Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this sounds silly but I want to know I haven't seen anyone doing it
on top of the hood.

It doesn't have to be the same color or material but it has the same concept.

Is there some sort of other material that has some similarity that reflects sun ? and will it make any difference if this thing exist ?

I know people use it under the hood but haven't seen anyone using it on top.

·
Super Moderator
14,032 Posts
This is strange. What heat are you trying to reflect? Sunlight?

The real heat generated comes from the engine (i.e., under the hood).

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,339 Posts
but if there was similar material will it make any difference ? in cooling ?
If the engine is hot and you have a heat shield placed on top of the hood then it will take longer to cool the engine. What you want to promote is convective heat transfer. There is already a insulator placed on the inside of the hood which acts as a sound deadener and helps to prevent the hood from getting too hot from heat developed by the engine.

If you want to keep engine bay temps down when not in motion then run a fan. You can program the PCM to do this but the rad fans are not meant for continuous running and they will fail early.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the engine is hot and you have a heat shield placed on top of the hood then it will take longer to cool the engine. What you want to promote is convective heat transfer. There is already a insulator placed on the inside of the hood which acts as a sound deadener and helps to prevent the hood from getting too hot from heat developed by the engine.
oki as you mentioned heat extractors transfer heat outside , but lets say you dont cover those extractors only the Sourroundings ?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,339 Posts
oki as you mentioned heat extractors transfer heat outside , but lets say you dont cover those extractors only the Sourroundings ?
Pretty sure the incident radiation on the hood from the sun is not as significant as the heat generated by the engine under the hood.

Now if you want to talk about the cabin temperatures that is a different story as you have more surface area and glass. Cabin temps can reach +120F.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I know this sounds silly but I want to know I haven't seen anyone doing it
on top of the hood.

It doesn't have to be the same color or material but it has the same concept.

Is there some sort of other material that has some similarity that reflects sun ? and will it make any difference if this thing exist ?

I know people use it under the hood but haven't seen anyone using it on top.

View attachment 997568
No one does it for the reason you stated. It is silly.

Sorry, but heat from the "outside" getting into the engine compartment is not a problem.

But the heat inside the engine compartment could present a problem for the hood which is one reason why there is at least with some cars some kind of "insulation" under the the hood.

Besides I can't think of anything that one could use on the outside of the hood that would not have the car looking like it was wrapped by a heating and A/C duct installer.

·
Registered
2009 B5 SRT8 M6
133 Posts
just take the hood off

Reactions: Dennis H

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,554 Posts
When you live in Kuwait, and the average high in July and August is 107° and average low is 84°, you think of such things ;)

A Guy

Reactions: ChallyTatum

·
Super Moderator
15,756 Posts
putting anything on the outside surface on the hood will not make any difference to the engine.

The engine and its operation generates the heat

Reactions: ChallyTatum
1 - 20 of 27 Posts