Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all new to the forum, bought a 2009 SRT8 a month back and finally got in the cat back exhaust system. I paid more for the X-pipe but when i took it out of the package and examined inside the tubes all the company did was cut an oval out of one pipe and placed the other pipe against it and welded it together. So there basically two straight pipes but isnt the air suppose to "cross-over" so there should be a hole where the pipes meet, correct?

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
My understanding of an X pipe is it should look something like this. According to Flowmaster the X pipe (or crossover pipe) equalizes the exhaust pulses and allows the sound waves to communicate between both banks of the engine. Typically an X or H pipe improves torque in the low to mid rpm range.

So, with all that said, yes the air/exhaust/sound waves should be allowed to pass from one pipe to the other.

·
Registered
382 Posts
So I would say yes to your question... someone in the company probably just got lazy and figured no one would catch it... Call them and tell them to send you a true x pipe at their expense... and if they want the other one back... they would have to pay the shipping.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
So, there's only one oval hole in one of the pipes? Not two ovals, but mating up to each other and then pipe welded together?

Dang, if that's the case, you're right, someone got lazy and owes you a fix.

Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea thats what I thought. Just emailed Zoomers (cuz thats where its from, be sure to check!) the problem and asked for another x-pipe with overnight delivery on them.

·
Registered
531 Posts
My Zoomers came with the same X design as Dodge uses, where one pipe does protrude slightly into the other. Some have complained this is not a true X because it is not an equal flow design. Zoomers uses it for the same reason dodge uses it...sound quality and lack of drone. The purpose of the design is the bends, not the cross flow. True straight pipes would not produce the sound you are enjoying.

Here's a link to thread about the Dodge and Zoomers x-pipes from some people who were not thrilled with the design. I will say that many do not share their view, but you may find the info interesting. Also, further into the thread, page 2 I think, Welding Rod posted pics of his Zoomers X-pipe which shows perfectly what I was trying to describe. Sad to see a perfectly good Zoomers pipe cut to pieces like that when it could be on the road making glorious sounds as it was designed and intended too, but Welding Rod had very strong feelings about it and thanks to his sacrifice we have some detailed images. Hope this helps you figure out what's up with your system.

Justforfun, this should give you some info too.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f175/false-x-pipe-58408/

Call Frank at Zoomers. he is a great guy and not a rip off artist. many happy Zoomer owners on the forum. I'd say, install them and drive it. you will NOT regret the purchase.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
My Zoomers came with the same X design as Dodge uses, where one pipe does protrude slightly into the other. Some have complained this is not a true X because it is not an equal flow design. Zoomers uses it for the same reason dodge uses it...sound quality and lack of drone. The purpose of the design is the bends, not the cross flow. True straight pipes would not produce the sound you are enjoying.

Here's a link to thread about the Dodge and Zoomers x-pipes from some people who were not thrilled with the design. I will say that many do not share their view, but you may find the info interesting. Also, further into the thread, page 2 I think, Welding Rod posted pics of his Zoomers X-pipe which shows perfectly what I was trying to describe. Sad to see a perfectly good Zoomers pipe cut to pieces like that when it could be on the road making glorious sounds as it was designed and intended too, but Welding Rod had very strong feelings about it and thanks to his sacrifice we have some detailed images. Hope this helps you figure out what's up with your system.

Justforfun, this should give you some info too.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f175/false-x-pipe-58408/

Call Frank at Zoomers. he is a great guy and not a rip off artist. many happy Zoomer owners on the forum. I'd say, install them and drive it. you will NOT regret the purchase.
Thingfish,

Thanks for the info and thread link. I actually reread that and remembered that I had read about this some time ago, but just forgot. I actually have had the Zoomers system on my 300C since 2005 and reallllly like them. Have had no issues at all really and they sound really nice.

I am not "too" hung up on this X-pipe controversy. As has been mentioned before, the stock DODGE X-pipe is the same way, and I have to believe the SRT engineers did so for a reason. This may or may not be a performance versus drone compromise, but I can live with it I think.

I think I will dyno my car before and after to see what kind of numbers I do see though. I would hate to see a drop in hp or torque after the fact.

JFF:D

·
Registered
531 Posts
Thingfish,

Thanks for the info and thread link. I actually reread that and remembered that I had read about this some time ago, but just forgot. I actually have had the Zoomers system on my 300C since 2005 and reallllly like them. Have had no issues at all really and they sound really nice.

I am not "too" hung up on this X-pipe controversy. As has been mentioned before, the stock DODGE X-pipe is the same way, and I have to believe the SRT engineers did so for a reason. This may or may not be a performance versus drone compromise, but I can live with it I think.

I think I will dyno my car before and after to see what kind of numbers I do see though. I would hate to see a drop in hp or torque after the fact.
I think they leave the "X" weld there for better support and rigidity. Otherwise the would need brackets, etc. As for performance...I'll be interested in your dyno result although they are tough to compare unless you do back to back same day. Supposed to increase torque a little, but nothing I've really noticed on the butt-dyno. On the plus side I'd say I've felt no decrease in performance, but a big increase in fun factor. You've had them before so you have an idea, but I think your going to like them even more on your Challenger.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Fact; you mess with the Zoomers crossover piece, and you bork the signature Zoomers sound.

You don't think Zoomers can easily make a true x-pipe design? C'mon think about it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Frank at Zoomers told me getting a open x-pipe will provide no difference in performance than having it closed. He did say that having a open x-pipe will only provide slightly more volume and a smoother equalized sound. Keeping it designed like stock will give a more rugged sound while hearing the cylinders firing at different times.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes i have been explained that Zoomers X-pipes are not open, so basically there straight pipes. But why charge an extra 200 bucks for it?? If u dont buy it would the standard exhaust system be the same thing? As for performance i dont see how it would help cuz isnt a crossover relieve the back pressure of the engine? Not that i care because ill take that sound over performance any day! HAHA

·
Registered
531 Posts
Rugged is the way to go imo. Sounds very meaty. People have even asked if I have a cam in it. Lots of personality in that sound. I'm sure any you've heard were closed. I think you'll be very happy once you fire them up.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Yes i have been explained that Zoomers X-pipes are not open, so basically there straight pipes. But why charge an extra 200 bucks for it?? If u dont buy it would the standard exhaust system be the same thing? As for performance i dont see how it would help cuz isnt a crossover relieve the back pressure of the engine? Not that i care because ill take that sound over performance any day! HAHA
The extra work in X pipe is the bends and welds plus material, that's why the cost, and I don't believe straight pipes sound the same. As for keeping the stock X, the problem is your Zoomers are a larger diameter than stock. For SRT it is 3" vs 2.75" or so. That bigger pipe is part of the improvement, if any, for the performance...and of course, the SOUND!! :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just got them installed yesterday and HOLY****! I love the sound and feel like an idiot for even questioning it haha amazing product thanks zoomers definitely worth the price! Now i just need my Typhoon CAI installed, and will that make it a deeper growl?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Just got them installed yesterday and HOLY****! I love the sound and feel like an idiot for even questioning it haha amazing product thanks zoomers definitely worth the price! Now i just need my Typhoon CAI installed, and will that make it a deeper growl?
Good news! Now - how about a video so we can all hear them? :D

Did you do any dyno tests before and after?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Congrats dude. As for doubts, we've all been there. That's why these threads help and this forum rocks. It's been months for me and I still can't stop smiling and can barely bring myself to turn on the radio. I just NEVER get tired of listening to these pipes! Enjoy!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No i didnt dyno but i do need to get an audio clip or video real soon. i wanted to lower it with the hotchkis tvs1 kit but with the zoomers i JUST clear the parking garage i park in for work. The third day with the zoomers i bottomed out on the exit :icon_evil:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.