Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I found a Silver SRT8 Dodge Challenger (2008) for 24k with only 19k miles (Site advertised 17k but it's been through that many "test" drives as me and the sales rep joked around). Sales Rep is actually a mopar head, Enjoyed the fact he finally had the chance to sell one as he works at a competitor foreign car dealer. Not worried about the dealership screwing me over. Just worried about missing something that even the dealership may not know since they don't specialize in dodges.

I took a quick walk around the car but it was already dark (4:30PM Lower NY) and raining so I couldn't see much but didn't see any damage or scratches visible from what I did look at. The Hood didn't have any visible crows feet from rocks or chipping and the glass was all clear.

Interior once again way too dark to see much but all felt clean, looked clean and dash was well maintained and uncracked. Everything I touched button and knob wise seemed to work but I didn't get to test it all cause I was kinda rushed between this holiday season since I'm a retail worker. Everything sounded great but I wasn't able to really go more then 25-30 due to the rain. Monday I'm going to hop on the highway before I finalize the paperwork.

I put down a 1,500$ Deposit so the dealership canceled the other two appointments they had for the car. I'm coming back on monday due to the holidays and weekend so we can finish the financing and I drive off. I've wanted a Challenger since 08' when I was in High School (I'm a youngin). This sweet deal for a SRT8 even the sales rep was credditing me on grabbing it up for this price. (It's located at a competitor foreign car dealer).

So when I go back monday, Anything specific I should check? Would really appreciate if you guys helped me out, The challenger is my dream car and something I'd much very like to keep for my lifetime and don't want something I missed to ruin the experience.

(P.S, I would have registered a while back but didn't want to become that guy who talks about em all the time but never owned one)

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
when you look around.. look at the bottom plastic lower rocker panels below the doors.. at each corner front and back they are prone to crack.. if they are.. make them replace them. when you start it up. let it run for a bit. then crank the steering back and fourth.. if it wines.. talk to them about service.

one main thing on these cars is REAR END HOWL.. if you did a search on hear you would go nuts reading about it. it is very common and dodges answer is to hang weights on the axle housing to kill some of the harmonics.. i think that is a joke.. listen for it.. if it is REAL bad.. talk to them about it.

not sure if it is a auto or a clutch.. look at the fluid if iti is a auto just to make sure it don't look like sludge. typical stuff i guess.. i would try to find out the original owners name before i sign and drive.. a phone call to them may change your mind on the car if you find out some stuff about it you didn't want to know.

hope that helps
chris

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
All 08s were automatics. Take a strong flashlight and look over the interior, the interior is so dark you can't see detail unless it is sunny out or you use a flashlight.

Have them put it on a lift and look over the underside. There could be damage there that isn't obvious from outside. My 09 only had 200 miles and the belly pan was scraped up.

Check the brake pads, especially the rear. The 08s have an open differential and the brakes are used to simulate a LSD. This is not a problem as our Jeep is the same but if the owner was a hard driver, your brake pads might be worn - they are easy to replace but expensive to buy.

With 19K, the original tires are probably either worn out or have been replaced. Check it out. If the car has the 3 season Goodyear F1s, don't even think about driving in snow or ice. Factor a set of winter tires and wheels into your purchase decision.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
when you look around.. look at the bottom plastic lower rocker panels below the doors.. at each corner front and back they are prone to crack.. if they are.. make them replace them. when you start it up. let it run for a bit. then crank the steering back and fourth.. if it wines.. talk to them about service.

one main thing on these cars is REAR END HOWL.. if you did a search on hear you would go nuts reading about it. it is very common and dodges answer is to hang weights on the axle housing to kill some of the harmonics.. i think that is a joke.. listen for it.. if it is REAL bad.. talk to them about it.

not sure if it is a auto or a clutch.. look at the fluid if iti is a auto just to make sure it don't look like sludge. typical stuff i guess.. i would try to find out the original owners name before i sign and drive.. a phone call to them may change your mind on the car if you find out some stuff about it you didn't want to know.

hope that helps
chris
I'll be sure to check fluids before I drop off the lot, Going for an oil change no matter what cause I don't know what's in it right now and I like my mobil. Going to check the rockers first thing when I get to the car, Thanks for that notice. My Grand prix has rust on rockers which pisses me off to no end.

I'll also check up on the steering.

All 08s were automatics. Take a strong flashlight and look over the interior, the interior is so dark you can't see detail unless it is sunny out or you use a flashlight.

Have them put it on a lift and look over the underside. There could be damage there that isn't obvious from outside. My 09 only had 200 miles and the belly pan was scraped up.

Check the brake pads, especially the rear. The 08s have an open differential and the brakes are used to simulate a LSD. This is not a problem as our Jeep is the same but if the owner was a hard driver, your brake pads might be worn - they are easy to replace but expensive to buy.

With 19K, the original tires are probably either worn out or have been replaced. Check it out. If the car has the 3 season Goodyear F1s, don't even think about driving in snow or ice. Factor a set of winter tires and wheels into your purchase decision.
I'll check the pads but the brakes felt great, I'm going to take it on one final test stretch run just to confirm that I don't hear anything that's out of place. The tread on the tires is fresh, The tires were changed before it was sold. All-season goodyears. I'll ask them to lift the car but I can easily look under them without lifting them considering I'm super thin and etc.

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
I've said this before and will say it again. Never buy a challenger used unless you know the complete history of it. These things have been modded to the hill then brought back to stock and traded in. Hate to bring you down but you know it's the truth..good luck;)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've said this before and will say it again. Never buy a challenger used unless you know the complete history of it. These things have been modded to the hill then brought back to stock and traded in. Hate to bring you down but you know it's the truth..good luck;)
The best I have is the carfax with service records, Looks clean to a point. I'll see what else I can dig out when I visit monday. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts

hope that helps
chris
Rear end howl NEVER existed on the 08 Challengers, as they used the older style 215mm AMG Mercedes differentials. 09+ use GETRAG. Anyway, check for cracked trims\blisters on the front bumper grill (plastic) it bubbled on my 08, and the window trim cracked as well, all replaced but yeah. And who MODS a car to hell then DEMODS it to stock to sell it? Come on, thats rare and very unlikely with a Challenger.

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
I bought mine based on pictures and conversation with the original owner....these cars are really good in the build quality overall...

Check the things mentioned and remember it is a 6 year old car...it will need to have the coolant, transmission fluid and rear diff fluid changed in the near future plus the oil change you mentioned.

Whenever I get a nused...new to me used for someone else, i expect to put new tires and brake pads at all 4 corners.

look for any signs of overspray and that the body panels line up pretty well...

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Make sure it has a dash plague on it that says "First Edition xxxx/6400", so you know it is a legitimate 2008 SRT-8. Silver is the rarest color of the 08s, which is good if you are into subtlety. That car is almost 6 years old now, so I would change all the fluids out, even if mileage is not that high. If it has the original Goodyear F1s on it, time for new ones. For those who say never buy a used Challenger, I disagree. 19K is only like 3K-4K a year depending when it was bought. If it is a one owner, I'm thinking you are safe since they sold for over sticker back in 2008. Thus, an old guy probably had it first and only drove it on nice days as indicated by the low mileage... Just make sure you look at it in daylight and take it for a nice long test drive. I think 24K is a very solid deal for the best Challenger on the market until the 392 debuted in 2011. You could always buy a no optioned new V6, but why? LOL Good luck.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Make sure it has a dash plague on it that says "First Edition xxxx/6400", so you know it is a legitimate 2008 SRT-8. Silver is the rarest color of the 08s, which is good if you are into subtlety. That car is almost 6 years old now, so I would change all the fluids out, even if mileage is not that high. If it has the original Goodyear F1s on it, time for new ones. For those who say never buy a used Challenger, I disagree. 19K is only like 3K-4K a year depending when it was bought. If it is a one owner, I'm thinking you are safe since they sold for over sticker back in 2008. Thus, an old guy probably had it first and only drove it on nice days as indicated by the low mileage... Just make sure you look at it in daylight and take it for a nice long test drive. I think 24K is a very solid deal for the best Challenger on the market until the 392 debuted in 2011. You could always buy a no optioned new V6, but why? LOL Good luck.
This is information i really wanted to see, I'll make sure to confirm all of this now.

Thanks for all the help guys, Not only are challengers cool to own. The people who own them are cool and helpful also!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
No problem, I am on my 3rd. First was a 2010 R/T Classic, then a 2010 SRT-8, now a 2013 R/T Classic. I will say I prefer the latter to my first two mostly because of the subtle interior upgrades, color combo (Plum Crazy on white stripes), and the massive suspension overhaul done to all 2011+ Challengers. Car feels lighter and more responsive than the others. I will say my SRT had slightly less body roll, better brakes, and more top end acceleration. The 6.1L at or above 5K RPM is a screamer of a V-8 this side of Nascar and can be modded easily. Around town, the 5.7L and 6.1L are not too different, but the 6.1L is noticeably more peaky. All my cars have been 6 speeds, so I really cannot comment on the auto much, though I've driven it in the 5.7, 6.1, and 6.4 (392). It is bullet proof, though outdated. However, the autos are quicker in a straight line than the 6 speeds. Also, not sure if you realize, but the auto SRTs, prior to 2011 and the MDS equipped 392s, have pretty terrible gas mileage - 13/19 on premium fuel. 6 speeds were 14/22. Not that you are buying the car for that, but I wanted to let you know in case you were unaware.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No problem, I am on my 3rd. First was a 2010 R/T Classic, then a 2010 SRT-8, now a 2013 R/T Classic. I will say I prefer the latter to my first two mostly because of the subtle interior upgrades, color combo (Plum Crazy on white stripes), and the massive suspension overhaul done to all 2011+ Challengers. Car feels lighter and more responsive than the others. I will say my SRT had slightly less body roll, better brakes, and more top end acceleration. The 6.1L at or above 5K RPM is a screamer of a V-8 this side of Nascar and can be modded easily. Around town, the 5.7L and 6.1L are not too different, but the 6.1L is noticeably more peaky. All my cars have been 6 speeds, so I really cannot comment on the auto much, though I've driven it in the 5.7, 6.1, and 6.4 (392). It is bullet proof, though outdated. However, the autos are quicker in a straight line than the 6 speeds. Also, not sure if you realize, but the auto SRTs, prior to 2011 and the MDS equipped 392s, have pretty terrible gas mileage - 13/19 on premium fuel. 6 speeds were 14/22. Not that you are buying the car for that, but I wanted to let you know in case you were unaware.
I'm prepared to watch my fuel gauge drop while i sit at a red light, It's something that comes with owning one.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
This will be my first winter in a Challenger having stored the prior ones. Get a good set of all seasons or better yet, snow tires. As mentioned, DO NOT drive on F1s below 40 degrees. They lose traction. Mine snow tires are mounted to Cragar SS wheels, which look very similar to the R/T Classic chrome wheels that came on it. Plus, these wheels look great on SRTs and actually fit because they clear the massive Brembos unlike a lot of wheels. PLus, it gives the car a more retro look. See, I provided you with your first modification already.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
This will be my first winter in a Challenger having stored the prior ones. Get a good set of all seasons or better yet, snow tires. As mentioned, DO NOT drive on F1s below 40 degrees. They lose traction. Mine snow tires are mounted to Cragar SS wheels, which look very similar to the R/T Classic chrome wheels that came on it. Plus, these wheels look great on SRTs and actually fit because they clear the massive Brembos unlike a lot of wheels. PLus, it gives the car a more retro look. See, I provided you with your first modification already.
Yeah, I know the SRT has new tires but I wouldn't be surprised if they are F1's again. I'll double check otherwise a set of new tires is on my list with oil and brakes.

Stealth, You're a good guy. Thanks for going the extra (quarter)mile with the advice.

·
Registered
216 Posts
As a backup plan, if something looks off about the SRT....you can pick up a brand new 13' r/t for not much more. Just putting that out there.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As a backup plan, if something looks off about the SRT....you can pick up a brand new 13' r/t for not much more. Just putting that out there.
but muh 6.1, Nah considering I was originally settling for a R/T Classic in my life I'll consider this, thanks neptune.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Somewhat true, but not every Challenger owner are like us on this forum.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Good luck--with the advice above, I'm sure you'll get a good deal or know to walk away.

There's something great about buying a car at Thanksgiving. Since moving to the US 24 years ago, I think 75% of my deals have happened at this time of year. The last being last year, taking delivery of my wife's 1990 Mustang 5.0 LX Vert the day before the turkey went in the oven, and driving over to Houston on the Saturday to swap my 392 for an 08 SRT10 Coupe. I have a LOT to be thankful for. All the best!

·
Registered
81 Posts
best advice is to just go over the car in daylight, there are no real issues with these cars. great build quality and a blast to drive. a car with that mileage is very safe was not driven much most likely bought as a investment or toy. as mentioned before it was probably bought by a older gent due to prices of the first production yr cars.BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!! ENJOY THE RIDE MY FRIEND!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
Rear end howl NEVER existed on the 08 Challengers, as they used the older style 215mm AMG Mercedes differentials. 09+ use GETRAG. Anyway, check for cracked trims\blisters on the front bumper grill (plastic) it bubbled on my 08, and the window trim cracked as well, all replaced but yeah. And who MODS a car to hell then DEMODS it to stock to sell it? Come on, thats rare and very unlikely with a Challenger.
So do you think all the super chargers you see selling used on here are from mustangs?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts