Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone watch last night's Desert Car Kings show on the Discovery channel? They totally restored the following four muscle cars from their classic car junkyard and sold them at auction:

1964 Barracuda (273)- $7,100
1969 Pontiac GTO (400)- $21,000
1966 Chevelle SS (454)- convertible- $21,000
1968 Dodge Charger (383)

Desert Car Kings : Discovery Channel

http://www.dvap.com/

An interesting show, but it makes you wonder about the quality of these cars- a complete resto in 3 weeks? :scratchhead:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
...An interesting show, but it makes you wonder about the quality of these cars- a complete resto in 3 weeks? :scratchhead:
I didn't watch last night but I've seen them in the past doing a "restoration" in a few weeks and wondered the same thing. Those prices seem pretty low for the car if it was any kind of a restoration other than a minimal 'make it look good and get it out the door' kind of job.

After reading your post I went to the website for show and stumbled upon some quiz's for various types of cars (muscle cars, mustangs, hot rods). I did two or three of them and missed a few answers I would have sworn I was right on. Then I took the "mustang" quiz. As a former Mustang owner and enthusiast (1970) I took the test.

Seems Discovery doesn't know a hell of a lot about cars. The first Mustangs were offered with a V6 or 2 V8 options (Codes U, F, D) but Discovery didn't think so. Has to make you wonder about the credibility of its shows.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
i watch that show...i like any/all restoration shows

both owners and about 1/2 the cast seems like they smoked too much pot when their were young...they are all a bit slow acting

i liked seeing a 383 charger get a 1/4 mile time of 19 seconds @ like 70 mph....

i considered a 383 super bee at one time...glad i chose a 392...i didnt realize they could be anywhere near that slow...the show said 16 seconds is where it should be..

i notice they all hang over the freshly painted cars w/o anything on the fenders to protect them...and they put any old engine in the cars..the mechanics always look horrible......they never put factory rims on the cars and didnt use a factory Green on the Charger

its a 1/2 assed redo....you can see plenty of flaws on the TV..im sure it looks way worse in real life...

i dont know why they didnt put a 396 in the 66 Chevelle ss396 convertible...that was probably a 40-60,000 car, but it sold for $22,000ish because everything was 1/2 assed....where were the 1966 chevy rims?..they did the color correct, but skipped on the rims and put a 454 in it....if they werent doing the engine/rims right why bother with the correct hood or paint color?....i would have sold it on ebay instead.....wow they made $4k profit...they could have made $25,000 profit

i like the show, but its more like a hillbilly restoration show

·
Super Moderator
13,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i
i liked seeing a 383 charger get a 1/4 mile time of 19 seconds @ like 70 mph....they never put factory rims on the cars and didnt use a factory Green on the Charger
They claimed that they used sublime but that was not the case.

The 383 must have been in a bad state of tune. The Charger should have turned high 14s to low 15s.

·
Super Moderator
15,570 Posts
i like the show, but its more like a hillbilly restoration show
Plus a lot of those cars would have "salvage" titles, especially the ones that were picked out of the yard.

I don't know how Arizona handles this, but a former salvage title assures that you aren't getting top $$, especially for a cosmetic restoration like they're doing.

A few of those where they show the frame, suspension or areas underhood really look 1/2 way done. It also appears that they'll yank an engine out of the yard, do some top-end work and call it done.

If a seller was going for top $$ in price, the end result needs to look like it, not some crusty undercarriage with new paint on top.
A few of those where they show the frame, suspension or areas underhood really look 1/2 way done.

Some states its possible to wipe the title history clean and future buyers may not know what they're getting into.

Hurricane Katrina flood damaged cars went out of Louisiana and ended up in other states where the title's were "washed" of their past history of being written off as salvage vehicles.

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Did anyone watch last night's Desert Car Kings show on the Discovery channel? They totally restored the following four muscle cars from their classic car junkyard and sold them at auction:

1964 Barracuda (273)- $7,100
1969 Pontiac GTO (400)- $21,000
1966 Chevelle SS (454)- convertible- $21,000
1968 Dodge Charger (383)

Desert Car Kings : Discovery Channel

Home » DVAP

An interesting show, but it makes you wonder about the quality of these cars- a complete resto in 3 weeks? :scratchhead:
Totally is a stretch LMAO but I know what you meant.
Yes I did watch this on Sunday, I kinda like the show but would never ever want to own one of there cars. Unless I was going to take it appart and redo.
Did you see them heat the frame and "fix" it. That was a horrible job IMO.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
I'd like to see them take the crew from "Swamp people" & "Ax men", put them in a 90' x 40' metal shop run by Paul Teutul Sr., and assign the crew restoration projects on expensive bikes and cars belonging to doctors and lawyers. No air-conditioners in this building. Only a couple of mobile swamp coolers. For added effect lets toss in a former San Quentin released murderer as the shop gopher.

Oh yea. One more thing... no fancy computer assisted lathes or cutters either. Just the same stuff you and me work with.

I can see Teutul Sr. looking over his back repeadedly with this gang of thugs. Dem steroid laced gym muscles ain't gonna impress them boys one bit!

·
Super Moderator
15,570 Posts
And of course after applying a torch to bend it back (and cook off any paint or surface protection) they didn't apply any coating to protect the bare metal.

The perfect way to assure it will rust with no protection...

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
And of course after applying a torch to bend it back (and cook off any paint or surface protection) they didn't apply any coating to protect the bare metal.

The perfect way to assure it will rust with no protection...
Exactly that's what really turned me off. The other things I can see. The engine is visable and there not saying it is a monster or anything so....
But the frame deal really made me think they where not be upfront on things.
Nice body on the car it looked like.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Registration is gonna kill ya. Salvaged pieces, then you might have to have it thoroughly inspected. "What year is that motor?" "You know that year requires a smog check"..........$$$

NO THANKS for the added $$$&time inconvience.

"Hey nice SS396, WHAT!, it has a 454???"

·
Registered
427 Posts
Totally is a stretch LMAO but I know what you meant.
Yes I did watch this on Sunday, I kinda like the show but would never ever want to own one of there cars. Unless I was going to take it appart and redo.
I watched a couple of their shows this week including the frame "fix". They sure can polish a turd but I wouldn't buy any car they "restored"
Caveat emptor or buyer beware.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I was kind of surprised that the Charger didn't do better than 19 secs in the 1/4. Heck, my SE did 15.9 @ 91 MPH and I suck at launches. That Charger was probably a great car for the kid whose father bought it for him. Looks cool, but isn't too nice when he wrecks it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The Very First Mustangs were offered with the 170 ci, 260 ci and 2 289's. The 170 ci was a straight 6, V6's didn't come along until the 70's.

·
Registered
977 Posts
They are a bunch of hacks...

Did you see them start an engine sitting on the ground with nothing holding but a chain hoist.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I've watched a few of the episodes including the Charger one. I think this show is just like "Pimp My Ride". They make the car look good without changing/repairing the mechanicals...lipstick on a pig. There is no way that 383 was running right.

I know this is a Challenger but, back in the day (like today) the weighed nearly the same as the Charger and I believe the 383 was slightly detuned in '71

·
Super Moderator
15,570 Posts
I'd wager they got a random 383 out of the yard and assembled together a bunch of parts and got it running - but it wasn't tuned (dist advance curves, proper carb jetting, setting the timing right) and who knows what stall speed torque converter was behind that engine, plus the rear end gearing.

It could have been a truck verison 383, not the HP version like the Roadrunner or Super Bee got that had the 440 cam and the torque converter and carb settings that made the RR version work well.

A 3,600# Charger, 383 of unknown setup + automatic probably wasn't going to be the fastest down the track. Plus whatever gearing was in the rear end. Those cars stock (when new) probably were good for mid 15's, but that example clearly wasn't at its peak with a trap speed of 75mph.

A fully smogged stock '78 440 police Monaco or Fury would do better than that Charger from DCK was.

·
Registered
339 Posts
These shows kill me, they slap these cars together like a bunch of back yard teen aged mechanics and then use the term "restored." This shows the normally car ignorant TV watching public that a restored car is nothing but a shiny paint job and maybe a new set of brake shoes! Now you or I take our totally frame off, restored car out to a show and explain how it took us 6 years and a hundred grand to do it right and the public scratches their heads....Why can the TV guys do it in a week and it looks just the same?

A restoration means the car was completely disassembled and put back as close to the way it came off the line as is possible, rubber suspension pieces, date coded driveline, even the factory correct exhaust clamps! Spraying the firewall with Krylon does not duplicate the way they did it when they first built the car. It may be a repainted rust free old car, but restored...it aint!

"Hey Ethel, come look at the TV! I'm sure that Duesenberg model J on Barrett Jackson musta cost $500 to restore and now it's selling for over a million!" "We should fetch the old Fairmont from behind the trailer and restore it....we'll get rich!"

The worst show IMHO is Car Warriors.....I watched the first over hyped episode and can't even watch another, my stomach turns.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts