Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sinamon Stick HellCat
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed out my leather D shaped leather steering wheel in my 2020 Scat to the Alcantara wheel from the Demon.
Had to purchase the bare wheel (6vd87ysaaa) and trim ring bundle (2 pieces) at 3, 9 and 6 o'clock (2 pieces) positions. Originally I thought I could reuse the 3 and 9 o'clock trim from the old wheel but the inside mounting points on the 2020 "D" wheel are located differently.

Once I got the wheel and trim, I decided to tackle the swap. Airbag- what a pain in the rear to get it off if you have never done it. Once I pulled the original wheel, I started the process of stripping it and putting the controls in the new wheel. Unfortunately, the original wheel uses a different wire harness to connect the controls. had to put it all back the way it was and order a new harness. let me tell you, there are a lot of different wiring harnesses...I finally got the correct one to work with my non lighted dodge airbag (2 wire horn connector) and heated wheel (no adaptive cruise) the lighted SRT airbag uses the 4 wire connector and I thought I was going to have to swap connectors off my old harness but luckily the new harness had the same connector. I ordered part wire harness 68224082aa for $33 and it was perfect. I still needed to source 4 screws for the 6 o'clock bezel and 2 for the right and left bezels as they were not the same as used on the old wheel. Any hardware will likely have what you need.

Everything went back together and worked, I'm very happy and cost was just over $550 all in plus my time. Maybe not worth the cost but I really like the Alcantara and the swap was fun to do myself.

My ride is a 2020 Hellraisin WB scat with caramel interior. It's winter in Michigan, don't judge.
Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering wheel Steering part
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Tread
Automotive tire Sports gear Automotive lighting Steering part Helmet

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack triple nickel 6 speed manual.
257 Posts
I did the same as you, but with a 2019 scat regular body. I bought a used demon wheel and found I couldn’t swap harnesses. I ended up buying a lighted SRT airbag. I just ordered the harness you bought so I can use my scat airbag if I get too much grief for the SRT airbag....thanks for the part number👍

A tip for the airbag removal is use a t handle Allen so you can easily get leverage to push in the release on the airbag.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A tip for the airbag removal is use a t handle Allen so you can easily get leverage to push in the release on the airbag.
Great idea! I used a rag on the end of a small Allen but my hand kept cramping up. Finally got the air bag off with a small screw driver with a fat handle. Grrrr

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With that harness in your demon wheel your horn and your heated wheel works?...
Yes, everything works. I reused my old dodge airbag as seen in picture at top of thread. it wont' work with the lighted SRT airbag without modification. Also I don't have the adaptive cruise either so I can't definitively say that works. Every button on my steering wheel pictured works just same as with my stock wheel.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus
35 Posts
Changed out my leather D shaped leather steering wheel in my 2020 Scat to the Alcantara wheel from the Demon.
Had to purchase the bare wheel (6vd87ysaaa) and trim ring bundle (2 pieces) at 3, 9 and 6 o'clock (2 pieces) positions. Originally I thought I could reuse the 3 and 9 o'clock trim from the old wheel but the inside mounting points on the 2020 "D" wheel are located differently.

Once I got the wheel and trim, I decided to tackle the swap. Airbag- what a pain in the rear to get it off if you have never done it. Once I pulled the original wheel, I started the process of stripping it and putting the controls in the new wheel. Unfortunately, the original wheel uses a different wire harness to connect the controls. had to put it all back the way it was and order a new harness. let me tell you, there are a lot of different wiring harnesses...I finally got the correct one to work with my non lighted dodge airbag (2 wire horn connector) and heated wheel (no adaptive cruise) the lighted SRT airbag uses the 4 wire connector and I thought I was going to have to swap connectors off my old harness but luckily the new harness had the same connector. I ordered part wire harness 68224082aa for $33 and it was perfect. I still needed to source 4 screws for the 6 o'clock bezel and 2 for the right and left bezels as they were not the same as used on the old wheel. Any hardware will likely have what you need.

Everything went back together and worked, I'm very happy and cost was just over $550 all in plus my time. Maybe not worth the cost but I really like the Alcantara and the swap was fun to do myself.

My ride is a 2020 Hellraisin WB scat with caramel interior. It's winter in Michigan, don't judge.
View attachment 1012987 View attachment 1012988 View attachment 1012989
If the wheel is bare why couldn't you transfer your old harness?

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus
35 Posts
The harness is different in the stock wheel versus the demon wheel. The demon wheel is bare.
That's why I would expect you could transfer the entire old harness unless the heated steering wheel connector is different. The reason I'm asking is because I have a 2015 rt with acc and paddle shifters with radio controls and I think the new harness you used will not work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's why I would expect you could transfer the entire old harness unless the heated steering wheel connector is different. The reason I'm asking is because I have a 2015 rt with acc and paddle shifters with radio controls and I think the new harness you used will not work.
There are 2 harnesses for the demon wheel. You need one of them. The airbag and heated connector parts are different than in the standard scat pack d shaped wheel. Any other wheel would depend on the harness inside being comparable with the demon wheel.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger RT
70 Posts
Wanted to add that the harness mentioned before, 68224082aa also worked flawlessly for me when I did the Hellcat steering wheel swap on my 2019 RT. My original wheel had no adaptive cruise, paddle shifters, and the heated option and now everything still works on the new wheel.

Thanks for the thread, because of it I got the correct harness on the first try

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
627 Posts
The 1320 comes from the factory with an Alcantara wheel too. I wonder if that would be more of a direct fit to a Scat than the Demon wheel?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts