Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a 2010 6.1L SRT8 and really want to beef it up. Already found a stroker kit and heads at my local mechanic to bring it to 440ci that I plan to add. And looking for good supercharger

Might consider a new transmission, because I don't want the stock one to go boom when I reach my 800hp goal, any information will help.

If anyone knows any high performance superchargers with water/air intercoolers for under $10k ($20k limit on car, don't feel like spending more on the car than I did for the car($28k)), I would love to know (doesn't have to be street legal, our little secret). Want to make close to 800hp without NOS on pump gas from my estimated 660hp coming soon.

Current addons:
Cam with longer valve open duration
All other internals forged
11:5 compression ratio (will bring down for forced induction)
3:1 mixture 93 octane premium and 110 octane racing gas (bring mixture to 1:1 for forced induction)
NOS Nitrous kit, 100 wet shot (with pressure safety light and bottle heater)
E3 spark plugs
Twin Spec 1,595TQ FF Carbon clutch kit
Moroso oil pan
High flow oil filter
Change oil and add fuel injector cleaner, and lubricating oil additives every 300 miles (not really an addon, but I baby this car)
Fore Precision triple pump fual hat (incase I feel like breaking 1000hp in the future)
High Flow Billet fuel rails
90lb DeatschWerks Fuel Injectors
Cut off catalytic converter (not needed in MT)
Glasspack exhaust
Nitto NT05R tires
Billet Aluminum fly wheel
4.55 ratio Dynatrac Dana 60 rear axle (for acceleration, I don't need to go more than 140mph)
ECU flashed for traction control with new axle (pain in the ass to figure out), reset traction control to full on or full off (no more partial) without losing stability control
Previous owner already put a racing suspension package under it.

If there is anything else I could use for a reasonable price (under $5k) to raise the hp please let me know.

About 555hp without NOS
Hoping for at least 660hp after stroke and heads, and 800hp after supercharger and 900 total with NOS on pump gas.

Inspiration for the build is my friend just bought a 2013 Camaro ZL1 and stroked it to 402 (or something like that) and raised the boost on the supercharger to get 680hp for $62k total. I want to show him up on every aspect of a car by a lot for under $50k. (even spent $2k on speakers) And to fulfill the dreams I had as a teenager to have the baddest muscle car out there, and to have the most luxurious car all in one.

Update 1:
Broke my budget by $2k, and still need the transmission, maybe new ignition coils, and a professional dyno tune.

Added performance transmission cooler, high flow fuel pump, and oil cooler and Billet aluminum flywheel.

Just ordered the 1-piece Carbon Fiber CV shaft from thedriveshaftshop thanks to Toxic11

Stroker kit came in, ordered some plasma-molly piston rings and some chrome dress-up parts for all over the engine. Will start working on engine as soon as the SC comes in and I figure out the best cam to go with.

Decided on the Kenne Bell 3.6LC SC with a cold air intake at about 15 psi. What compression ratio should I use with 440cu, 15 psi, all forged parts, and ported heads?
Definitely not going cheap on the new cam. Thinking about somewhere around .559/.571 (intake/exhaust) lift and .050 duration, or does anyone know of anything better for that boost?

Buying new radiator with an extra layer on the core.
Plan on buying extra radiator fans, flipping backwards and mounting in front of the radiator for better low speed cooling.

Still need information on a manual transmission (preferably one rated at or higher than 1200+ hp), timing changes, aftermarket high capacity gas tanks, and if better ignition coils will make a difference. And has anyone ever heard of a rev limiter on a challenger, cause I would prefer not to blow it up if I ever get an over active foot.
All recommendations helpful.

Once build is complete, will take car to Bozeman to get a professional (insured) dyno tune to get the most out of it, and take pictures of dyno graphs, under the hood, and some videos of it racing and burnouts.

Update 2:
Ready to install new radiator. Canned the idea of front radiator fans because the SC will need an intercooler in its place. Went with Blackworth fans in place of the stock ones for better air flow.

Ordered a shift light and added a lower rpm rev limiter to be set on my final custom tune, because 440ci stroker won't have a redline near what a 392 has.
Ordered red LED strip to put behind grill, two shorter LED strips because I will cut out the little hood scoops on the stock hood to make them real hood scoops and install the strips there, and three extra long LED strips to put under the seats so the have a nice glow coming from underneath.
Ordered ACC chrome SS tail light insert trim.

Thanks to BlackCuda, I will be calling up SouthernHotRod about them building me a Viking transmission from the ground up perfect for my needs.

Decided on going with pearl black paint with glossy bright red racing strips for the body. Matte black fp viper rims. Matte black paint over the grill just for a more darker look. 35% pearl red window tint on all windows for a mysterious but matching look. (For now I'm just standard silver with 20% window tint :/ ) about $11,000

No longer considering ordering:
The red GRANT Revolution steering wheel
Chrome tail light surround molding
ACC SS Chrome header plate
CG black dual CCFL halo projector headlights
Kit for all front halo lights changed to red to match grill lights
Mopar challenger front nose badge
Black Drake fuel door
Chrome Billet Tech door sill plate
Black RPI red thread Challenger SRT8 floor mat
ALL ORDERED

All this so the car will be completely customized and show room worthy, but not too busy looking and all matching. But only if I can save up a bit more money and skip a bill or two, cause I'm running close to broke as it is.

Friend just added nitrous 75 dry shot, water/air intercooler for the SC, lowered his car 2" and bought a whole racing suspension kit complete with brakes and the same tires I have on his 2013 camaro ZL1. So that justifies another $5k that I don't really have yet for my build. Might have to talk to my dad (I'm 35) for a loan. Embarrassing :eek3:

Update 3:

After seeing some previous dyno's with the kenne bell SC at only 15 psi and racing gas tune on a stock 392 making almost 800 hp, I realized I might be underestimating this build by a bit.
Going to be looking around for all the gear and software to hook my laptop up for tuning, so less money on dyno time shaving it down to perfect. I won't be doing major tune changes or building entire tunes, I'll leave that to the pros. Just tiny little touches based on the feel of it.

I called up the shop that will be building my tune and describing my build in a little more depth. They assume I will be looking at more around 1,050-1,100 on 93 pump gas (and also recommended I go with 12 psi instead of 15). I think to spare my motor, I will keep the tune at around 950 and drop the 100 shot down to a 75 shot and add more fuel to the shot mixture, and start running a 3:1 racing/pump mixture instead of 1:3 to stop possible detonations.

Throwing in a 168mm throttle body into the mix, and decided yes on better ignition coils cause why the hell not, I'm already going broke on this car.
8.5:1 compression ratio.

After a bank loan, two loans from my father, busting my life savings out of my piggy bank, countless hours of research,
FINAL estimated PRICE: About $79,000 ($30,000 on motor) before $28,000 price for car
Estimated possible hp: 1,350hp
Estimated safe tune: 1,200hp
Going with: 950-1050hp+75NOS

Still need info on ?
Intake/Exhaust lift and duration for a cam on the final build?
Aftermarket high capacity gas tanks that don't require too much modification?
Where to find a custom light up gauge set?

All inputs are welcome and enjoyed, ESPECIALLY the helpful ones!

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
for what you are trying to do ON THE FLY tuning is out of the question. you need dyno time and lots of it with what you are wanting to do.

if you truly are in route of 800hp.. you need axles trust me if you don't you will find out in a hurry.. also a different drive shaft unless you want to find out what a broken on comming up thru the floor looks like.
long tube headers i would would also. with no cats if you can get away with it.

the cam which you don't list any info on unless you stay n/a will have to be changed if you want to go to a blower, as it may not be happy with it.

chris

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
for what you are trying to do ON THE FLY tuning is out of the question. you need dyno time and lots of it with what you are wanting to do.

if you truly are in route of 800hp.. you need axles trust me if you don't you will find out in a hurry.. also a different drive shaft unless you want to find out what a broken on comming up thru the floor looks like.
long tube headers i would would also. with no cats if you can get away with it.

the cam which you don't list any info on unless you stay n/a will have to be changed if you want to go to a blower, as it may not be happy with it.

chris
I already have a 1 ton Dana 60 rear axle with a 4.55 gear ratio under it Dynatrac - Confidence to Explore®

Have the long tube headers and the list already shows my lack of catalytic converters with a flow through exhaust.
I have been hunting around for a drive shaft that can handle 1200+ hp for future addons

I will most likely be going through multiple cam changes in the near future just to get it perfect, but thanks for your input.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Also wondering if I should bump up the cooling with a radiator with an extra layer in the core, some better material and some better fans. I have heard that a push pull fan setup (electric fans on front and back) on radiators works very well.

Decided to add smaller SC pulley when I pick a charger, new fuel pump to help feed my 90lb fuel injectors, and most likely a really good cold air intake with a tube going to the grill with a sand filter on it for better and cooler airflow.

Kind of considering going with better ignition coils, but I have heard they don't really help that much and aren't necessary. Any input?

I am also very curious if I should mess with the timing, because with the stroker kit it won't go much over 5,500 rpm before redline, and my average cruising rpm will go down a bit, but I heard you retard the timing a bit for nitrous use although I will rarely use nitrous other than for a quick show of power to my buddies and the occasional female pedestrian, so should I change the timing by a bit or no?

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
TheDriveShaftShop has the drive-shafts you need in either Carbon or Alloy.

Do you have any photos of that Dana installed? I would love to see it (I'm a picture whore) :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What happened to everyone, I still need suggestions cause I'm not sure on some of the things for this build and I can stop after being halfway through it already.

Still have questions regarding best SC to use (need more than 100hp gain), what transmission to use to handle 800hp (preferably 1200+ hp for future addons), radiator and general cooling, ignition coils, and timing because of lower average rpm but some nitrous use???

Need answered by the time I put in the stroker kit (about two weeks), because I need it all done at once, already missed a lot of work building this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
TheDriveShaftShop has the drive-shafts you need in either Carbon or Alloy.

Do you have any photos of that Dana installed? I would love to see it (I'm a picture whore) :)
It's midnight here, and no previous pictures, so you'll have to wait for pictures of mine, but I got you a link for one on google, probably just as good if not better than any pictures I can get cause I won't have my car on a lift for about 2 weeks.

The photobucket link didn't work :icon_frown: but that was just a simple picture of the axle shaft

http://www.shophemi.com/images/upload/Dynatrac-500.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Carefull

Be careful with your build. I have a Auto so I cannot be much help there. KB is a good choice. I went with a Quafe 3.06 rear end for what I wanted, but I am chasing the mile not the 1/4 mile. You need to go to a good builder for what you want and with as much money that you are putting into the car you better use a good tuner. Last year I was making 810 RWHP on 14lbs of boost (4.2 KB), but that was about all that I could do safely with the way I build the engine ( I originally only planned for a 600 RWHP build ). Power Ported Performance built my first build in 2008 to 2010. Tim @ Mr Norms added the NOS 2011 and HPP converted GRIZZ to a Superbird also in 2011. Adam @ Spanking Times added the 4.2 KB in 2012. I had Adam @ Spanking Times build my new Engine and a new Tranny. We should be north of 1,000 RWHP (2013). I made 585 RWHP on 8 lbs of boost with a 2.4 Whipple and 686 RWHP with a 150 shot of NOS, on 8lbs of boost. I am also running on E-85. A lot cheaper than race gas. I will be running 20+ of boost this year with the 4.2 KB. 93 octane is hard to get here, so I have a 91 tune. I also have a 116 tune, but the E-85 does just as good. If you cannot get e-85 where you live you can make it real easy. You should give Adam a call. Build it right with room to grow. I have do something every year. In any event a big Howdy from Wyoming. I would like you to build as real beast.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Wow thanks, I have looked at the GRIZZ build thoroughly and am very impressed. This won't be my daily driver because this build is close to bankrupting me, and 4.55 rear end won't be so good on gas, but so far so good. I most likely won't see a drag strip more than 2 or 3 times in this car just to see what it really has. It will just be my comfortable street baby that enjoys weekend strolls and beating the pants off of mustangs and camaros that come my way. 800hp on pump gas I am confident I could build on my own as long as all the parts are right, given my mechanical history, and the shop doing my tuning is a great racing shop that insures their tuning jobs, so this will all be paid for if it blows up. I don't plan on reaching 1000+ hp for quite a few years either.

Over here in Montana 93 octane in just premium gas for us (about $3.50/gallon), it's everywhere, and in my town we have a lot of racing gas pumps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So far right now its just a luxury car though with all the interior and speaker modifications. Eventually gonna get a new paintjob, so I'm not looking so stock. Everyone is gonna say wow when seeing this car after a SC and 800hp with a glasspack.

·
Registered
401 Posts
So far right now its just a luxury car though with all the interior and speaker modifications. Eventually gonna get a new paintjob, so I'm not looking so stock. Everyone is gonna say wow when seeing this car.
Love the vision, man. Can't offer much in the way of advice, but I wanted to stop by and say I hope the project goes well.

The goal with my RT is to eventually get it into the "scary" range as far as street cars go. Necessary? No. . . but it's definitely a "do it because you can" type thing. And I just love the idea of driving around a beast I had a hand in creating.

Respect.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Love the vision, man. Can't offer much in the way of advice, but I wanted to stop by and say I hope the project goes well.

The goal with my RT is to eventually get it into the "scary" range as far as street cars go. Necessary? No. . . but it's definitely a "do it because you can" type thing. And I just love the idea of driving around a beast I had a hand in creating.

Respect.
Thanks man, with all the interior and exterior things I am going to do, people will think its more of a beautiful show car, until I fire it up and it has more bite than anyone would have guessed.

Good luck with your RT, I know that feeling of driving something you created all too well. I hope your project brings you as much joy as mine brings me, but at a lot less cost, because $55k is a lot of money for someone that doesn't even make that per year (me).

I have respect for anyone that is willing to sit down and learn, spend a bit of money, do some honest labor, and create something amazing and unique to them out of something already so great like a vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Build it

Wow thanks, I have looked at the GRIZZ build thoroughly and am very impressed. This won't be my daily driver because this build is close to bankrupting me, and 4.55 rear end won't be so good on gas, but so far so good. I most likely won't see a drag strip more than 2 or 3 times in this car just to see what it really has. It will just be my comfortable street baby that enjoys weekend strolls and beating the pants off of mustangs and camaros that come my way. 800hp on pump gas I am confident I could build on my own as long as all the parts are right, given my mechanical history, and the shop doing my tuning is a great racing shop that insures their tuning jobs, so this will all be paid for if it blows up. I don't plan on reaching 1000+ hp for quite a few years either.

Over here in Montana 93 octane in just premium gas for us (about $3.50/gallon), it's everywhere, and in my town we have a lot of racing gas pumps.
If you have the tools and the know how, it is just building the engine and that is great. That way you know what you got. All the better. Some of important parts of the equation to getting a great build are:
  1. Plenty of research
  2. The proper components for your build to do what you want it to do.
  3. The right supplier for the parts that you need
  4. The Tune The Tune The Tune
You need to get all you can out of your engine, without screwing it up. You need a good Tuner for that. You can buy safe canned tunes that will do pretty good, but you will never know how much you have left on the table. Be careful with guys that think they are Mopar tuners. Keep us all informed on how the build goes. Thanks for sharing and remember it is your monies and do what you want.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you have the tools and the know how, it is just building the engine and that is great. That way you know what you got. All the better. Some of important parts of the equation to getting a great build are:
  1. Plenty of research
  2. The proper components for your build to do what you want it to do.
  3. The right supplier for the parts that you need
  4. The Tune The Tune The Tune
You need to get all you can out of your engine, without screwing it up. You need a good Tuner for that. You can buy safe canned tunes that will do pretty good, but you will never know how much you have left on the table. Be careful with guys that think they are Mopar tuners. Keep us all informed on how the build goes. Thanks for sharing and remember it is your monies and do what you want.
I will post full 360 pics of it up on the lift and with the engine out, all the new parts and whatever else would be worth documenting. Some dyno graph pics. And once it's all said and done, a couple videos of a few burnouts and maybe a 1/4 mile run.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Last night wasn't a very good night. Playing around with my fiance doing burnouts and showing off when there was a head on collision and I had to call 911. After the wreck was all checked out and everything was done they turned their eyes onto my car and the layers of rubber on the turnout on the side of the road. Needless to say I got a ticket for careless driving. :mad:
Many more to come after the the build is done.

Just got the Billet flywheel in place, have the new radiator, found out I have a bit of customization to get it to fit but no real problem. I'm scrapping my idea of having a fan on the front because I remembered I will have an inter-cooler for the SC in the way, so just went ahead with a set of Blackworth fans for better flow.

Now I play the waiting game for parts. Still need information on a manual transmission with close to the same gear ratios that can withstand atleast 1200+ hp, if ignition coils make a difference, and what to do with my timing with lower average rpm and nitrous.

Censored some of the personal info. Don't quite like everyone out there too see too much.

Attachments

·
Registered
636 Posts
Last night wasn't a very good night. Playing around with my fiance doing burnouts and showing off when there was a head on collision and I had to call 911. After the wreck was all checked out and everything was done they turned their eyes onto my car and the layers of rubber on the turnout on the side of the road. Needless to say I got a ticket for careless driving. :mad:
Many more to come after the the build is done.

Just got the Billet flywheel in place, have the new radiator, found out I have a bit of customization to get it to fit but no real problem. I'm scrapping my idea of having a fan on the front because I remembered I will have an inter-cooler for the SC in the way, so just went ahead with a set of Blackworth fans for better flow.

Now I play the waiting game for parts. Still need information on a manual transmission with close to the same gear ratios that can withstand atleast 1200+ hp, if ignition coils make a difference, and what to do with my timing with lower average rpm and nitrous.

Censored some of the personal info. Don't quite like everyone out there too see too much.
Dude wtf....

So are you saying that your doing burnouts on the side of the road and distracting other drivers? Is that why there was a head-on collision or was this like texting related?

Either way look, be more careful on the street. I can tell by your weight your still a kid and you got some growing up to do. If you can't show some restraint NOW just imagine what it's gonna be like with a supercharger... you'll probably be dead.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Dude wtf....

So are you saying that your doing burnouts on the side of the road and distracting other drivers? Is that why there was a head-on collision or was this like texting related?

Either way look, be more careful on the street. I can tell by your weight your still a kid and you got some growing up to do. If you can't show some restraint NOW just imagine what it's gonna be like with a supercharger... you'll probably be dead.
I'm 35 just a smaller stature :indifferent:... But no, the head on was just a random accident that happened close to me, they were lucky I was there to call 911 for them, but I was unlucky to be doing what I was doing moments before the crash. Here when the cops see fresh burnt rubber they are on it like it was life an death.

I know quite a bit about constraint, but yeah at my semi young age this is my first really powerful car that I have owned, granted I have built and test driven some beasts back in my dad's shop.

Btw I'm 175 now, I've been working out cause I don't like being a twig. Thanks for pointing out my insecurities ****head! :icon_lol: jk. but thanks for your concern and advice, that's rare in these days.

·
Registered
636 Posts
That's good news. I imagined some 22 year old kid doing a burnout and almost going into traffic, forcing a car to swerve into the other lane and hit oncoming traffic.

Does your dad still own a shop?

Oh and before your saying something about your drivetrain. PWR offers a pretty nice " unbreakable" package... name is kinda funny but when you read up on it, it's impressive. The kit comes with 2 halfshafts, a driveshaft, a rear end ( no gear), I'm sure some other stuff to like hardware etc. PWR also sells all those items individually as well as transmissions. It gets pricey but you know your gonna break stock parts with what your planning on doing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts