Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Callenger SRT 8 - 392
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
challenger 392 - 2014 - auto.

If I destroy the inside of my catalyst,
1) Will I have a more load or clear sound?
2) Will I have a check engine?
3) Will I have popcorn sound?

Thank You !
Michel

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,319 Posts
It will be louder and you will get at a minimum DTCs saying catalytic convert efficiency low. You might get a little backfire but I think the mid mufflers will tone it down. I find if I delete the mid mufflers I get more decel rumble.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,319 Posts
And you will get as much exhaust smell as driving a 72 challenger.
Amen! Recently installed headers and offroad pipes on my friend's 2010 mustang GT...sounds bada$$ but your clothes stink like you just spent the day behind a riding lawnmower.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
7,823 Posts
Your cats are high flow compared to others, the firing of the spark plug during the exhaust stroke allows them to run a more open "honeycomb". I suppose if you busted them up with a "spud bar" you might get more flow and sound, with the ITune can you shut off the 2nd set of O2 sensors?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,319 Posts
But with the Itune, can I deleted the codes ?
It can be done with intune but you would need a tuner with CMR software to do it for you. If you want to do it yourself you need HP tuners interface and software to disable the rear O2 sensors and DTCs. Even then you will not pass emissions as the O2 and cat monitors will not complete. Most states allow 1 incomplete monitor but not 2.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I really hate to come at it from this perspective. And I really dont want to be the polly anna wet blanket. I will just share my experience for what's it's worth.

There are significant Federal fines for tampering with emissions equipment. $4527 per tampering event. $45,268 per vehicle and $45,268 per day for record keeping and reporting (mod date, purchased from, offroad use dates and event etc etc etc) . Plus court fees and attorney fees. Follow this link and you can read it straight from the source along with hundreds of case resolutions forming the precedent. https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/clean-air-act-vehicle-and-engine-enforcement-case-resolutions

That said ........a public forum is probably not the ideal place to seek such advice. I have used "offroad H pipes" and a range of other off road only devices and equipment. Dont accidentally get pulled over driving on the highway with "off road only" equipment or tampered emissions gear which includes exhaust. Speaking ONLY for myself, I will never again risk a felony and and incur big coin expenses for a couple hp or that particular sound.

Yes you can empty out a Cat for a vehicle never driven on the street and everything previous posters stated is correct. I would imagine its done often in the Pure Stock Drags series where they have to use factory style exhaust. It may make your new car smell like an old car and it can be tinny sounding.

Be smart, keep records, take care, best of luck.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,699 Posts
The Demon does OK with cats, I'm fine with them. And so is my wallet. They are almost passive now the flow is so good.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
912 Posts
Why do you want to do this?

Cat-delete pipes are readily available.
Cat pipes cost like $550 each new while cat delete down pipes cost $300 to $400 for a pair. Having both gives one the option to install either when they want or need to. Not difficult to swap one for the other, a couple hours doing the swap on jack stands. I have swapped back and forth a couple of times this year.

As for turning off the rear sensors, it can be done with an itune but would need a CMR tuner to send you a tune file and most reputable tuners won't.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,319 Posts
Again, even if you get a tuner to turn off the rear O2s or turns of the DTCs there is no way you will pass emissions. In fact, you will most likely get a permanent code which can only be removed by the PCM once it sees certain conditions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts