Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from today being one of the worst days in recent history, I hit 8k miles on my super track pack R/T, and the clutch master cylinder pushrod snapped like a twig.

In the last few months, my clutch started doing some weird things. The pedal was sort of "sticking" on the floor slightly, which made for some interesting (read:jerky) takeoffs from stoplights. The other day, I swear I heard my throwout bearing wizzing away and grumbling, yesterday I smelled clutch smoke every so often during normal driving, and today the pushrod snapped.

Also in this time frame, reverse and 4th frequently grind at embarrassing moments.

Car is stone stock, except for a fenderwell intake (so no real warranty issues, unless youre talking to arrigo) and got dropped off tonight at 6 P.M.

since the master broke, and im assuming led to the clutch/possible tranny issues, and given the trouble ive already seen with the car (complete differential and axle replacement at 500 miles), and the fact that my clutch probably took a beating due to no fault of mine, is it unreasonable for me to push for a new clutch, throwout bearing, and tranny?

Also on a side note, the dealership I am getting serviced at is a former dodge dealership that lost its franchise rights during the fiat merger, and is now a chevy dealer. I was so frustrated with the idea that my car had had two major failures in 8k miles, and the other issues I mentioned, that I entertained the idea of getting a camaro. I test drove a silver loaded 6 speed 2SS.

I dont know if its the gearing, or what, and I recognize that this is going to sound outrageous, but based on my brief experience in the camaro, I wouldnt hesitate to line up my challenger against a camaro SS. I kid you not, my challenger feels a ton faster than the 2 SS. The 2 SS wasnt impressive at all, it felt like a pig, and the salesman even encouraged me to beat on it during the drive. I did a clutch dump, full throttle run through the first couple of gears, and I kept thinking the power was going to come on, and it just never did. Maybe I drove a dud?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
P.S. I wont be getting a Camaro, performance aside, the thing just feels crappy. The dodge is safe for now. I'm just frustrated :headbang:

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Don't know if the Monday or Friday thing is still relevant given the level of automation in the assembly of cars these days. I guess it's still possible.

Be interesting to hear how they handle the clutch issue under warranty, especially since they're not a Dodge dealer? How will that work?

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I would have brought it in when the pedal started sticking.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
For sure ask that the clutch and tranny be looked into.
The master cylinder piston could have caused "other" currently unseen/unfelt damages that will only pop up later.

A complete verification should be done as to be certain you dont end up hacking up major $$$$ for issues that were caused while under waranty.

Let us know how you make out.
JMHO

·
Banned
1,540 Posts
Yeah, it's frustrating when your car breaks, but it will be fixed. The Friday car is a myth, mine was built on a Friday and is mechanically sound.

Jack

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is this clutch master cylinder pushrod a common problem? i was inspecting it, and it seems like its made out of either a real brittle metal, or plastic. seems like a bad idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts