Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 Dodge Challenger 5.7- 25000 original miles - was Overhauled recently and theyinstalled a Procharger with Shaker - when we got it back it threw a randome code- on cold start- MIL. We took it to High performance shop and they determined it is a random code and since the installer did not change the spark plugs, we would benefit from installing the iridium at .35 (recommended). So they changed out spark plugs from stock to iridium .35 - They did a compression test and result is "Healthy Engine". They cleared the code and we drove it home- no problem. Cold start the next day, random code is back Diablo inTune says P0300 random misfire- The installer and Procharge think the custom tune needs to be tweeked - They feel nothing is wrong with the engine. Thoughts? I am also curious if a car, that never had a single issue for the past 10 years, can throw a code simply because the custom tune is set too sensitive or not sensitive enough? Would appreciate your assistance

·
Premium Member
5,279 Posts
0.035” gap on the plugs seems narrow. They are supposed to be 0.045” IIRC, and I’ve never heard of superchargers requiring less plug gap...cooler plugs, yes, but not less-gapped ones.

Anyway, P0300 is the worst of the misfires. Too generic to help much, but it’s usually accompanied with a P030x code that pinpoints which cylinder is misfiring. The fact that yours does not have a more specific code along with the generic one is probably significant. Like maybe all cylinders are experiencing misfires? IDK, that’s just a guess.

Although it could be related to the plug gap thing...if they are all gapped too narrow, they all could be misfiring, and hence the generic 300 code...IDK, still guessing.

Without more data, it’s going to be hard to diagnose I’m afraid...

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
2010 Dodge Challenger 5.7- 25000 original miles - was Overhauled recently and theyinstalled a Procharger with Shaker - when we got it back it threw a randome code- on cold start- MIL. We took it to High performance shop and they determined it is a random code and since the installer did not change the spark plugs, we would benefit from installing the iridium at .35 (recommended). So they changed out spark plugs from stock to iridium .35 - They did a compression test and result is "Healthy Engine". They cleared the code and we drove it home- no problem. Cold start the next day, random code is back Diablo inTune says P0300 random misfire- The installer and Procharge think the custom tune needs to be tweeked - They feel nothing is wrong with the engine. Thoughts? I am also curious if a car, that never had a single issue for the past 10 years, can throw a code simply because the custom tune is set too sensitive or not sensitive enough? Would appreciate your assistance
It was good that you went to a cooler plug and reduced the gap. When the car is under boost the gap needs to be tighter because of the increased cylinder pressure. They actually could have gone a little tighter on the gap. They could have gone to as low as 28.. Typically 28-32 under low boost (15lb or less). So you could try going a little tighter on the gap, but it wouldn’t hurt to have the tune checked out. You may be okay at 35, pulling and gapping 16 plugs takes some time, so my suggestion would be to double check the tune then go back to the plugs.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Appreciate that. ProCharger is going to check the tune when he calls us. That hand held Diablo i3 is what it came with. Now the auto start is shutting off after about 5seconds. Not sure if that is related to the code. We did not clear it until the Procharger guy has a chance to check the data log - We feel like the procharger is going to continue to throw codes - any advise or references or even someone else's story would be appreciated

1 - 4 of 4 Posts