Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 GT with the latest Uconnect (no nav).

Are we supposed to be able to dictate a new text message? I went the the phone setup (Samsung Galaxy Note 8) and all my settings seem right. I can get texts and it will read them, but I only have the option to replay with a predefined message. There's even a button that says something like "reply with voice recognition" but that just asks me which predefined message to send.

I've tried getting through to Uconnect Care but always put into a terminal holding pattern.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Sorry, predefined messages are all you have.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sorry, predefined messages are all you have.
The manual says it does. The website says it does. Finally spoke with a human at Uconnect care, they are saying you have to sign up for the paid service for it to work. I have a year free trial, but I refuse to let them track me, track my habits, track what color my poo was, and a bunch of other stuff that they then retain the right to distribute to anyone. :smiley35:

Apparently, the Uconnect service is managed by Sprint. They are mentioned several times in the TOS https://www.driveuconnect.com/terms-and-conditions.html

·
Registered
463 Posts
Must be different on the Canadian cars. I see nothing other than predefined messages in my manual and I have the ucconnect app on my phone. I see nothing there either.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Must be different on the Canadian cars. I see nothing other than predefined messages in my manual and I have the ucconnect app on my phone. I see nothing there either.
IDK is it's different for Canadian models, but I found a video on about it - posted by Uconnect. At the very end, it says you must have the Uconnect Access subscription. They must be really desperate for money.

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
I took another look at my owners manual and I think that function is part of Android Auto. I think you have to use the VR function in Android Auto for it to work. I am not a big text guy, so I don't use that stuff in my car. They don't explain those things very well either imo.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I took another look at my owners manual and I think that function is part of Android Auto. I think you have to use the VR function in Android Auto for it to work. I am not a big text guy, so I don't use that stuff in my car. They don't explain those things very well either imo.
I use Android Auto now. It's a great alternative to the factory navigation that you have to buy, then pay $$$ for map updates.

WAZE is better than Google Maps because Waze shows you the speed limits and also gives you real-time user sourced notifications of cops, accidents, hazards, Etc.

Android auto will do the same stuff regarding text. It'll read a text and initiate a text but you can still only dictate using predefined messages. Apparently they have that locked out in attempt to force you into buying their subscription. Not happening.

The next thing I'm going to try to use my older phone with Waze but not allow the older phone to make calls or use for text messages. You can turn those things off. I will have to tether it to my new phone for internet access but T-Mobile is very generous with their hotspot tethering allowances. That way I can still use my new phone for texts and emails and calls.

I don't mind the text limitation on short hops around town where text can wait. It's mainly on the long road trips that it bothers me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Random (or whatever they call it) voice recognition takes a big dictionary and lots of processor power.
My google stuff will only work with 'data' on (some other processor and dictionary) so it seems reasonable for a car radio to only recognize some existing phrases.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Dictation

I have a 2018 GT with the latest Uconnect (no nav).

Are we supposed to be able to dictate a new text message? I went the the phone setup (Samsung Galaxy Note 8) and all my settings seem right. I can get texts and it will read them, but I only have the option to replay with a predefined message. There's even a button that says something like "reply with voice recognition" but that just asks me which predefined message to send.

I've tried getting through to Uconnect Care but always put into a terminal holding pattern.
Hey, do you live in Canada?? I dont know about the differences between NA US and NA CA cars but if you have the 8.4 that supports AA/Carplay you should be able to dictate texts using the AA/Carplay feature. I dont know how the AA works but these are the steps for Carplay 90% of the time.

1. text comes in, Access text through Carplay interface
2. Let Siri read the text and at the end she says you want to reply.
3. Say yes and dictate your message.
4. Let her get it all wrong and cancel/repeat 5-10 times depending on how generous you feel.
5. Cancel for good and tell her to call the sender.

9%

3. Say yes and dictate your message(make sure it is easy like "yes/no", "see you in a bit", "not now", any of the predefined ones work great).
4. After a pause she says "want to send it"
5. You say yes.(Never say "Yes Please")
6. She says "ok sent it"

The last 1%

3. Say no
4. She says "ok"

Dont even get me started on sending texts using dictation first. That goes like this:

1. Hold the VR button down for about 4 seconds until Siri says "how can I help you"
2. You say "send text to blah, blah, blah".
3. She says did you want to send a text to Mr R?
4. You say "no" to blah blah blah"
5 She says did you Mrs. Robinson"
6. Repeat steps 2-5 until your really fed up and say Cancel
7. Hold the VR button down for 4 seconds and say "call blah blah blah"
8. She says "ok Calling blah blah blah.

You should most definitely not need a subscription to uconnect if you have AA/Carplay as all the voice commands go through Google/Apple. Now if you only press the vr button and then let go you are using the cars vr options and not AA/Carplay. To access AA/Carplay vr you need to hold down the vr button until hey Google/Siri say its ok for you to talk(about 4-6 seconds).
Unfortunately though the above 3 scenarios have played out so many times in my car if they were recorded it would have been some funny stuff worthy of viral vids on utube.

Ron

·
Registered
397 Posts
I use Android Auto now. It's a great alternative to the factory navigation that you have to buy, then pay $$$ for map updates.

WAZE is better than Google Maps because Waze shows you the speed limits and also gives you real-time user sourced notifications of cops, accidents, hazards, Etc.

Android auto will do the same stuff regarding text. It'll read a text and initiate a text but you can still only dictate using predefined messages. Apparently they have that locked out in attempt to force you into buying their subscription. Not happening.

The next thing I'm going to try to use my older phone with Waze but not allow the older phone to make calls or use for text messages. You can turn those things off. I will have to tether it to my new phone for internet access but T-Mobile is very generous with their hotspot tethering allowances. That way I can still use my new phone for texts and emails and calls.

I don't mind the text limitation on short hops around town where text can wait. It's mainly on the long road trips that it bothers me.
Ok this is on page 87 of the 2017 uconnect with 8.4 users guide:

With Android Auto connected, press and hold the VR
button on the steering wheel to activate voice recognition
specific to the Android Auto. This will allow you to send
and reply to text messages, have incoming text messages
read out loud, and place and receive hands-free calls.

The press and hold the vr button is noted under everything you need to do with AA. The first note listed under AA Navigation also explains the subscription pic as only pressing and not holding is using the cars vr services and NOT AA. From page 84 of the 2017 8.4 users guide:

Push and hold the VR button on the steering wheel or tap
the microphone icon to ask Google to take you to a desired
destination by voice. You can also touch the Navigation
icon in Android Auto to access Google Maps.
NOTE: If the VR button is not held, and is only pushed, the
native Uconnect VR will prompt you and any navigation
command said will launch the native Uconnect navigation
system.

Not sure why they would change that for 2018. Also not sure if that is the same for CA models as 2017 CA models did not have AA/Carplay if the radio did not come with NAV, is what I was told by another member.

Edit: now that I watched the video. That video is all about the cars Bluetooth features. AA features totally different. I still dont believe you need a sub to use AA voice text reply. U just need to use AA, not build in car functions.

Ron

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll give the "press and hold" method a try. Just pressing and talking after the chime doesn't work in AA.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts