Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, sorry, I've made a post about this in the past but have never really gotten anywhere on it. I have one of the vintage 2009 models (LOL) and the part of the fascia that clips in under the grill, well, it just doesn't clip in anymore. They look like they are "triangle" shaped pieces that would hook in. Some of them look broken, some do not, but either way, none of them stay in at all and I am stuck with the mess in the picture you see below. I have tried using double sided tape, didn't work, that's what you see on some of them. The way I see it now, I can only think of 2 options other than replacing everything, which I do not want to do. 1, us JB Weld or something to fashion some sort of factory correct "triangle" piece so they they will snap in again. The only problem is that I don't really know what the original piece is supposed to look like. I also don't know if maybe the inside "hook" part is also broken at this point. 2, I was thinking of drilling holes that would go though everything, including the 2 triangles in the middle, and then do some sort of pop rivet there or something. But I don't actually know what's underneath that or if I could even drill through everything. It would look a little tacky possible, but I think if I at least get the 2 center triangles attached somehow, it would look better than it does.

Does anyone have ANY other ideas or feedback on my two ideas? There's really nothing else wrong with the fascia. I really don't want to take the whole thing apart and pay to have a new one painted etc etc. I also am afraid of what else will break when I take it off LOL. Thanks again, hope everyone is having a good holiday

20200704_170230.jpg

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
First thing you need to do is pull the bumper assembly off and get everything pushed back together.

With the bumper off you will have backside options for making it stay together without being seen from the outside.

Those bumper tabs just snap into the grill surround.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First thing you need to do is pull the bumper assembly off and get everything pushed back together.

With the bumper off you will have backside options for making it stay together without being seen from the outside.

Those bumper tabs just snap into the grill surround.
Hmm, thanks, but Im not sure I know what you mean. I can see where they should snap back in, but they don't. I can push it back to where it should technically go, but none of them stay, unless I am just not understanding what you are saying. I guess I don't know what you mean by backside options.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
565 Posts
What @OregonScat is saying is that once you pull the bumper cover off ... then you'll be able to put the parts together from the backside. You'll be able to see that the tabs will either snap back in place or if they'll need to be glued/bonded to the bumper cover.

There are plenty of YouTube videos showing how to remove the front bumper cover. It's a tad tedious, but really not that difficult.

If you don't want to go the glue/bond route, just buy a new grill surround. Parts Geek has them for about $65 2009 Challenger Grill Surround

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I got 95% of the way with removing the bumper. But there's this 10mm nut in the middle of the fender that is basically impossible to get to, at least for me. Maybe I just don't have the right tools or maybe it was because its 95 degrees here. But in the end, I don't even think I had to take it off at all, I was able to reach behind the grill and feel where the clips are supposed to go. None of them are catching at all. I might try to just epoxy them in place, and if that doesn't work, I will just be a hillbilly and pop rivet the damn thing in place. I do live in Kentucky after all.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
565 Posts
Well, I got 95% of the way with removing the bumper. But there's this 10mm nut in the middle of the fender that is basically impossible to get to, at least for me. Maybe I just don't have the right tools or maybe it was because its 95 degrees here. But in the end, I don't even think I had to take it off at all, I was able to reach behind the grill and feel where the clips are supposed to go. None of them are catching at all. I might try to just epoxy them in place, and if that doesn't work, I will just be a hillbilly and pop rivet the damn thing in place. I do live in Kentucky after all.

This guy posted a YouTube "video" (in quotes because it's really just pictures and text) that shows how to get to everything. He makes a great point about disconnecting the battery since you're going to be messing with the airbag sensors.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I have had a bunch of Challenger bumper covers off and there is a hard way and an easy way.

The easy way is pulling the front wheels and dropping the fender liners.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This guy posted a YouTube "video" (in quotes because it's really just pictures and text) that shows how to get to everything. He makes a great point about disconnecting the battery since you're going to be messing with the airbag sensors.
Yeah, I did see that video, and it was the most helpful (Most videos don't even mention this bolt). I didn't have every single extension he was using, and i couldn't get to it with a wrench either

I have had a bunch of Challenger bumper covers off and there is a hard way and an easy way.

The easy way is pulling the front wheels and dropping the fender liners.
I believe it. Unfortunately, I don't have a garage, or a driveway, and my car is lowered so it's a pain to even jack it up with the jack that I have. So basically I am out doing this in the gutter LOL, which is not fun. But thats good to know if i ever decide to try to take it off again. Like I said, i could reach behind and feel where it was supposed to clip in, it just isn't clipping in. Oh well. Thanks

·
Registered
687 Posts
Have the exact same issue with my 2014...but my clips are different...I was wondering what a body shop would charge to fix it???..

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
498 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
If it was me and i was trying to patch it instead of replacing it or your on a budget, use silicone at the clips and tape til the silicone dries. It will flex and will hold it together once dry. Buy it for a caulk gun in black. Run a bead where the clips are then use body tape to hold til dry. Then remove the tape after 24hrs. Will stay til you cut it loose. will allow flexing for weather changes and bumps

1 - 11 of 11 Posts