Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I bought a knock off mopar front strut bar and painted it white with some PW7 and clear in a rattle can. Problem was I could not find a cover that I liked so I made my own.

Without cover...yuck!

With 3D printed (ABS 3mm thick all around and printed at 0.35mm resolution which takes ~4 hours). It mounts on the strut hex portion of the thread for a nice snug fit and uses a slotted hole design so you can wiggle the cover to fit nicely. Still need to sand, primer and paint.

I will post up the cad on thingiverse shortly for those that want to print it themselves. The link will be posted in this thread in the next day or so. I could have shrunk down the size a little making the top portion angle down more but this is my 5th iteration and I really dig the look. Anyways I figure I would "strut" my stuff.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,708 Posts
Very cool. I think it looks decent raw, not painted. Have you tried smoothing ABS with acetone fumes?
Thingiverse is such a great site, that is nice of you to post it up. A neat tip is to design in something hidden in the layers of infill with a logo, or initials. Then if someone steals/sells YOUR design, and they forgot to remove that, you can at least harass them about it.

Reactions: FreddyG

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Very cool. I think it looks decent raw, not painted. Have you tried smoothing ABS with acetone fumes?
Thingiverse is such a great site, that is nice of you to post it up. A neat tip is to design in something hidden in the layers of infill with a logo, or initials. Then if someone steals/sells YOUR design, and they forgot to remove that, you can at least harass them about it.
Was thinking about acetone smoothing with the other side which I used white ABS on. Although if I would have left the bar grey like it came originally this filament would have matched pretty well. As for design theft, I have already been notified a while back that someone literally a couple of towns over was printing and selling ($20 a piece) my overhead gauge pod design (took me 15 minutes to mock up but I never really used it) on ebay. I contacted the copy cat and basically told him to be original and at least change a fillet or something. Kind of reminded me of Apple suing Samsung for radius-ing the phone housings back in the day. Although if I were Samsung I would have argued.."we don't use radii, we use half diameters in our designs." 🤓 The designing part is real easy for me and to be honest I have filched a few designs from GrabCad for my own use out of sheer laziness. So if someone wants to mass produce this design best of luck to them.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Was thinking about acetone smoothing with the other side which I used white ABS on. Although if I would have left the bar grey like it came originally this filament would have matched pretty well. As for design theft, I have already been notified a while back that someone literally a couple of towns over was printing and selling ($20 a piece) my overhead gauge pod design (took me 15 minutes to mock up but I never really used it) on ebay. I contacted the copy cat and basically told him to be original and at least change a fillet or something. Kind of reminded me of Apple suing Samsung for radius-ing the phone housings back in the day. Although if I were Samsung I would have argued.."we don't use radii, we use half diameters in our designs." 🤓 The designing part is real easy for me and to be honest I have filched a few designs from GrabCad for my own use out of sheer laziness. So if someone wants to mass produce this design best of luck to them.
Nice, I like that "half diameters" line. Nothing wrong with using other designs, just when people start selling them without any credit. Even if it is just a line with "based on" or "inspired by", something. I designed a mount for a little pistol I have (Ruger SR22) and I started with something from thingiverse, but by the time I was done, I would have been about the same starting from scratch. But the learning curve was severely shortened by starting with another design.
A co-worker friend printed it out for me, took 3 tries to catch things I missed or thought would have clearance, but didn't. I never did use it, but it came out cool.

Now if I could convince my wife that we actually "need" a 3D Printer.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Now if I could convince my wife that we actually "need" a 3D Printer.
I have had my Prusa printer since 2012 and use it quite a bit, it truly is a workhorse. In fact, my wife recently had a request to print some sleeves for a utensil holder which as a result I now have a bigger honey-do list. Since then I have built my own cartesian and delta printers only to give them to friends and family as gifts when I am done. Was going to build a corexy but you can get kits for so cheap that it's not worth piecing together your own. However, the problem is the cheap kits should not be your first printer...nothing more frustrating than getting a printer that does not work right. I recently helped 2 friends get their ~$150 kits working and it was a lot of printing new support structures, alignment, leveling and tweaking of the firmware. The Prusa mini is something like $350 and it truly is a well supported, open source printer that I suggest to my friends as a DIY 1st printer.

The printers are really handy if you have the design chops to make your own stuff (or not as there is plenty of stuff on grabcad, yeggi, thingiverse, stl finder). Here is another example where the printer came in handy when I was mounting a Eufy doorbell cam (no subscription like the ring) on the patio which had to mount to siding. Hardest part was getting the dimensions of my siding.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those are cool. I bet you could sell a few if you wanted to.
If anything I would just ask for a spool of ABS filament (~$12-$20) and shipping cost if a member really wanted a set. But heck you can print things at most local libraries or even local workshops (usually requires membership).

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,596 Posts
You Guys are my Heroes (Hendrik too)! I've got the printer, now I just need to learn Fusion 360 or Tinkercad or something like that to learn how to draw what's in my head.

It's a Big learning curve for me, but I Welcome the challenge!

What programs do you Guys use to draw out your ideas?

Thanks in advance for the information! (y)

By the way ChallyTatum, the covers and the doorbell shroud both look like something that you bought in a store (Very Professional looking)! You did a Great job!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You Guys are my Heroes (Hendrik too)! I've got the printer, now I just need to learn Fusion 360 or Tinkercad or something like that to learn how to draw what's in my head.

It's a Big learning curve for me, but I Welcome the challenge!

What programs do you Guys use to draw out your ideas?

Thanks in advance for the information! (y)

By the way ChallyTatum, the covers and the doorbell shroud both look like something that you bought in a store (Very Professional looking)! You did a Great job!
I jump between AutoCad and Solidworks as those are the programs I use at work. I also have used a free version of fusion 360 and freeCAD which is not very intuitive but works in a pinch. For simple geometries I use that add shape feature in prusa slicer. Although recently I have played with meshmixer and blender to modify 3D scans (I build a small scanner as well but it fails more than it works).

And thanks for the compliment!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Here are some dimensions (in millimeters) of my knock-off strut bar mounting plate for you official Mopar strut bar guys to compare.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,596 Posts
I jump between AutoCad and Solidworks as those are the programs I use at work. I also have used a free version of fusion 360 and freeCAD which is not very intuitive but works in a pinch. For simple geometries I use that add shape feature in prusa slicer. Although recently I have played with meshmixer and blender to modify 3D scans (I build a small scanner as well but it fails more than it works).

And thanks for the compliment!
Thank You for the info and You're Welcome for the Compliment! (y)

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Just printed a pair in kind of a ghost white ABS, hides the printed lines better. To improve fitment I have some adhesive backed foam rubber that I am going to apply on the inside. I still want to paint match them bet dang that white is good from far...even though it is far from good. Also want to try acetone smoothing before I paint. From the looks of it one 1kg spool can print about 2 sets (4 total) maybe 5. --> nope I am way off, according to the slicer the design uses ~81g of filament which works out to almost 6 sets (12 total)...that is like $1.50 of filament material. Never really looked at the logistic output from the slicer but I guess one could make good money selling these. As for me, I usually just move on to the next project.

This is what the other side looks like. I purposely print the slot too long (i.e. it protrudes farther from the surface then needed) and then trim with a dremel to fit as both sides not exact. I had other more complicated designs but the problem was the studs were too far off for good alignment. This slotted design that relies on the center strut hex portion greatly simplifies things. The fit is pretty snug and needs a little man handling to get on and off. The foam tape is just to secure the sides as there is a little play so the cover can rotate a little so the tape should keep it centered. Anyways I am about to post up the files on thingiverse.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is the link to the files on thingiverse.

For those looking for a printer that works really well (i.e. has bed leveling, a removable spring steel build plate, excellent firmware that is routinely updated, 24/7 customer service and a slicer program that is free and kicks dupah) then this be it. The price went up to $399 and there is a fairly long wait for it to ship but it is worth it. I have a prusa MK2.5s and absolutely love it. None of my homebrew printer builds (except for my delta which uses a Duet wifi controller...love that board) come close to the easy of setting up and print that the prusa has.

I have had friends buy cheap printers ($150 direct from China) and trust me, you do not want them as your first printer. In fact, over Xmas I spent a solid day fixing/troubleshoot a friend of a friend's printer that he got from his dad. They spent days trying to get it work right before they reached out to me to help. IMO your first printer should work right out of the box with no frustration.

On a side note, I did by a Tronxy printer off amazon for <$300 but I already have a collection of parts to customize it the way I want which will be used for big builds using ABS. Anyways I think I rambled enougn.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Would love to have a 3d Printer and a Scanner
Honestly I almost never use my homemade scanner...besides it really is only a tool if you want to make a duplicate of something. In the end I either design myself, modify a design from someone else on grabcad (usually a soldiworks file or STEP format which means much easier to tweak), or I modify a cad file from Mcmaster (usually a knob/pulley/hinge/bracket).

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Also for playing around, the "3D builder" app included for free with Windows (maybe in the Store) gets you an idea of the 3D modelling without a huge learning curve.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts