Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1

Premium Member
Plus the 10% buyers premium, tax , and transporting fee .
Do we call that crazy money!!!!

Premium Member
Very true. But.... It wouldn't be a Demon.
So....it would still be cooler than a Demon AND it wouldn鈥檛 have those rediculous looking excuses for a wide body.
While thinking about Barrett Jackson cars, where were all the old school muscle cars with four doors? There weren鈥檛 any as nobody cool would dare be caught in a four door.
Also notice how much less a muscle car sells for with an auto trans?
As much as I enjoy my SRT I know it won鈥檛 be worth anything as a collectible in the future.

Premium Member
Times have changed...remember when single strapping your backpack was considered cool?
Times have changed because Madison Avenue marketing told you you鈥檙e cool driving a 4 door charger using a well known nameplate. Before that they stuck a hemi in a station wagon named it a magnum and told you you were cool too, nope not then either. The 2008 Challenger only came in auto trans until the old school guys fave Chrysler so much crap about no manual trans that they caved in and built them and bent those owners over by up charging for it. I鈥檇 be driving something else if there were no 6 speeds in Challenger.
What is single strapping your back pack? We didn鈥檛 have back packs back in the day. We carried our books in our arms/hands.
It was a great time, I鈥檇 do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Registered
Times have changed because Madison Avenue marketing told you you鈥檙e cool driving a 4 door charger using a well known nameplate. Before that they stuck a hemi in a station wagon named it a magnum and told you you were cool too, nope not then either. The 2008 Challenger only came in auto trans until the old school guys fave Chrysler so much crap about no manual trans that they caved in and built them and bent those owners over by up charging for it. I鈥檇 be driving something else if there were no 6 speeds in Challenger.
What is single strapping your back pack? We didn鈥檛 have back packs back in the day. We carried our books in our arms/hands.
You mean you wouldn't by a Challenger if they put a 2 speed Power Glide, I mean Power Slide, in it ???

Just kidding...., I agree 100% with your view on manual transmissions as well as 4-door cars btw. Having said that, I also carried my books to school and can't count how many times I dropped them in the snow and slush getting off the school bus during the Massachusetts winters, but I digress. Good times indeed. :smile:

Registered
So....it would still be cooler than a Demon AND it wouldn鈥檛 have those rediculous looking excuses for a wide body.
While thinking about Barrett Jackson cars, where were all the old school muscle cars with four doors? There weren鈥檛 any as nobody cool would dare be caught in a four door.
Also notice how much less a muscle car sells for with an auto trans?
As much as I enjoy my SRT I know it won鈥檛 be worth anything as a collectible in the future.
It would be cooler than a Demon how? Most people think the widebody looks great, but you certainly don't have to. And make no mistake, those super high horsepower builds come with super high price tags too, and unlike the Demon will, those cars do not have any real long-term value and sell for pennies on the mod-dollar. Than there is the track reality. The Demon runs 9s stock, very few modded cars will run 9s.

Comparing old school muscle versus new school is not a valid argument. The musclecars of old certainly do sell for more with manuals, but that was the best way to drive them and usually the way to get the most performance out of them. That is definitely no longer true, new autos are fantastic. I would recommend trying one out, you may be surprised at how much you like it :) It feels fun going faster!

Premium Member
I drove an automatic Hellcat and sure it shifts fast but I want driver participation, not push the pedal and go. No manual in the car I have no interest.
I talk to my son and his friends, they love fast cars except the only thing they know about a wrench is it鈥檚 what the guys at the speed shop use to build and fix cars.
My crew of friends could build a motor, install a cam, change a clutch all either in our garages or in the driveway or street in front of the house. It sure is a different time, my opinion, not a better one.
I鈥檓 happy you enjoy all the new ways.

Registered
I talk to my son and his friends, they love fast cars except the only thing they know about a wrench is it鈥檚 what the guys at the speed shop use to build and fix cars.
My crew of friends could build a motor, install a cam, change a clutch all either in our garages or in the driveway or street in front of the house. It sure is a different time, my opinion, not a better one.
Pretty ignorant and generalized statement there...

Premium Member

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Oddly enough, I just found out that a friend of mine and client was the one who bought this. Maybe I'll get a ride?!!

Registered
Pretty ignorant and generalized statement there...
How so? Do you know his son and his son's friends personally to be able to make that statement?

Registered
"What is single strapping your back pack? We didn鈥檛 have back packs back in the day. We carried our books in our arms/hands."
LOL. Yep stack of books in my arms. Wouldn't have thought of that until you just brought it up.

Registered
How so? Do you know his son and his son's friends personally to be able to make that statement?
Yep so true. My buddies and I could do quite a bit in that garage or as you mentioned the driveway or street. :smile:

Registered
You are right, I don鈥檛 know his son. That鈥檚 not at all who I was referring to either.

I do know a lot of people, including myself, who have dug way deep into a car to fix or service it. There are 鈥渃ar kids鈥 here in ABQ who blow me away with their lack of hesitation to dig into a car, even on the side of the street. While they are not common, I doubt the guys referenced who do cam swaps in driveways we鈥檙e the 鈥渘orm鈥 back in the day either. My dad is 76, he had a lot of great muscle cars brand new and I know he didn鈥檛 wrench鈥檚 on them, he had other people do it, just like I do now because I have a long-hour white collar job and I coach high school wrestling which doesn鈥檛 allow for much spare time. But if I didn鈥檛 and needed to do car stuff, I wouldn鈥檛 hesitate. Part of why I love this Dodge is because it isn鈥檛 terribly hard to work on for a lot of basic maintenance parts. All we can do is the best we can in the time we are in.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts