Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm planning to buy a used 2011-2013 392 SRT at the end of the year, if my plans for generating some extra money work out.

I liked the looks of this one, but I feel it is GROSSLY overpriced:

Cars for Sale: 2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8 in Hurricane, WV 25526: Coupe Details - 363239883 - AutoTrader.com

I'd be looking for a 392 in green, yellow, or header orange, automatic transmission, and no sunroof.

I looked up some depreciation calculators online, and they say a $45,000 car 3 years old should be worth $24K to $26K.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
I'm planning to buy a used 2011-2013 392 SRT at the end of the year, if my plans for generating some extra money work out.

Cars for Sale: 2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8 in Hurricane, WV 25526: Coupe Details - 363239883 - AutoTrader.com

I'd be looking for a 392 in green, yellow, or header orange, automatic transmission, and no sunroof.

I looked up some depreciation calculators online, and they say a $45,000 car 3 years old should be worth $24K to $26K.
I assure you that's incorrect. 2011 SRT8 vehicles are currently $36K+... 2008 models are currently $28K+.

·
Registered
537 Posts
There is no standard depreciation rate I think it depends on supply and demand. Seems like the Challengers hold their value well. I'm also interested in purchasing a lightly used 392 in the next year or so. I am curious what the 2015 and eventual Hellcat will do to values. I was considering a GT500 at one point and 2012 and earlier models dropped pretty far pretty fast after the 2013 came out with the big horsepower bump.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I was sort of in the same boat as the OP. I had a hard time finding a Yellow SRT without a sunroof, so when I did, I probably paid a little more than i should have...anyway, you're not finding a 392 in the $24-26k range for a while...find one you like and can afford, then get it!! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
721 Posts
Also note that 392s do not get barely any factory rebates like RTs and SXTs do. This helps keep their value high as a result.

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,019 Posts
If it helps I bought a 2012 with 11,000 miles for roughly $37,000 at
The end of January. I sold a 2010 with 36000 miles for for for
A tad over 30000 at the end of oct last year. You are not going to
Find a SRT in that price range unless it has issues, high milage
Or if you go to a wholesale auction IMO

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
You are coming to the same realization that I did, it's almost cheaper to buy a new one with the best discount you can find and let your car hold its value than it is to buy a used one :) Plus, you can typically get cheaper financing on a new car too.

·
Registered
226 Posts

For the price listed in the ad you could purchase a new 14- SRT Core, I wouldn't offer any more than 34k on that car. Shop around and be patient you should be able to find an 11/12 model in the 34-35k price range. Also remember the advertised price is simply the asking price. Something that has worked well for me in the past is make an offer, when the dealer refuses it simply say " I understand but please keep my offer on your desk in case the scenario changes" almost always within a week or two you will receive a telephone call or an e-mail.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
2,014 Posts
I just traded in a 09 SRT with 13k on it for $28,500.00 I bought a 2012 Yellow Jacket with only 1700 miles on it for $38,000.00. The Challengers hold their value really well in my opinion, I have owned 4 of them now, and I didn't lose my shirt on any of them.

Reactions: wasp392 and EricG

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I just traded in a 09 SRT with 13k on it for $28,500.00 I bought a 2012 Yellow Jacket with only 1700 miles on it for $38,000.00. The Challengers hold their value really well in my opinion, I have owned 4 of them now, and I didn't lose my shirt on any of them.
Similar situation here. I was fortunate enough to find a buyer (a neighbor,) who quite willingly paid $30K for my 2012 Challenger R/T that was not only "loaded" with options, but only had 2900 miles on it.

Having accomplished that, I set out to buy a '12 Yellow Jacket as well, and found a "new" (previously unregistered one, with every option imaginable) with 122 miles for $41.5K. That figure is $2-3K above the "going rate" for low-mileage, heavily optioned YJ's -but- as it was sold as a new car, I saved 1.5-2.0 points on financing + I have all of the 3-year/36,000-mile warranty.

Regards,

Gary aka "beamg5"

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
08-09'S Are going for 26-30K....Sticker on my 08 was 42K = less than 45% depreciation over 6 years.

These cars are holding their value well.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts

Walk in with a check for $34,500 and tell them you want the car but this is all the money you have. I freakin' guarantee you you will leave with that car. Don't take any BS, make the offer and if they say no (in any form or fashion) walk out the door and by the time you get to your car the salesman will be on your heels.

Used car salesmen are snakes. Show them no mercy... it's the end of the month, the stars are aligned perfectly. :bigthumb:

I LOVE BUYING USED CARS!

·
Registered
305 Posts
picked up my 2012 srt 8 for $31,500 with 2800 miles,really lucked out the seller was moving to germany and the car was bought for her,her asking price was originally 39k,she got desperate

·
Registered
537 Posts
picked up my 2012 srt 8 for $31,500 with 2800 miles,really lucked out the seller was moving to germany and the car was bought for her,her asking price was originally 39k,she got desperate
Wow that's a smoking deal. Hope I can find something that good when the time comes.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Wow that's a smoking deal. Hope I can find something that good when the time comes.
yea i was really fortunate to find it..i was actually goin down to tucson az from phx to buy a chrysler 300 srt8 i was looking at and the dealer jacked up the $ at the last minute...so on my way home stopped to get something to eat and it pulled up in the parking lot of restaurant with a for sale sign on it...so i talked to her and made an offer of 35k...she said maybe and she would think about it...so 3 wks went by and no call...finally i got a call and she said what would i give her for it now and i told her 31.5k cash she said come get it,so i did...was really happy with the outcome and couldnt be happier with a paid in full srt8 challenger!

·
Registered
279 Posts
I paid 44,700 for my 2012 in July 2013. I was able to take advantage of a special promotion they were doing with a finance company (2k rebate iirc).

For close to true values, check out Edmunds and plugin the options/mileage on the car. Dealers use a KBB "black book" that has a subscription fee.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I paid 44,700 for my 2012 in July 2013. I was able to take advantage of a special promotion they were doing with a finance company (2k rebate iirc).

For close to true values, check out Edmunds and plugin the options/mileage on the car. Dealers use a KBB "black book" that has a subscription fee.
+1 on edmunds:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts