Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, not sure if anyone heard yet, but Diablo released their TCM performance tune to go with their canned tunes. I installed it tonight with my Trinity, but its pouring out so won't be testing it tn...Anyone have the new TCM tune, and if so how is it?

·
Registered
850 Posts
My opinion is that it is a slight but noticeable improvement in the way the transmission shifts/feels. Of course if you want more then a professional tuner can probably make some more improvements.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
I tried updating my Trinity to the new crom file to download the trans tuning stuff and all DS Downloader did was crash over and over during the update. I gave up. I reverted back to an older version and will just stick with engine tuning until next spring most likely.

I've heard the 5.7L cars will drop .1 or so off the ET, but they don't have Track mode available to them even with a Tazer. Track mode was good for .1 off over Sport mode. So my guess is the 6.4L guys may not see as much of an improvement. I've also talked with Bill at Paramount and he said removing torque management off the trans has killed many of them while he was testing converters out. His website now states with his aftermarket 8HP70 transmissions, removal of torque management will automatically void the warranty.

I'm not really seeing where significant gains will be had. Track mode already shifts hard as hell and locks the converter up early. You could bump up your shift points a few hundred RPM, but I don't know how much of a gain that would give you. I'd like to see some concrete results from others before I give it a try. Not to mention having to figure out whatever software problems my tuner was having trying to use the new version of DS Downloader.

Keep us posted as to your results/feedback. If you run your car at the track, see what kind of gains it gives you. I'd be interested to see if it's really worth it or not.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I've seen nothing to indicate it would change ET enough to notice at the track. My opinion is the canned tune just moves the "default" settings slightly in the direction of "Sport" mode. Only Diablo Sport can tell you what they did in the canned tune. You need a Pro tuner to make any more changes. I simply like the way it feels now. In my mind it's just not quite as sloppy.
As far as warranty, I'm sure I gave that up when I added the Magnuson.
My bottom line is it took me a full day including charging my battery 2 times to complete the process. Would I do it again? No.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Dodge really decreased the torque management on the transmissions since the initial setup in the 2015 6.4 cars. People with a 2015 car could possibly benefit from a TCM flash. I've seen the early 2015 TM tables, and the 2016+ tables, and I don't think I'd mess with changing anything if it is already up-to-date for the TCM from Chrysler. Now, clutch timing, pressures, TC lockup, etc. could possibly be beneficial.

I'd be interested to see what they actually modified from stock. I'd like to apply Diablosport's tune, and then read it with HPT to see what changes they made, but I don't want to flash my TCM at all. FCA replaced my transmission a couple of months ago, and I'm sure they're gonna keep a close eye on my car next time it's there.

In any case, I wonder if FCA's tinkering with their program is what slowed the progress at Diablosport. DS may have had an almost decent program, and then FCA updated their program, and suddenly DS's program didn't change much... Who knows?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
If someone goes out and runs their car and can show it dropped .1 or .15 off the ET even in Track mode over the stock TCM setup, then I'd definitely look into it at least. But as of right now I really don't see how it would make any significant difference at the track. That's all I really care about. I'm happy with how the transmission shifts currently.

I figured for $75 I could get a custom TCM tune and drop another .1 or so off the ET, but apparently the process is a PITA and it may not do all that much anyway.

You would think if it yielded solid results, DS could just test it at a track back to back and show how it will drop ET or how it will shift smoother/crisper on the street. Then you'd feel a little better about biting the bullet and trying it out. But then if it doesn't yield very good results, then you really don't want to display that. Everything I've read shows that Track mode is pretty much as good as it gets. I"m sure there is room for improvement, but I just don't know how much.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
The key is to delete all TM on the engine side. Now, you only want to do this on a stock or bolt on 6.4L. If you go 100+ horsepower over stock, leave most of the TM alone.

I've had all my engine TM disabled for a while now and it makes a big difference. I haven't touched TM on the transmission side, but I can tell you that Track mode has virtually no TM in the TCM programming.

The car is pretty violent with no TM at all. The car shutters hard on kick downs and actually generates false knock on the up shifts. It wouldn't be good on it for pure daily driving, and it wouldn't be conducive to a pleasant driving experience either.

I can guarantee you Diablo isn't giving you much of anything with their TCM tuning.

Reactions: GreeninTN

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
^ I don't think the canned tunes offer much, but neither do the engine canned tunes. You have to go with a custom tune to get better results. I'm guessing the same applies with TCM tuning.

I know on my custom tune the TM is turned off either all the way or down significantly on the engine side as the car picked up quite a bit over the stock tune. But the trans I haven't touched yet. From what I've heard the 8HP70 won't last too long if you disable TM all the way. Maybe you can remove a little and it would be okay. No real longevity results yet to speak of though, just a guess right now.

I think Track mode is pretty awesome as it is. But hopefully some others will report back some solid results. Until then I'm going to table that idea.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
^ I don't think the canned tunes offer much, but neither do the engine canned tunes. You have to go with a custom tune to get better results. I'm guessing the same applies with TCM tuning.

I know on my custom tune the TM is turned off either all the way or down significantly on the engine side as the car picked up quite a bit over the stock tune. But the trans I haven't touched yet. From what I've heard the 8HP70 won't last too long if you disable TM all the way. Maybe you can remove a little and it would be okay. No real longevity results yet to speak of though, just a guess right now.

I think Track mode is pretty awesome as it is. But hopefully some others will report back some solid results. Until then I'm going to table that idea.
You can get very aggressive with TM removal on the engine side. Launch spark,spark TM, fuel TM, ETC TM, etc.

You can also lower shift times down below 160ms... I have track mode set at 130ms and I reduced the times on both sport and default mode as well. My car drives so well in default mode. The shifts are firm and quick... pretty much perfect and 100% better than stock.

Sport mode pressures are actually higher than Track mode, since Track mode has virtually no TM in the TCM programming.

Day to day driving is as much improved as performance. Stock, my car had a terrible slip / lag on the 4-5 in Sport mode. I was able to completely correct that.

You can also tune out any "hard landings" in Sport/Track mode. That is what I call the thud when coming to stop in Sport or Track.

I know my car pretty well and it would absolutely launch harder with the TM removal and TCM programming. I can be rolling about 20 mph in 2nd gear and roll the back end completely out now.... it would have never did that before.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
^ Sounds good. Give us an update when you hit the track. Interested to see what kind of times you can put down now with the trans tuning and other changes you've made. The fall air is here now, time for everyone to start setting new PB's haha!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
^ Sounds good. Give us an update when you hit the track. Interested to see what kind of times you can put down now with the trans tuning and other changes you've made. The fall air is here now, time for everyone to start setting new PB's haha!
My cam goes in next week and I would definitely run it after that if the inconsiderate borrower/stealer of my wheels and tires would kindly return them.

I think I'll be close to 11.0 with the new manifold and cam.

Reactions: kawiman

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
My cam goes in next week and I would definitely run it after that if the inconsiderate borrower/stealer of my wheels and tires would kindly return them.

I think I'll be close to 11.0 with the new manifold and cam.
I know the one guy on the other forum is running 11.1 at 124mph or so with a Comp 270 cam and different heads and all the typical bolt ons. I'm sure it will run low 11's. Would be cool to hit high 10's. I'd like to hit 11.3 next year with a few more bolt ons and further tuning.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My tuner has locked up two PCMs attempting to apply the TCM update from Diablo for the 5.7. Has anybody done this successfully?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes, installed TCM support for my procharged 2016 5.7 r/t yesterday. For some reason my I2 locks up when I attempt to modify Full Throttle Revlimiter in Drive parameter?

·
Registered
2014 Dodge Challenger SRT 392
149 Posts
Yes, installed TCM support for my procharged 2016 5.7 r/t yesterday. For some reason my I2 locks up when I attempt to modify Full Throttle Revlimiter in Drive parameter?

Don’t adjust the rev limiter it’s been a problem for yrs no fix for it yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks, I agree with you but...
Why can the SRT guys raise their rev limits? Also I've talked tuners who say they can raise the rev limits on 5.7s . Are they lying?
In addition, my rev limits in manual are higher than drive. My tuner dynoed my 5.7 and bounced it off the rev limiter in 4th gear @ 6k rpms. My rev limit in drive is around 5700?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts