Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm fairly new to the tune. I installed Diablo, 93 octane. It's pretty good as a canned tune. I went to make some adjustments and it wouldn't complete last phase and wouldn't start. My heart sank, I tried not to overreact... The next morning I got tech support, forced a reboot of stock tune.. Went deep into handheld unit, codes, screens I had no idea existed.. It --Started--, T. G.. As the tech and I spoke,
I said, " Doing the tune is playing with the devil" He agreed..
The thing is, it was just a glitch when writing to the PCM, worst case scenario, mail in the PCM, 3 day turn around, flashed and g2g.
Always make tune adjustments Sunday through Thursday. At least then, if this happens, you'll have help the next day.
After the stock tune went well, I pretended it was someone else's car, crossed my fingers and went through the process of putting Diablo tune back on, adjustments, runs great. Playing with the PCM is a risk worth taking. Nothing is irreversible, one way or the other, it will work out. The Diablo support was primo.. I hope this finds someone when deafening silence follows the push of a button.
JD

0219201648_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Car info :
2014 5.7 R/T Automatic
100th Anniversary
High Octane Red
K&N CAI
Borla S Type cat back
AFE high flow catted midpipes
Haven't done headers

0225201433_HDR.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,112 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) Glad it worked out for you. A pucker moment for sure :)

A Guy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually was surprised at how I internally combusted. I'm an old school fuel, spark, air guy.
I, without knowing all the ins and outs, pictured it getting flat beded, dealer issue, $$$,.. They ( any canned tune programming) can't put the stuff that might happen in the advertising, or it wouldn't sell. The fact is, people just need to endure occasional blips and learn from it and not flip out. Knowledge can stop that factor. The whole concept of altering the hardcore functionality of a car and seeing the difference immediately is more than cool. I've never had a car worthy of what I've been doing to it.
Take care..

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,602 Posts
Welcome to the forum. My experience running a diablo trinity is it would drain the battery if left plugged in for more than 2 weeks with the car just sitting, which I hope is not an issue on the newer interfaces. I switched over to HP tuners as it allows way more tuning options, however it can be glitchy too. First time I had a no start after a flash I was able to recover by disconnecting the battery and attempting another write. Was a pucker moment for sure so I feel your pain. Main thing is, keep a copy of your stock tune (on your PC and on a USB)...this holds true for diablo as well as HP tuners.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,226 Posts
Welcome to the forum. My experience running a diablo trinity is it would drain the battery if left plugged in for more than 2 weeks with the car just sitting, which I hope is not an issue on the newer interfaces. I switched over to HP tuners as it allows way more tuning options, however it can be glitchy too. First time I had a no start after a flash I was able to recover by disconnecting the battery and attempting another write. Was a pucker moment for sure so I feel your pain. Main thing is, keep a copy of your stock tune (on your PC and on a USB)...this holds true for diablo as well as HP tuners.
That battery thing was finally fixed a couple years ago IIRC. I know it was a huge deal for a while, but it hasn’t been an issue since I got my Trinity (almost two years ago).

I had an original Predator with my 2010 Challenger and I messed around while changing parameters for a tune load, and it hung up because of some improbable change I made, so I freaked out and pulled the rip cord on the flash. Unplugged the Predator, unhooked battery, hooked it back up and hit the Start button.

The resulting behavior was not only strange and foreign to me, but scared me bad. Things were clicking, beeping, cycling, and every dash light the car had was going crazy. I was certain I had bricked that PCM, 100% certain after only 10-15 seconds of that cacophony of engine noises and dash light show.

But I was able to reload the original tune saved off in the Predator at marriage, and it started acting normal again with no sign of how close to death it had been.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,602 Posts
That battery thing was finally fixed a couple years ago IIRC. I know it was a huge deal for a while, but it hasn’t been an issue since I got my Trinity (almost two years ago).

I had an original Predator with my 2010 Challenger and I messed around while changing parameters for a tune load, and it hung up because of some improbable change I made, so I freaked out and pulled the rip cord on the flash. Unplugged the Predator, unhooked battery, hooked it back up and hit the Start button.

The resulting behavior was not only strange and foreign to me, but scared me bad. Things were clicking, beeping, cycling, and every dash light the car had was going crazy. I was certain I had bricked that PCM, 100% certain after only 10-15 seconds of that cacophony of engine noises and dash light show.

But I was able to reload the original tune saved off in the Predator at marriage, and it started acting normal again with no sign of how close to death it had been.
If I left the car sit with the T1000 plugged in the battery would deplete in a couple of weeks. Even had the latest firmware and changed the setting as stated on the diablo forum. I always wondered why a power switch was not added to the T1000? I recently found a OBD cable that has a switch integrated into the cable and if I still had the trinity I would have given it a try.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,226 Posts
If I left the car sit with the T1000 plugged in the battery would deplete in a couple of weeks. I always wondered why a power switch was not added to the T1000? I recently found a OBD cable that has a switch integrated into the cable and if I still had the trinity I would have given it a try.

I saw so many complaints on their forum about that behavior that I did a little reading up on what was going on, and no one seemed to know what the hell. Which in and of itself was disconcerting, but it’s definitely been fixed since then.

The best I could ascertain, the problem was with the device waking up every so many minutes and polling the PCM for status or something. That would cause the EVIC and other related lights on the dash to illuminate briefly while it responded “still asleep” or whatever. And I guess that repeated illumination was enough over time to draw a fully charged battery down to a point it can longer start the engine.

Hell, throw a weak or dying battery into the equation, and it probably doesn’t take long at all for those tuners to drain enough charge to make starting a no-go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts