Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wash my Challenger every week and wax it about every 2 months, however, I park in a dusty garage (apartment) and in just 1-2 days from sitting there it gets lightly dusty...people say "detailing spray" is safe to use to remove this light dust, is this true? I'm slightly worried about scratching the paint...

"Quick detailers, which are often called waterless washes, are commonly used by detailers and car enthusiasts to put the finishing touch on a freshly detailed vehicle. Quick Detail Spray products quickly and easily remove water spots, streaks, dust and other light contamination. The special formulations evaporate quickly to prevent further spotting, lubricate to prevent scratching and contain gloss enhancers to refresh your just waxed shine. Today, every major car care brand has a quick detailer or waterless wash type product in their line-up. For the car enthusiast, a quick detailer is more than just a convenience; it is a necessity and part of their car care routine."

I'd love to know if it's ok because I'd love to use a quick detailer to go over my car every 2 days or so...

·
Registered
347 Posts
I wash my Challenger every week and wax it about every 2 months, however, I park in a dusty garage (apartment) and in just 1-2 days from sitting there it gets lightly dusty...people say "detailing spray" is safe to use to remove this light dust, is this true? I'm slightly worried about scratching the paint...

"Quick detailers, which are often called waterless washes, are commonly used by detailers and car enthusiasts to put the finishing touch on a freshly detailed vehicle. Quick Detail Spray products quickly and easily remove water spots, streaks, dust and other light contamination. The special formulations evaporate quickly to prevent further spotting, lubricate to prevent scratching and contain gloss enhancers to refresh your just waxed shine. Today, every major car care brand has a quick detailer or waterless wash type product in their line-up. For the car enthusiast, a quick detailer is more than just a convenience; it is a necessity and part of their car care routine."

I'd love to know if it's ok because I'd love to use a quick detailer to go over my car every 2 days or so...
Dust will scratch the paint if it isn't removed properly. That is a given. How much is the question. I always take the time to at least rinse the car before detailing.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would suggest getting a California Duster. Quicker than detailing, takes off the majority of dust. Doesn't scratch. Just read the directions. Should be good to go. I keep one in my trunk.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I do not always have the opportunity to wash my car as often as others. That being said, I DO use a waterless detailing spray every once in a while to get water spots, bird poop, and other junk off my paint before it has a chance to make a permanent impression. I use a lot of spray, and replace the paper towel often. I haven't seen a scratch yet, but washing would be the better way to go.

I just finished detailing the paint now, and the car hasn't been washed in about 3-4 weeks. I'm sure I'm at one end of the spectrum, with others keeping their car in a garage, covered, and removing the cover daily to clay bar and wash and wax. I would rather spend time driving my car, then spending all my time detailing it.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
I do not always have the opportunity to wash my car as often as others. That being said, I DO use a waterless detailing spray every once in a while to get water spots bird poop, and other junk off my paint before it has a chance to make a permanent impression. I use a lot of spray, and replace the paper towel often. I haven't seen a scratch yet, but washing would be the better way to go.

I just finished detailing the paint now, and the car hasn't been washed in about 3-4 weeks. I'm sure I'm at one end of the spectrum, with others keeping their car in a garage, covered, and removing the cover daily to clay bar and wash and wax. I would rather spend time driving my car, then spending all my time detailing it.
i hear that! i do the same as far as the detailing spray. i always seem to get compliments about how clean the car is but really its because i dont drive in the rain LOL

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Dust is like fine sand paper. Get it off before doing any wiping at all on the car.

·
Super Moderator
14,139 Posts
Detail spray, like Meguiars', does a great job on light dust. In between washings, it can't be beat. My SRT is two years old and looks showroom new.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Dust is like fine sand paper. Get it off before doing any wiping at all on the car.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
….a lot has to do with your particular tolerance, perception and expectation regarding your finish. Generally speaking, more contact will lead to higher chances of marring. Obviously, good products, tools and techniques will go a long way to help keep the probability as low as possible. ….your particular paint characteristics will play a big part as well (i.e. hardness/softness, color, etc.)

Personally, I rarely use QD’s for this purpose (dust removal). I usually prefer to use compressed air or my blower to first coax light dust/debris from the vehicle, then I QD the wheels and wipe down the windows. I don’t wipe down the painted panels in between washes unless it is for the purpose of spot-removing potentially harmful contaminants (i.e. bird bombs, etc.). Other than that I will wait until the next wash.

On occasion I will use a product called Optimum No Rinse (ONR). I prefer to use this to clean my vehicles when they are not quite dirty enough to warrant a full wash but a little too dirty for my other methods to be effective.

·
Premium Member
3,010 Posts
As mentioned earlier, get a California car duster and then properly use it to remove loose dust. Let the tips of the fibers glide over the surface, do not press down on the duster as you use it.

Works great on loose dust. If the dust has been damp, then it will not work.

Reactions: Howardlland

·
Registered
152 Posts
I am obsessive about my car but don't let it take up all that much time.
Spring: full clay, buff, zainos wax. Have a Portercable 7424. Then follow-up wax once per month until it goes back to bed in the garage in the winter.
In between is the trick. I pump $5 into the local car wash each friday and hose wash it once over. Wheels I am a bit rougher with. Soak with wheel cleaner spray then use a brush.
I use a california duster as well during the week between the quick washes.
For bird poop to avoid scratches, i soak an adams detailing cloth heavily in detailing spray, cover the poop in spray and lay the cloth over it for 20 minutes before attempting any poop removal.
I never spray and rub any part of the car unless it is after a wash.
It stays beautiful.
Invest a couple hundred bucks for the gear that will last a lifetime (portercable, buckets with gritguard, good US made cloths, duster)
Here is a photo on a regular work day. Not after a wash nor detail.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
Someone has a video on this. Do a search I think it's junkman. Or maybe speedys garage. I whatched it. It was real good

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As mentioned earlier, get a California car duster and then properly use it to remove loose dust. Let the tips of the fibers glide over the surface, do not press down on the duster as you use it.

Works great on loose dust. If the dust has been damp, then it will not work.
I'm def going to check out the duster, sounds like exactly what I need!

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am obsessive about my car but don't let it take up all that much time.
Spring: full clay, buff, zainos wax. Have a Portercable 7424. Then follow-up wax once per month until it goes back to bed in the garage in the winter.
In between is the trick. I pump $5 into the local car wash each friday and hose wash it once over. Wheels I am a bit rougher with. Soak with wheel cleaner spray then use a brush.
I use a california duster as well during the week between the quick washes.
For bird poop to avoid scratches, i soak an adams detailing cloth heavily in detailing spray, cover the poop in spray and lay the cloth over it for 20 minutes before attempting any poop removal.
I never spray and rub any part of the car unless it is after a wash.
It stays beautiful.
Invest a couple hundred bucks for the gear that will last a lifetime (portercable, buckets with gritguard, good US made cloths, duster)
Here is a photo on a regular work day. Not after a wash nor detail.
You have a proper garage and it's not your daily driver...sooooo hard to keep a daily driver clean :(, good thing is black from 5-10 feet away looks clean...until you get close. I've given up on keeping light scratches etc out of it, cuz it's black...but I just didn't want to put more in by detailing, but I'll go get one of those dusters tommorow they sound like a good investment, and I am planning to buy Zaino, just gotta wait until my parents go out of town so I can spend a day detailing the car in a DUST FREE garage

Anybody know what local stores would carry the duster?

·
Registered
74 Posts
A wool duster is what we recommend with a little instant detailer sprayed on it -- much safer than anything else you're going to use.

Another bonus is you can us it on a hot surface, like at a show, and it doesn't melt.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A wool duster is what we recommend with a little instant detailer sprayed on it -- much safer than anything else you're going to use.

Another bonus is you can us it on a hot surface, like at a show, and it doesn't melt.
So you don't personally think the California Car Duster lifts dust without scratching? It says they guarantee it and I can't imagine a product that's been around for THIS long really harms finishes, I bought a Super Duster and I'm guessing the reason the Duster is different is due to the wax embedded in the strands that "pull" dust off, I plan to super dust then follow with mothers FX spray wax (detailer) (if the paint is clear in the sun from dust)

·
Registered
191 Posts
I do not always have the opportunity to wash my car as often as others. That being said, I DO use a waterless detailing spray every once in a while to get water spots, bird poop, and other junk off my paint before it has a chance to make a permanent impression. I use a lot of spray, and replace the paper towel often. I haven't seen a scratch yet, but washing would be the better way to go.

You are using paper towel on your paint? :jawdrop:

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
+1 on this. If you don't remove the dust first whether it be light or heavy you will eventually get surface scratches or swirls in the clear. If it's in a parking garage that dust is likely to be dust from exhaust and other contaminents. You need to rinse that off before detailing.

To me showroom new does not cut it. All my cars are cleaner and the paint much better then when it was delivered to me.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
So you don't personally think the California Car Duster lifts dust without scratching? It says they guarantee it and I can't imagine a product that's been around for THIS long really harms finishes, I bought a Super Duster and I'm guessing the reason the Duster is different is due to the wax embedded in the strands that "pull" dust off, I plan to super dust then follow with mothers FX spray wax (detailer) (if the paint is clear in the sun from dust)
I use a Griot's Duster (same thing as a CD). They won't scratch if used properly. Just LIGHTLY drag the very tips of the fibers over the car. I mean LIGHT. I see people going crazy with those things scrubbing the car down and I just cringe.

After that if your judicious with the detail spray, and use nice micro fiber towels it will greatly lessen the possibility of scratches but you do still run the risk of a few. So wipe in only one direction. That will help hide any that do show up. Wiping in circles creates swirls and those show up big time.

My paint still looks great after 2 years.

If you haven't already check out my detailing articles on my site.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts