Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe my tie-rods are bad, both inner and outer on each side. The clip below shows what I did to confirm that hypothesis.

Anyone disagree with my diagnosis?

·
Super Moderator
15,557 Posts
they're worn out, done

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they're worn out, done
Yep, and I’ve got the replacement parts now ready to go on, but the counter jockey at O’Reilly Auto said they don’t install those free of charge like they do when you buy batteries and windshield wipers.

I expressed my displeasure at him for going back on his word and smote him with my mechanics gloves. He seemed surprised that I refused to take guff and slapped him across the face like that, so now I’m on the run from the cops, and the worst part is I’m driving Mrs Nuke’s Acura.

So every time I shift gears, my knee hits the window switch and rolls it down on me, thereby letting out all the cold air I just stockpiled in there with the struggling a/c.

I knew this steering stuff was going to turn into a crap-show, it always does!

I still blame that counter jockey. If he would have just installed my parts like I asked him to, I would be spending the night tonight sleeping in my own bed. But NOOOOO, he had to get all righteous and indignant and call the cops on me.

Now I get to sleep on a cell floor and spend my car-fixing money on bail tomorrow!!

Reactions: GSBrockman

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whelp, the popping noises have disappeared! 🥳

Unfortunately I now have a constant grinding noise whenever the vehicle is in motion. 😞

I feel like it’s possible the sudden appearance of this grinding is somehow related to the work I just completed on the steering. So back up on jack stands the car goes, and back under it I go to find and fix yet another noise that isn’t supposed to be there.

<cue the sad music that played at the end of every Incredible Hulk episode as Bruce Banner walked off into the distance>

:cry:

·
Super Moderator
15,557 Posts
do the new tie rods have Zerk fittings for lubing them (some aftermarket one do).

I have to replace a tie rod end (OEM one was sealed) the replacement had a Zerk. I noticed not that long after the replacement was installed that I'd hear a groan sound.

turned out the new part needed greasing

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, but the noise was from the dust shield on the back of the hub. The rotor was rubbing against it as it turned.

Not sure why I didn’t hear that when I first set out on my test drive, but it’s fixed now.

Now to find some good curvy roads around here to really put these new parts to the test!

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,565 Posts
And the never ending saga of the fried Bacon Hauler continues, but it doesn't matter one whit as long as the wheel wells are kept spotless...

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And the never ending saga of the fried Bacon Hauler continues, but it doesn't matter one whit as long as the wheel wells are kept spotless...
FINALLY, someone gets it!

Honestly though, there have been some late breaking developments in this saga which could have far reaching effects on all involved...

booooahahahaha!

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
FINALLY, someone gets it!

Honestly though, there have been some late breaking developments in this saga which could have far reaching effects on all involved...

booooahahahaha!
I will remain tuned in, and discontinue my satellite subscription to ensure it doesn't interfere, well, at least until baseball resumes play...

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will remain tuned in, and discontinue my satellite subscription to ensure it doesn't interfere, well, at least until baseball resumes play...
I can’t say anything for sure right now, as decisions still have to be made. Offers were floated out, favors were called in, things are in motion...what am I going to decide is the ultimate question - yes or no?

I don’t know yet...either option has its pluses and minuses...it’s just a matter of what’s best for me and the Mrs. going forward...

I don’t know...I just don’t know...

I realize all this is very vague, so I’ll leave you with this hint

okay, 2 hints...or 1 hint and the same hint again with more hint to it:

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I can’t say anything for sure right now, as decisions still have to be made. Offers were floated out, favors were called in, things are in motion...what am I going to decide is the ultimate question - yes or no?

I don’t know yet...either option has its pluses and minuses...it’s just a matter of what’s best for me and the Mrs. going forward...

I don’t know...I just don’t know...

I realize all this is very vague, so I’ll leave you with this hint

View attachment 994629

okay, 2 hints...or 1 hint and the same hint again with more hint to it:

View attachment 994630
Hint; your hints don't hint at Challengers...

Reactions: GSBrockman

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hint; your hints don't hint at Challengers...
That’s because my hints are born of reality...and the reality of this situation is that Pursuit Charger in the background has something I find particularly attractive in a prospective car which no Challenger I’ve looked at thus far has had - a price tag I can afford to pay in cash rather than finance a loan to pay.

Reactions: Gila Hemi

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,777 Posts
Will you be able to paint the doors and hood white?

Don't forget to swap the rear spoiler if you buy it

A Guy

Reactions: Gila Hemi
1 - 13 of 13 Posts