Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Dewhel jack pads

12K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  Parrott_350 
#1 · (Edited)
So I was ready to drop $50 on the ZL1 addons front jack pads, but they were out of stock, I found the Dewhels on amazon for $30, didn’t find much info on them, a few members use them I found. Anyways, they arrived today, the quality seems great, whether they’re a complete ripoff of the ZL1 addons parts or if they are the same without the labeling, I don’t know but these seem really nice! I’m goin to have my nephew cut me a couple of red vinyl arrows with “lift” to put on them

here’s what they’ll look like with the decals I’m getting for them, NOT MY CAR BELOW
Automotive exterior Bumper Floor Vehicle door Vehicle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

See less See more
#3 ·
Great idea! Thanks...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#4 · (Edited)
Beware when installing:
Not sure how large your pads are in relation to the ones I made myself, or to the ZL-1's for that matter.

You'll be fitting them into a tight little plastic pocket with a protruding plastic rivet (which helps hold the plastic in place). When I put mine on, I didn't want to be lifting the car with this plastic rivet in the way... as it protrudes quite a bit and would skew the lift pad off on an angle. I engineered my pad to fit the available space.
[/url]image by gary house, on Flickr[/IMG]

Below you can see the rivet better. If this rivet is in the way of your pad, the rivet can be removed. The pad will hold the plastic in place.

image by gary house, on Flickr

This final picture shows the car up on the jack. You can see clearly the plastic that surrounds the pad.

Good luck. And lastly, you might want to goop up your threads with something to prevent corrosion over time.

#5 ·
ha I actually remember your post when I installed mine, I had no such issue luckily

#8 ·
#7 ·
Going to try on 2019 model

well, these look pretty good, functional.
I am going to order a set for a 2019 model Challenger. They should work. Interesting that you don't put some kind of RTV or something between the jack block and frame of car.
I'll report how these do on a 2019 .

#15 · (Edited)
...Interesting that you don't put some kind of RTV or something between the jack block and frame of car.
You are right in my case. Suppose I could have cut up a piece of milk carton and slipped it in there as a blotter, but didn't think of it. Not sure about the ZL-1 or this latest brand spotlighted on this thread. I've not taken them off the car since I put them on so no news on issues with frame contact. However, I'm inclined to believe that this is a non issue as this is some pretty thick metal and nobody will ever see that section of "frame" (not technically a frame) again.

Another option is the magnetized pads...
I didn't realize you were talking about a different product than the one pictured on this thread. Guess I read it too fast. Or perhaps my old age. Maybe both... HA. Glad that the black Dewael pads featured on this thread are not magnetically attached.

#11 ·
Another option is the magnetized pads that can easily be installed and removed at each use. I like these because the round shape of the contact surface makes it easy to center the floor jack while remaining standing. My big fear with the Byenins pads was that I would forget to remove them then have them fall off while driving the vehicle. Well, I did it. Forgot to remove the pad after changing back to street tires at the drag strip last Friday night. Much to my suprise, they were still in place Saturday morning after a 70 mile drive home the night before.

#16 ·
hey, bringing up an old thread here, but its kind of relevant ,maybe. What do the rear 'jack pads' look like on the Challenger? Is it that 'cone' shaped item protruding downward ? There is no pad near the 'notch' with the plastic trim, in front of the rear wheels on my Challenger. Did Previous model years come with rear Jack pads before the 2019 models ?
I have added a pair on the front, at the plastic notch,

I think there maybe room to change to 'jack-pad' ?
Or its the name of my Challenger:unsure: , we had a dog named Jack, he was a good dog.
I added these yesterday. set screws on back side and I added some 'marine rtv' to the top of the pad. held in place with my 'jack' tightened the screws. No plastic to remove, It was a clean install. metal to top of jack pad,
Looking up:

Right & Left sides went on nice. I was wondering about a rear set ,but I had read that Challengers some with jacking pads already installed.
Its not near this notch on the plastic bottom trim, if there is one .
thanks
parrott

#20 · (Edited)
hey, bringing up an old thread here, but its kind of relevant ,maybe. What do the rear 'jack pads' look like on the Challenger? Is it that 'cone' shaped item protruding downward ? There is no pad near the 'notch' with the plastic trim, in front of the rear wheels on my Challenger. Did Previous model years come with rear Jack pads before the 2019 models ?
I have added a pair on the front, at the plastic notch,
View attachment 994346
I think there maybe room to change to 'jack-pad' ?
Or its the name of my Challenger:unsure: , we had a dog named Jack, he was a good dog.
I added these yesterday. set screws on back side and I added some 'marine rtv' to the top of the pad. held in place with my 'jack' tightened the screws. No plastic to remove, It was a clean install. metal to top of jack pad,
Looking up:
View attachment 994347
Right & Left sides went on nice. I was wondering about a rear set ,but I had read that Challengers some with jacking pads already installed.
Its not near this notch on the plastic bottom trim, if there is one .
thanks
parrott
I bought those and decided not to install them because they hit the plastic guards on the underside of the car. I was thinking if I bolted those on with part of it hitting the plastic it would damage the guard and put uneven pressure on the jack point. Did it not hit the plastic guard on yours?

#17 ·
So I was ready to drop $50 on the ZL1 addons front jack pads, but they were out of stock, I found the Dewhels on amazon for $30, didn’t find much info on them, a few members use them I found. Anyways, they arrived today, the quality seems great, whether they’re a complete ripoff of the ZL1 addons parts or if they are the same without the labeling, I don’t know but these seem really nice! I’m goin to have my nephew cut me a couple of red vinyl arrows with “lift” to put on them

here’s what they’ll look like with the decals I’m getting for them, NOT MY CAR BELOW
View attachment 931391

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
So, and excuse my ignorance as I am actually taking it in tomorrow morning for the 5000 miles wheels/tires balance/rotation. I just went to look under the car as tumbling on this thread.

The rear does have the pads for lifting but the front does not. However, a bit more inward there is like a transverse seemingly solid frame. Is that what they will use? as I read to not use the floor pan for sure. Should I be alarmed?... Definitely not the weld joins either. These guys know what they are doing but should I warn them about a better way and the right way to lift the front?

I also need to ask as I will order those pads, do they stay on the car? [I think so...]

Thanks a lot...

#18 ·
Hey Beemerchef, There seems to me two kinds, the permanent ones which like I installed, out on the weld but if you look at the first photo's on the thread, that is the appropriate place to install the jack pads.
Then you have the temporary ones you put on the pinch weld that has a magnet that holds it in place for you to just up the car and when you let the Challenger down, you pull the jack pad off . Its easy to use,

If my Challenger had a jack, it would probably would have a notch cut in the lift point to straddle that pinch weld. It indicates that in the owners manual and says the indents in the bottom plastic trim, is where the jack goes. Its never says exclusively to put it at that notch, but it does say place at the notch indent in the plastic trim.
"Place the jack underneath the lift area that is closest to the flat tire. Turn the jack screw clockwise to fimely engage the ' jack saddle' with the lift area of 'sill flange.' "<
I translate that 'sill flange' as the long 'pinch weld' along the bottom of the car The diagram in the manual shows the rear jacking point nearer to the door, whereas on the Challenger,( in the driveway) its closer to the rear tire.
I will take a pic,
best parrott

#26 ·
Hey Beemerchef, There seems to me two kinds, the permanent ones which like I installed, out on the weld but if you look at the first photo's on the thread, that is the appropriate place to install the jack pads.
Then you have the temporary ones you put on the pinch weld that has a magnet that holds it in place for you to just up the car and when you let the Challenger down, you pull the jack pad off . Its easy to use,

If my Challenger had a jack, it would probably would have a notch cut in the lift point to straddle that pinch weld. It indicates that in the owners manual and says the indents in the bottom plastic trim, is where the jack goes. Its never says exclusively to put it at that notch, but it does say place at the notch indent in the plastic trim.

I translate that 'sill flange' as the long 'pinch weld' along the bottom of the car The diagram in the manual shows the rear jacking point nearer to the door, whereas on the Challenger,( in the driveway) its closer to the rear tire.
I will take a pic,
best parrott
Thanks for the reply.

So the car went in today for another oil change [3rd one in 5,000 miles, next 10K] and since I can see them work on the car I noticed that their lift has rubber pads. They did use the "weld seam" up front but the pads being about 3/4" rubber, the weld just sank in there and no damage whatsoever. I will never be working on my car and they will be the only ones working on it so I can pass up buying those pads unless the situation changes.

Appreciate the effort. Thanks again.

#19 ·
here we go, this shows the 'notch'/indent in that plastic rail along the bottom edge, near the rear tire. It also shows that plastic cone thing, Its pretty solid. maybe that is the jacking point? One on each side of the car.
Hmmmmmmm
Parrott

It has the 'Chrysler' emblem on the part, can't beat that : )
closer:

If its a jack point, good location. If it isn't , well , then we need to add jack pads on the rear of the Challenger. I have to wash the Challenger,
parrott

#21 ·
Those are factory installed jack points for the rear. For some weird reason, they come with rear points but not front.
This company sells the same type of thing for the front. For '17 and newer there is a threaded hole they go into. For '16 & older you need to put an insert into the subframe. I have them on my '16. They were a little bit of a PITA to install but once they are in they are solid. I did notice the front are a bit further inboard than the rear. Its a harder reach with my floor jack

here we go, this shows the 'notch'/indent in that plastic rail along the bottom edge, near the rear tire. It also shows that plastic cone thing, Its pretty solid. maybe that is the jacking point? One on each side of the car.
Hmmmmmmm
Parrott

It has the 'Chrysler' emblem on the part, can't beat that : )
closer:

If its a jack point, good location. If it isn't , well , then we need to add jack pads on the rear of the Challenger. I have to wash the Challenger,
parrott

#22 ·
Hi McCloud, Nope no plastic around. The thin part of the jack pad is on the outside of the pinch weld, behind the bottom trim. The top of jack pad, the big hunk of aluminum, went right up to the bottom the car. no plastic around at all. Let me see if I have a pic , its strange to take a pic upside down, LOL

I kept fidding with the plastic trim. It has nothing to do with the jack pad. I adjusted the two screws up in the front wheel well, that the trim attaches to. It seems straighter, but I keep pushing the bottom trim back towards the side of the jack pad. to close that quarter inch gap there. Nothing to connect it to the car. but that is sheet metal right above the jack pad. Its not plastic, and you see the pinch weld there.
I didn't trim anything. Pencil eraser are those marks on the pad. It was wedged in there to hold it on my test fit. I have marine rtv on the jack pad and the car, to hep hold it in please over time.
I hope this helps.
best regards
parrott

#24 ·
Hi McCloud, Nope no plastic around. The thin part of the jack pad is on the outside of the pinch weld, behind the bottom trim. The top of jack pad, the big hunk of aluminum, went right up to the bottom the car. no plastic around at all. Let me see if I have a pic , its strange to take a pic upside down, LOL View attachment 994362
I kept fidding with the plastic trim. It has nothing to do with the jack pad. I adjusted the two screws up in the front wheel well, that the trim attaches to. It seems straighter, but I keep pushing the bottom trim back towards the side of the jack pad. to close that quarter inch gap there. Nothing to connect it to the car. but that is sheet metal right above the jack pad. Its not plastic, and you see the pinch weld there.
I didn't trim anything. Pencil eraser are those marks on the pad. It was wedged in there to hold it on my test fit. I have marine rtv on the jack pad and the car, to hep hold it in please over time.
I hope this helps.
best regards
parrott
Thanks for the pics.. I double checked.. not sure WTH I thought was happening.. probably would have helped if I lifted the car at least enough to see under there (car is lowered) I'll be putting those on tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

#30 ·
That is killer McCloud. Mine is like the pic from 'Cabdriver' , there is no plastic on the bottom/ inside of the pinch-weld.
I guess they changed them a little since 2016/17 ? I think there is a small hole for that plastic rivet shown on your pic, under my car in front of the jack pad.
I guess if you had enough room and your challenger is high enough you could trim that plastic with a dremal cut tool or x-acto knife, to fit the pad in.
Best regards
parrott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.