Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always park my car far away from everyone to avoid such things. Naturally, it happened in my own garage then. My wife, me, and my buddy came back the other night from the fireworks show and pulled the Jeep in the garage next to the Challenger. My wife tells my friend to be careful getting out since my car is kind of close. He then opens his door into my driver's side rear quarter panel. Fortunately, it is only about the size of a dime. Unfortunately, it is right on the body seam. I had a paintless dent guy try to fix it today with no luck because he cannot get at it from inside the car due to a support beam that runs the length of the car right over it. Anyone have a similar thing happen. I hate to go the paintwork route if I don't have to.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I always park my car far away from everyone to avoid such things. Naturally, it happened in my own garage then. My wife, me, and my buddy came back the other night from the fireworks show and pulled the Jeep in the garage next to the Challenger. My wife tells my friend to be careful getting out since my car is kind of close. He then opens his door into my driver's side rear quarter panel. Fortunately, it is only about the size of a dime. Unfortunately, it is right on the body seam. I had a paintless dent guy try to fix it today with no luck because he cannot get at it from inside the car due to a support beam that runs the length of the car right over it. Anyone have a similar thing happen. I hate to go the paintwork route if I don't have to.
Not all paintless dent repair guys are equal.

A few years ago my Charger got pummeled by a hail storm and I had over 800 dents in it. Dang thing looked like a golf ball after the storm.

I went to the dealership and asked them who they would use for this sorta thing and they gave me the name of a guy that ran his business out of a trailer. He got EVERY dent out of that car... I have no idea how. I am probably glad I didn't watch him do it. =)

I even had a dent that was right at the sunroof where the metal turns down into the car... he got it out.

So... long story short: Ask the dealer who they would use for paintless dent repair... They probably have the same ding/dent you do on their cars in the lots ALL the time.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The next step is to take it to Dodge and someone who works on them a lot. If that doesn't work, my friend owns a body shop. That is the last resort. I always could leave it too. It is not that big.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Not all paintless dent repair guys are equal.
^^^^ ....this.

Skill level and experience will differ between techs as will their ability to adapt to challenges. In some cases they can drill a hole in a relatively inconspicuous area to gain access behind the dent. A PDR tech who works for the dealer could have more experience on these cars as mentioned. ....but dealers don't always hire the best and prefer to save cost at the expense of quality.

·
Registered
629 Posts
What sort of prices do those paintless dent people charge? How much did the one with 800 dents charge?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Tim, in the NY area, PDR starts at about $150. I agree with Kean, the dealers don't all use the best PDR techs. My dealer, who dented my car while in service, dredged up some hack who did a lousy job trying to fix my right front fender.

I am going this weekend to a guy in Queens that I used before who does excellent work. I expect to pay around $200 for them to remove the remnants of the ding that the dealer caused. :disgust:

·
Registered
498 Posts
What sort of prices do those paintless dent people charge? How much did the one with 800 dents charge?
In the Chicago area they usually charge about 150 for the first average size dent and progressively lower for each dent after that. In the case of a hail damaged vehicle they usually come out about 50-75% of the paintwork cost depending on the dent locations and sizes. The work that can be done even on some of the bigger dents that I wouldnt think could even be repaired is remarkable.

As others have stated all PDR guys are NOT equal. If you find a good one...TIP him!

Dent Wizard employs some very good techs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts