Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Diablosport vs HPTuners?

24K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  SickToo 
#1 ·
Which do y’all prefer? I’m tuning a 2017 Challenger R/T 5.7, so I’ll need the cracked ECM, too. I have zero tuning experience, so I’ll be using canned tunes for now. Eventually, I’ll probably be adding a cam and long tubes, so email tuning or something would be important.

Who has more/better features? Are they pretty similar?

#4 · (Edited)
What I found was that I quickly outgrew the capabilities of the diablo sport trinity (only lets you play with WOT settings and you can't set when WOT hits). I love the fact that you can standalone log with the trinity but HP tuners has way, way, way more tuning capability...it is night and day between the two.

Of the two, HP tuners has a much steeper learning curve but the more I read and used it the more comfortable I become using it.

BTW HP tuners just came out with a new interface which supports bluetooth (still no standalone logging though). Also the credit system on the new interface is universal so it can be used on Fo...Fo...Fords and cccccchhhevys (whew that was tough to type). Download their trial software and open some of the example tunes and you will see all the parameters you can adjust...it literally is mind blowing.

#5 ·
I’m still on the learning curve of Hp tuners after using diablo for years. It is definitely a steeper learning curve , but there are way more parameters if you want to get into tuning yourself. Like said above , the more you use it and read , the more comfortable you become. I like being able to make and feel my own adjustments.
They both need an unlocked pcm, not sure where he was going with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
Clicking yes/no in a little menu (Diablo canned tune) vs making your own adjustmens (Hptuners) is comparing Apple vs Oranges, and in this case, Hptuners is a lot more flexible, and will allow you to dial things out regardless of mods. There is really no comparison, lets put this way for easy reading, one is kiddy toy, the other a man tool, honestly. Even if you're going email tune route, Hptuners will allow you to see the changes in the tune, assuming your tuner doesn't tuner lock the calibration (some do, it's up to you to find ahead of time if your tuner is one of those)
the biggest con of Hptuners is the time it takes for you to understand what needs to change and why, there is a lot to read, lot to digest, and a lot to learn, learning requires self investigation and also help from the tuning community, which is one of the biggest assest for HPtuners.

If you thought you wanted a simple way to say you're tuned, you're not going to find that in the Hptuner user interface, Hptuners is a pro tuning suite, so it's assumed you know what you're doing, if you want the equivalent to that in Diablo, you need to buy Diablo CMR, which is also not a yes/no handheld thingy. So there is niche for each application. if you wanted to slap a CAI and say you're tuned, then perhaps the handheld might suite your needs.

Hope it helps.

Reactions: HPTuners
#17 ·
Agree, much simpler to tune a GM using a traditional thought process. I kept trying to work with AFR and FAR made no sense until the light bulb dimly started to glow and I realized Lamda was the key. Still a lot of spreadsheet work and math but after a while the patterns start to develop, and it begins to make sense.

Chally probably already knows this but I'll throw it out there anyway. The new MPIV3 can do standalone logging.

You already know I went to the dark side and bought the Trinity 2EX Platinum. I'm back. The T2 is on a shelf somewhere. Funny I don't actually remember where it landed.

#18 ·
Chally probably already knows this but I'll throw it out there anyway. The new MPIV3 can do standalone logging.
It can but from what I heard the processor in it is not fast enough to log very many PIDs at one time

, much simpler to tune a GM using a traditional thought proc
VVT using exhaust center line numbers instead of intake is what wrecks most chevy guys. That, and the fact that you can’t just throw some injectors in it and play with the data and make it right