Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sinamon Stick HellCat
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed out my leather D shaped leather steering wheel in my 2020 Scat to the Alcantara wheel from the Demon.
Had to purchase the bare wheel (6vd87ysaaa) and trim ring bundle (2 pieces) at 3, 9 and 6 o'clock (2 pieces) positions. Originally I thought I could reuse the 3 and 9 o'clock trim from the old wheel but the inside mounting points on the 2020 "D" wheel are located differently.

Once I got the wheel and trim, I decided to tackle the swap. Airbag- what a pain in the rear to get it off if you have never done it. Once I pulled the original wheel, I started the process of stripping it and putting the controls in the new wheel. Unfortunately, the original wheel uses a different wire harness to connect the controls. had to put it all back the way it was and order a new harness. let me tell you, there are a lot of different wiring harnesses...I finally got the correct one to work with my non lighted dodge airbag (2 wire horn connector) and heated wheel (no adaptive cruise) the lighted SRT airbag uses the 4 wire connector and I thought I was going to have to swap connectors off my old harness but luckily the new harness had the same connector. I ordered part wire harness 68224082aa for $33 and it was perfect. I still needed to source 4 screws for the 6 o'clock bezel and 2 for the right and left bezels as they were not the same as used on the old wheel. Any hardware will likely have what you need.

Everything went back together and worked, I'm very happy and cost was just over $550 all in plus my time. Maybe not worth the cost but I really like the Alcantara and the swap was fun to do myself.

My ride is a 2020 Hellraisin WB scat with caramel interior. It's winter in Michigan, don't judge.
Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering wheel Steering part
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Tread
Automotive tire Sports gear Automotive lighting Steering part Helmet

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack triple nickel 6 speed manual.
161 Posts
I did the same as you, but with a 2019 scat regular body. I bought a used demon wheel and found I couldn’t swap harnesses. I ended up buying a lighted SRT airbag. I just ordered the harness you bought so I can use my scat airbag if I get too much grief for the SRT airbag....thanks for the part number👍

A tip for the airbag removal is use a t handle Allen so you can easily get leverage to push in the release on the airbag.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A tip for the airbag removal is use a t handle Allen so you can easily get leverage to push in the release on the airbag.
Great idea! I used a rag on the end of a small Allen but my hand kept cramping up. Finally got the air bag off with a small screw driver with a fat handle. Grrrr

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also put the same wheel in my 19 Scat WB. I kept the Dodge airbag and I had to remove the paddles as my car is a manual...was a project for sure. Also thanks to Designflaw for the shift knob.
Car Vehicle Speedometer Gear shift Motor vehicle
Vehicle Car Mirror Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
161 Posts
HeadHowie where did you order your wiring harness from?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HeadHowie where did you order your wiring harness from?
ebay using the part number 68224082aa
mopar4all was the seller. It was just some parts department selling on ebay.

·
Registered
161 Posts
With that harness in your demon wheel your horn and your heated wheel works?...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With that harness in your demon wheel your horn and your heated wheel works?...
Yes, everything works. I reused my old dodge airbag as seen in picture at top of thread. it wont' work with the lighted SRT airbag without modification. Also I don't have the adaptive cruise either so I can't definitively say that works. Every button on my steering wheel pictured works just same as with my stock wheel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts