Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around for some answers to this but I can't find anything clear. I have the matte black shaker scoop and spoiler on my challenger and with South Florida's brutal sun i never leave any part of the car without protection. The paint gets Meguiars Ultimate Wax, and the rims get Poorboy's wheel sealant. Headlights get PlastiX. I'm at a loss for the scoop and spoiler as they are matte black and I've never really dealt with this type of finish. On my other car's I use mother back to Black , but I don't want the area to be shiny. Additionally Back to Black seems to stay oily and doesn't really dry. I don't want any Back to Black on the rest of the car(painted surfaces). My question is, what do you guys use for Matte Black finish? Will regular polymer was do the trick to protect? What about the vinyl stripes? I've heard some people just leave the stripes alone and others say that coating with synthetic wax is ok.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I live in South Florida, I have matte black vinyl stripes on my Challenger, I was told to use Meguiar's Ultimate Quik detailer for the vinyl stripes. I've been using it for about 2 months and it looks fine to me. Not extra shiny. You should try it on a small portion and see how it works. I think it's only $6 a bottle. However, for the black trim near the bottom of the car, I use carPro Dlux.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
I Am in Southwest FL , I use 303,on the black under the door ,back end , hell I use on my Jeep also , and my detail spray wax ,, no problem on my hood strip

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
As many have said, Aerospace 303 is grear for flat black but Chadwick's Triple Play is too and it does everything else. It has changed my life

·
Registered
854 Posts
Leo, I too have a shaker and black spoiler to protect. Not Fla but plenty of beating sun in NC. I only use Adams products on my car and they have two items that are fantastic on both of these areas. First is Super VRT, great from trim to tires. Its a quick drying thick liquid you apply with a sponge and wipes off on any over applied areas easy. Great thing is it has some gloss but a light wiping will remove any shine but keeps it protected. The other product I really love that I use is their In & Out spray. Its a aerosol can that I now use all the time on my shaker, wiper arms, and under the hood. Its small height really is great when trying to get to those hard to reach spots on anything that needs protection to prevent fading.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys,

I'll look into 303 since i've never heard of it before. B5, i've heard great things about Adams so i'll definitely check it out too. Chuck, i have the quick detailer and it does do a great job at popping out the shine,not sure how well it protect though.

·
Registered
9,002 Posts
I use the "303" Protectant on all black parts, rubber parts, and the stripes.

For the stripes, I usually only apply once, maybe twice a year. After every wash though, I use the new "303" Speed Detailer on the whole car. It has "UV" protectant in it too.

I'm really liking the new line of "303" products.

Looks better than new :)

·
Registered
678 Posts
I like Zaino. They say that the Z2 car polish can be applied over matte black vinyl stripes. Not sure if there is a Zaino product for the spoiler and shaker though.

·
Super Moderator
14,408 Posts
I'll use 303 protectant (also have an SP Shaker) since the (paint finish) on the spoiler and shaker are a satin finish, I don't want to have it burnish to gloss nor wear it away with anything that might cause that to happen.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I like Zaino. They say that the Z2 car polish can be applied over matte black vinyl stripes. Not sure if there is a Zaino product for the spoiler and shaker though.
I had emailed Zaino, and good ol' Sal Zaino replied with this:

You can use Z-2, Z-5, Z-CS, Z-6 or Z-8

NOTE: For Flat Black or Matte Paint Systems.

Try a test spot and see if you like the look.
It will make it have a slight gloss to them.. It boils down to a
matter of personal preference.

On all my matte, Flat finishes, I especially like Z-CS immediately followed by Z-8.
Stays flat and gives awesome protection.

I also asked about the black plastic 'underframe' (sorry, the actual name escapes me at the moment) and this was his suggestion:

Zaino Show Car polish is to be used on any non-porous, non-textured
surfaces. If your plastic parts are non-porous (not textured) use Zaino Z-2, Z-3, Z-5
polish. Z-AIO, Z-CS & also Z-6 or Z-8 spray.
If you have porous surfaces(Cladding, front spoilers, grilles, rubber moulding
etc.) that need protection use Z-16 Tire Dressing & especially the new Z-CS. It's awesome on any textured, porous surfaces.

Note: Z-CS, Z-6 and Z-8 spray can also be safely used on porous and textured surfaces.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just got a bottle of Aerospace 303 in the mail. Walmart said they had it but couldn't find it when i passed by so i went with good old Amazon. Never heard of the stuff before today so i'll give it a shot, seems right since it has a boat on the cover lol. I don't like to use tire dressing on anything that's not tires or wheel wells(even then i hesitate), i don't want any of that on the painted surfaces when it rains.

·
Registered
66 Posts
While 303 may work well.. I would like to suggest something else that will offer additional layer of protection and will last a bit longer (up to 6 months) and has the same hydrophobic properties of some coatings.

I would recommend using a long term silica sealant such as Car Pro reload. This product can be used over the entire surface of the vehicle (in addition to the stripes) as a stand alone product, or to compliment a coating. Doing this 2 times a year for garage queens and 3 times for daily drivers will make maintenance washing of any kind much easier and faster.

Application method: Apply by spraying onto the towel and then spreading product evenly over one panel at a time. After even application, follow immediately with another towel to remove excess and to even it out.

I prefer using one product for the entire exterior to make is completely uniform and super easy to maintain. I have been using this product for a few years now and have not picked up a bottle of spray wax or anything else to care for matte paint, vinyl, or the like since. :thumbsup:

Another quick tip ** Using reload on wheels makes them SUPER easy to clean/maintain. Note: the product will not last as long on wheels due to the constant bombardment of super fine ferrous iron break dust, but applying it 4 times a year saves TONS of time and energy (its a super fast process once wheels are completely clean) and helps to minimize wheel scratching from cleaning since a solid pressurized stream of water will take most of the grime off. :eusa_dance:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
14 Participants
the11thday
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing