Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

The Dodge Challenger show car, displayed recently at the 2006 Detroit auto show, is a direct throwback to the short-lived '70s model, but with modern design touches and underpinnings far more sophisticated than its earlier counterpart had. The Camaro show car has a retro feeling but is really a fresh design...

From a production standpoint, the Challenger might be easier to pull off than a new Camaro. Chrysler based the Challenger on underpinnings that it would share with the rear-wheel-drive Dodge Magnum and Charger and the Chrysler 300. The plant that builds the current models is currently on three shifts, meaning 300,000 per year production. A low-volume model like that Challenger could keep the lines running full if there is a slowdown in demand for the other models. Chrysler is not facing the risk or investment that GM would be making.

Read more here

Source: Forbes.com
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,556 Posts
That old muscle car era had its downside. When you put in bigger engines, other parts--such as radiators and frames--get bigger and heavier. The overall costs go up, and some of the lightness and simple fun can get lost.
:confused: What is he thinkin? Yes they are heavier but less fun?:eek: Has he ever ridden in one I wonder?:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
But thankfully DCX has more common sense than to listen to some armchair seer reading tea leaves. This guy is obviously neither a fan of the era nor of the cars themselves. I say stick to your Camry if it makes you happy and leave the real cars to the "boy racers" (snort). He grudgingly acknowledges the spectacular success of the new mustang (compared to any modern market segment, not just pony cars) and then turns around and questions the overall market size because it failed to match the all time sales record for 50 years running of 400,000 units. He holds up the Pontiac GTO as an example of what could happen but neglects to mention the main reason for its failure: it isn't true to the form. The guy thinks the challenger could fail because its "too retro". Give me a break. It will sail past even the wildest expectations precisely because it is "too retro".

We've been forcefed a diet of cheap ass beaters for almost three decades, so long most people can't remember what its like to drive an american car with class and presence. Then DCX steps up to the plate and gets flooded by a tidalwave of positive feedback with people demanding the car be built. And how should we interpret this enthusiasm..? Yeah I'm sure they're all lying Jerry when their only instinct is to throw their wallets at the DCX rep in the Dodge booth. Do the math.

The only thing he actually gets right is there needs to be a v6 base platform to compete with mustang for the teens and secretaries. But we on this board have been saying this for... what? months now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Obviously the guy is not into performance pony cars. He probably drives a Caddy or Lincoln and just doesn't "get it". Detroit needs to listen to their true fans and produce the cars that they want. They have tried to copycat Japan and it just does not work! As for me, bring the new Challenger on and I will buy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
When you have 35-year-old vehicles being auctioned off for six figures these days, I’d say there is a market out there for them. For every one person who is willing and able to buy a classic muscle car from yesteryear, there are probably hundreds if not thousands who would love the opportunity if it came brand new off the showroom floor, within our budget and with all the safety features and creature comforts that their legendary predecessors lacked.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: The question is not whether DaimlerChrysler can afford to build this car; the question is can they afford NOT to build it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
ND RAM said:
:confused: What is he thinkin? Yes they are heavier but less fun?:eek: Has he ever ridden in one I wonder?:rolleyes:
he said some, so he is not against muscle cars. I think he is talking about taking it to the curves it will still be more fun to go 70 around a corner in say...an srt-4 or 50 in a chally
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,027 Posts
rcaponong said:
When you have 35-year-old vehicles being auctioned off for six figures these days, I’d say there is a market out there for them. For every one person who is willing and able to buy a classic muscle car from yesteryear, there are probably hundreds if not thousands who would love the opportunity if it came brand new off the showroom floor, within our budget and with all the safety features and creature comforts that their legendary predecessors lacked.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: The question is not whether DaimlerChrysler can afford to build this car; the question is can they afford NOT to build it?

OHHHHH SO RIGHT!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
"Would it be better to concentrate the money and manpower to develop stylish mass-market sedans and other practical vehicles to battle the challenge of Toyota, Honda and Hyundai?"

Thats why they are in a big mess in the first place. Detroit tried building these 'practical' cars (see any GM lot for proof) and people didnt buy them. Detroit needs to stop copying cheap imports, building bland cars all together and build exciting pure AMERICAN cars that the Japs and Koreans can never build.

Thats how Harley-Davidson has competed against the Japanese bike companies for years - build something unique that has personality, power and SOUL that they cant perfectally copy for a cheaper price. The Chrysler 300 fits this mold and so does the Challenger. I think its funny that people have been trading in thier Lexus, BMW's and (so ironic!) Mercedes and buying the Chrysler 300 Hemi instead. None of those imports have that big boy inside.

DCX may "test the waters" with the Challenger as a limited production car. But my bet is that the demand will so great for this car they will have to go full production to satisfy everyone. If DCX wants to compete head-to-head with the Mustang it cant be a limited production car. It has to be afforable too, which most all maxxed out Limited production cars aren't.. And it's "too retro"??! People in the USA LOVE the retro look. Get rid of these computer generated shoe boxes and design works of art like they did back in the 50's and 60's.

We need to ignore backward-thinking writers like this guy, and support magazines and webisites that want this car to happen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
http://www.canadianbusiness.com/managing/strategy/article.jsp?content=20060116_73813_73813
Automotive: Dispatches from Detroit

Paul Brent
writeArticleSource("January 16-29, 2006");From the January 16-29, 2006 Issue of Canadian Business Magazine
Standing on the brink of bankruptcy at this year's North American International Auto Show in Detroit, General Motors seemed to ignore its predicament. Rather than focus attention on its attempt to relaunch big SUVs--the company's traditional money-makers--GM put the spotlight on its Camaro concept car. And both moves show the behemoth of North America's Big Three still doesn't get it. // Here's another writer that doesn't "get it".
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,556 Posts
BigL said:
http://www.canadianbusiness.com/managing/strategy/article.jsp?content=20060116_73813_73813
Automotive: Dispatches from Detroit

Paul Brent
writeArticleSource("January 16-29, 2006");From the January 16-29, 2006 Issue of Canadian Business Magazine
Standing on the brink of bankruptcy at this year's North American International Auto Show in Detroit, General Motors seemed to ignore its predicament. Rather than focus attention on its attempt to relaunch big SUVs--the company's traditional money-makers--GM put the spotlight on its Camaro concept car. And both moves show the behemoth of North America's Big Three still doesn't get it. // Here's another writer that doesn't "get it".
Honestly for GM their cash cow has been their SUVs for quite some time now and it would cost more to reintroduce a completely new car than to redesign their SUVs but is it just me or didn't they just redesign the Tahoe?:confused: I do agree that GM ignored their financial problems. They are asking a lot of the Camaro, which better work for them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Mr.DJ said:





Source: Forbes.com
That's the whole source of the problem right there.
Like anyone from Forbes has ever had a finger on the pulse of the general populous. They cater to an entirely different crowd...a crowd who obvously doesn't understand.:rolleyes:

I'll flick their opinions off my shoulder, as I do little bits of dandruff...flick!:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've really enjoyed reading our members comments lately, especially within this thread. Sometimes one wonders how writers become writers, as many of you are just as articulate and even more insightful...keep-up the excitement. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
two and a half years ago when i was looking for a new car, i wanted something under 20k for a daily driver, but it also had to be fun to drive. even cheap econo cars cost a few bucks now days, so if your going to lay out the cash you might as well get a car thats fun to own, not just boring transportation, you can get a kia for that, i looked at what all the makers had to offer and there just wasn't anything that got me stoked up enough to lay down that cash. than the srt-4 showed up, even though i'm not a neon fan, after driving one, i had to have it. it fit all my needs of low cost, economy, and best of all, it had some zip, now about the time i'll be looking for a more up scale weekend hobby car the challenger should be coming out, i can't wait, it's been many years since i was excited about what detroit was building, if dcx drops the ball on this one, whos knows how long i'll have to wait. i'd hate to have to buy a mustang to fuel my mid life crises.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Mr.DJ said:
I've really enjoyed reading our members comments lately, especially within this thread. Sometimes one wonders how writers become writers, as many of you are just as articulate and even more insightful...keep-up the excitement. :)
Magazines like Forbes are for business investors and shareholders, not car fans. At least the magazine was nice enough to reprint the article free on the net, so we dont have to buy it. Who's gonna drive this car to wall street?

To say the Challenger could have the same fate as the GTO was ignorant. The GTO failed because because it was an import and the Poncho faithful who wanted an American made car felt insulted and rejected it. The bland styling, dissapointing road tests, and the high sticker price didnt help. DCX has got off to a fantastc start introducing the Challenger concept and I hope they keep pushing all the right buttons with Mopar fans.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Concepts come home
Chicago Sun-Times, United States - 3 hours ago
... Dodge Challenger: Dodge also needs a rear-drive Mustang fighter, as was its slick, classic 1970-74 Challenger. Dodge has done an ...
Here's a bit of news on a more positive note. There's even mention of a Barracuda in this article. Is it a misprint? We can only dream for now but sometimes dreams become reality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
334 Posts
camlifter said:
two and a half years ago when i was looking for a new car, i wanted something under 20k for a daily driver, but it also had to be fun to drive. even cheap econo cars cost a few bucks now days, so if your going to lay out the cash you might as well get a car thats fun to own, not just boring transportation, you can get a kia for that, i looked at what all the makers had to offer and there just wasn't anything that got me stoked up enough to lay down that cash. than the srt-4 showed up, even though i'm not a neon fan, after driving one, i had to have it. it fit all my needs of low cost, economy, and best of all, it had some zip, now about the time i'll be looking for a more up scale weekend hobby car the challenger should be coming out, i can't wait, it's been many years since i was excited about what detroit was building, if dcx drops the ball on this one, whos knows how long i'll have to wait. i'd hate to have to buy a mustang to fuel my mid life crises.
THIS Owner of an SRT4, aspiring to own the new Challanger, represents the kind of long term equity building that ONE Car Maker (out of the Big Three) understands. They have built a ladder of automobiles for true auto enthusiasts to climb, and to have fun at each rung of said ladder. PLus, they made the lowest rung of the ladder attainable...

After he (she?) buys the Challenger, then perhaps an SRT8 300c, etc etc etc, or whatever D/C is offering in the future.

These cars are GREAT to own. I'm tickled pink every time I drive my Black 300C/SRT8. I will own the Challenger, and I won't trade the SRT8 to get it; I'm keeping it.

LJB:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Hope you don't mind being stared at all the time in that black 300c/SRT-8;
You certainly won't be cutting any lower profile in the Challenger!!! :) :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
334 Posts
Sublime 340 said:
Hope you don't mind being stared at all the time in that black 300c/SRT-8;
You certainly won't be cutting any lower profile in the Challenger!!! :) :)
No trouble at all...

I Like it.

LJB:cool:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
95 Posts
Sublime 340 said:
Hope you don't mind being stared at all the time in that black 300c/SRT-8;
You certainly won't be cutting any lower profile in the Challenger!!! :) :)
Don't worry, I am sure he is used to it while bahnburing in his ///M3.:cool:
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top