallons of VHT and it'll hook. But on any other surface, it's a smoke show.

·
Registered
6,469 Posts
Look, we all love Challengers here, but it's okay to admit that they're near impossible to launch on the street. I don't know why literally EVERY video that shows a Challenger getting beaten has so many "he doesn't know how to drive" commenters. If the car is SO hard to launch that you need to be a professional to do it well, then that's a problem. "Oh, you have to use/don't use launch control, and feather the pedal in 2nd gear, etc) I could put my kid in a C8 and he could get within a few 10ths of launching a C8 because the launch control and traction control is that good. Very few other cars have this problem.

I just don't understand why it's so hard for everyone to just admit that Challengers don't launch well on the street. Sure, spray down a strip with a few gallons of VHT and it'll hook. But on any other surface, it's a smoke show.
I can confirm this with my 5.7l with Nitto Motivo, when I first tested launch control (after I got it working) at a stop sign, I only had it set for 1000 RPM, the rear tires spun before I let go of the brake. I just wanted to see if it would hold the rpms, it did but the rear tires started slipping so I let off of the throttle.

·
Registered
2019 Hellcat Redeye
22 Posts
Just a quick follow up because I didn't want to do a ninja edit:

In MotorTrend's World's Greatest Drag Race, they had Finnegan bring Blasphemi along just to see how it'd do. What is that thing, 1000hp at the wheel? He's a competent drag racer. He runs 8s in the thing.

He got dead last. Why? He couldn't hook in any gear. Too much power at the tire and surface was a runway - dusty concrete.

Does that mean Blasphemi sucks or Finnegan can't drive? No. It just means the car can't hook and isn't really built for that. There's nothing wrong with admitting that. Put ANY of those cars on a drag strip with Blashpemi and it wouldn't even be close.

Put that C8 on a dragstrip with a Demon and it wouldn't even be close. But it's just not made for rough surface launches on street tires. It's like setting a lap time in a funny car and then busting the driver's balls because he's slower than a Miata.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
It is the driver! These guys don’t have a clue. My RE does 3.3 sec 0-60’s on a shitty street! I am not a pro. Lots of others can do the same. Put a RE or Demon on the dragstrip and it dives into the two second range. That still takes skill, it is not magic. You just cannot get in it and slam it open. A high powered car with that much torque takes some skill. Put a big engine over your rear wheels and yes, you can just nail it and it does pretty good. Hey, I love the Vette, they are good pieces, I may own a future upgrade of it for my road course fun, don’t get me wrong.

In that video, he is lucky to have a mid-four second 0-60! I have NEVER initiated LAUNCH CONTROL or LINE LOCK on my RE, now it has over 6000 miles. I have not talked to ANY experienced Hellcat drag racer who uses the manual shift. You can’t! We NEVER see anyone use the Launch Control, it just don’t work right. You HAVE to short second gear and probably third or you will hamstring it with a rev limit. I know one guy who uses it on a road course. I have used the manual on a road course to hold a gear in a carousel or long sweeper only.

That is why I always post that the magazine writers should write and just select some experienced drivers of Hellcats to demo the cars. Look at what happened when they put a REWB in the Motortrend Supercar Drag Race. He sucked in the first quarter. Same deal, they can’t launch them. But keep it WOT, and just point it straight and in the next 1/4 mile on the way to the half mile, it demonstrates it is the third quickest car on the planet in that segment.

Corvette is easy to launch, a kid can? Then put a kid into a Trackhawk and race it, those are easy to launch also. But what us Mopar types don’t like is the headline that a base C8 betters a Demon in an acceleration contest, because that is made up Hollywood style IMO, and I can have an opinion.

·
Registered
2019 Hellcat Redeye
22 Posts
It is the driver! These guys don’t have a clue. My RE does 3.3 sec 0-60’s on a shitty street! I am not a pro. Lots of others can do the same. Put a RE or Demon on the dragstrip and it dives into the two second range. That still takes skill, it is not magic. You just cannot get in it and slam it open. A high powered car with that much torque takes some skill. Put a big engine over your rear wheels and yes, you can just nail it and it does pretty good. Hey, I love the Vette, they are good pieces, I may own a future upgrade of it for my road course fun, don’t get me wrong.

In that video, he is lucky to have a mid-four second 0-60! I have NEVER initiated LAUNCH CONTROL or LINE LOCK on my RE, now it has over 6000 miles. I have not talked to ANY experienced Hellcat drag racer who uses the manual shift. You can’t! We NEVER see anyone use the Launch Control, it just don’t work right. You HAVE to short second gear and probably third or you will hamstring it with a rev limit. I know one guy who uses it on a road course. I have used the manual on a road course to hold a gear in a carousel or long sweeper only.

That is why I always post that the magazine writers should write and just select some experienced drivers of Hellcats to demo the cars. Look at what happened when they put a REWB in the Motortrend Supercar Drag Race. He sucked in the first quarter. Same deal, they can’t launch them. But keep it WOT, and just point it straight and in the next 1/4 mile on the way to the half mile, it demonstrates it is the third quickest car on the planet in that segment.

Corvette is easy to launch, a kid can? Then put a kid into a Trackhawk and race it, those are easy to launch also. But what us Mopar types don’t like is the headline that a base C8 betters a Demon in an acceleration contest, because that is made up Hollywood style IMO, and I can have an opinion.
Well, hopefully this plethora of reviewers, YouTube video creators, and all these people giving day-to-day anecdotes of not being able to get anywhere near factory 0-60 times on the street one day become as good a driver as you. You truly are the 1%. Congrats!

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Fake news, These magazine drivers all think they are experts, manually short shifting the Demon to avoid beating the C8 in their setup 1/4 mile race on nearly gravel.

"Fake news" Good one!. For a machine that can literally smoke-em at speed and being on that dusty ass road was a total joke. Never have seen anyone shift a drag car before without checking where the needle on the tachometer is located, lol. Run that race with a good driver behind the wheel on a prepped drag strip where the Demon excels and the race would be over before it began...

HOT ROD ON

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Well, hopefully this plethora of reviewers, YouTube video creators, and all these people giving day-to-day anecdotes of not being able to get anywhere near factory 0-60 times on the street one day become as good a driver as you. You truly are the 1%. Congrats!
Practice for 50 years with RWD and play on slick surfaces in the winter. Most of us old gray haired gents in the upper Midwest can do it. It is not rocket science son.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,075 Posts
I blame a good part of any Hellcat powered Challenger's (Redeye, Demon, Hellcat, etc) on Dodge lacking the forethought to give theses Beast's some tires! There is NO WAY that a three/four season radial or even a summer tire car hook up 700+ horsepower. At minimum, to get the most out of these cars, you need a drag radial or better yet, a set of slicks.

I'd like to see a good, knowledgeable driver in the Dodge and then do a rolling race for a half mile against the C8. The C8 might have better aero, but the Dodge would outpower it. This would be a good indicator of which was more important of the two......Power or aerodynamics.

I will give credit where credit is due though. Chevrolet did a Fantastic job with the C8 and I can't wait to see the C8 Z06 and ZR1's that are coming down the chute.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts