Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is one of those, there is no right answer questions but I can't help but think that Dodge got the naming of the models wrong for the Challenger.

I realize the SRT group applies to other vehicles (Jeep, 300, Caliber, Viper, neon, Ram, etc) but I think for the Challenger they should have stuck with the retro naming for all models. The top model should have the SRT 6.1 or 6.4 engine and components and such but I think it should be called an R/T SE. I don't know what that would make the current R/T, maybe stay as the R/T? And the SE could be called the Challenger Six?

I'm not overly familiar with the model designations of the 70s Challengers so perhaps somebody more knowledgeable could speak to it but I just feel with this retro looking car it should have kept the retro naming as well.

Anyway, just my 2 cents...what do you guys think?

·
Super Moderator
15,331 Posts
With the original 70s E-body:

SE was an add-on option to the Coupe body that got the smaller "formal" rear window, overhead console, vinyl top and leather seating surfaces (cloth/vinyl was a substitute option over leather - you could get this on the 6cyl, R/T and non-R/T V8 coupes

R/T was standard with the performance hood and a 383-4bbl B-engine. Optional was the 440-4bbl ('70 only) and 440-6bbl or 426 Hemi and the Rallye cluster IP along with heavy-duty suspension. [SE uplevel trim was available]

There was the Challenger Coupe which offered the A66 340-4bbl package or the other V8's [318-2bbl, 383-2bbl]. Later, with the '71 models, the 340-4bbl was offered as an R/T model option.

The convertible body style was offered in base trim (Slant 6, 318-2bbl, 383-2bbl, 383-4bbl)
and for '70 only the R/T convertible model offered (performance hood, 383-4bbl, 440-4bbl, 440-6bbl or 426 Hemi)

Today's iteration was a re-interpretation of the SE trim for the 6 cylinder versions...Dodge has been using the SE designation on other models over the past few years, again on the 6-cylinder models, with SXT appearing at times to denote the higher trim level + 6-cyl engines.

Example: Challenger SXT models in Canada only = SE G-package in US market, now to be SE Rallye for 2011 (leather/fog lamps/20" wheel option).

·
Super Moderator
13,847 Posts
Starting in 2008, I would have like to have seen all Challengers with 6.1 and, later, 5.7 engines called R/Ts- just like the 70s, when an R/T Challenger could have a 340, 383-4, 440-4, 440 Six-Pack, or a 426 Hemi.

They went with the SRT designation (Street and Racing Technology) for the cars with the 6.1s because that was the new performance brand that they developed, in 1989, to boost Chrysler's image as a maker of high performance vehicles, like the Viper and Prowler.

Dodge's Dan Knott said the concept of SRT was to develop "outrageous" cars, design to a high standard, be mindful of the economic bottom line, and to improve technology programs.

The SRT line even had a core vision, it was as follows:

"Deliver benchmark performance at an affordable price, and deliver it with absolute integrity and credibility. Every SRT vehicle showcases five key aspects:

1. Exterior styling that resonates with the brand image.
2. Race-inspired interiors.
3. World-class ride and handling.
4. Benchmark braking.
5. Standout powertrain".

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
I think the names are fine

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree with IDMTfirefighter, names are fine. I feel that since this is a new generation of Challenger/Charger/300, maybe it should have a new name to represent that. :scratchhead:

Side note: Hard to believe that all of the new Challengers (SE, RT, SRT8) are so much faster than many of the old muscle cars. Amazing the progress Chrysler has made. We should all consider ourselves fortunate to own these cars!

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
^^^^^^yepper

·
Registered
764 Posts
When the Challenger was first introduced in 2006
Assuming you're referring to the concept car. . . which was called an R/T. Or maybe you already knew that and that was your point.

*damn the concept car paint was shiny. And I miss the shiny carbon fiber of the grille area compared to the matte plastic on the production model.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No you guys are all wrong!! ;)

Looks like I may be the only one that felt this way. I guess I was thinking more about the mustang and camaro naming which resembles the 70s naming much closer.

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
I know these are retro cars but in order to attract new buyers, you need to have model naming that's not confusing to new buyers. SRT's are the top dog in Chrysler's portfolio at this point.

You wouldn't believe the uproar over the whole SS-Z/28 new hierarchy amongst the Camaro guys, but in terms of new buyers who either know nothing or only have a vague recollection of the past, they don't really care what had what name the models had decades ago.

So long as they know what's what now, that's all that matters.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
ok...:notallthere:
...:guiness:
...:scratchhead:
...I feel better now. I would have bought the HO SRT 6 spd even if they called it a Cruiser RSA/T SE...I mean...just look at it! LOL:) IOW...who cares???

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok...:notallthere:
...:guiness:
...:scratchhead:
...I feel better now. I would have bought the HO SRT 6 spd even if they called it a Cruiser RSA/T SE...I mean...just look at it! LOL:) IOW...who cares???
It's just a topic for discussion. Part of the allure of the Challenger is that its called a Challenger and this brings back a lot of nostalgia of the 70s muscle cars. Don't get me wrong, I bought an SRT because its awesome. I wouldn't have bought an R/T just because of the name. Like I said, just a topic for discussion.

Ford removed the "SVT" badging from the Mustang and brought back its original naming.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
It's just a topic for discussion. Part of the allure of the Challenger is that its called a Challenger and this brings back a lot of nostalgia of the 70s muscle cars. Don't get me wrong, I bought an SRT because its awesome. I wouldn't have bought an R/T just because of the name. Like I said, just a topic for discussion.

Ford removed the "SVT" badging from the Mustang and brought back its original naming.

I understand...no problem there, this topic no worse than some on this site. May I suggest you not worry so much about what Ford and Chevy are doing and just enjoy the best Retro muscle car out there, as I'm sure you are considering the Challenger model choice you made. Cheers!:)

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I understand...no problem there, this topic no worse than some on this site. May I suggest you not worry so much about what Ford and Chevy are doing and just enjoy the best Retro muscle car out there, as I'm sure you are considering the Challenger model choice you made. Cheers!:)
I don't mind worrying about it. Perhaps you could stop worrying about what I worry about.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts