Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the Diablo intune i3 platinum, changed out the pcm, downloaded all updates to the tuner, followed all directions to the T, and loaded canned tune. Went with the advanced tune which basically just let me entire tire size, change speed limiter (which I left at 185), and changed the fuel to 91 octane (which I run 93). Again, followed directions, took her out on the road —— and was NOT impressed. I do have a custom tune coming from Sean at Hemifever, but really thought I’d see/feel more out of the canned tune.
Should I have loaded the quick tune instead? Anyone else feel like they got less than expected? Did I perhaps do something wrong?

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,923 Posts
If you're using 93 octane fuel, why would you want to change the setting to 91? I'm not familiar with the Diablo tune, but I've always had custom dynotunes in the past that specified the octane. If your tune is supposed to be based on 93, I'm not sure if going to 91 cuts spark advance. I'd change it to be 93 octane.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you're using 93 octane fuel, why would you want to change the setting to 91? I'm not familiar with the Diablo tune, but I've always had custom dynotunes in the past that specified the octane. If your tune is supposed to be based on 93, I'm not sure if going to 91 cuts spark advance. I'd change it to be 93 octane.
Where I live, we only have 87, 89, or 93. I use premium, 93. I didn't see an option for 93 (unless I had to somehow change it manually). It just seemed to make sense to go with the highest available that I saw.
Maybe I did something wrong.....

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,923 Posts
Maybe the tune is set at 93 and you modified it? I'm not sure, but you may want to ask someone at Diablosport to see what's up with the tune.

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,989 Posts
Got the Diablo intune i3 platinum, changed out the pcm, downloaded all updates to the tuner, followed all directions to the T, and loaded canned tune. Went with the advanced tune which basically just let me entire tire size, change speed limiter (which I left at 185), and changed the fuel to 91 octane (which I run 93). Again, followed directions, took her out on the road —— and was NOT impressed. I do have a custom tune coming from Sean at Hemifever, but really thought I’d see/feel more out of the canned tune.
Should I have loaded the quick tune instead? Anyone else feel like they got less than expected? Did I perhaps do something wrong?
What are you driving and the year? Older Diablo programmers come with 91 and 93 octane tunes.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,579 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,579 Posts
6sp manual
Your stock tune was already configured for 91 octane, so the canned tune you loaded only modified things like torque management (reduced; nearly disabled) and such.

I am not familiar with the i3 tuner, what canned tunes does it list?

I’ve seen these on other DiabloSport tuners:
1) modify stock tune
2) 89 octane tune
3) 91 octane tune
4) Diablo tune

If you see one named Diablo or something similar, that’s the 93 octane canned tune. Load it, max out the Accelerator Boost option, enable the firmer transmission shifts option (if desired), and then go for a test drive....oh yeah, one more thing: be sure to report back your results :cool:

·
Premium Member
8,579 Posts
Your stock tune was already configured for 91 octane, so the canned tune you loaded only modified things like torque management (reduced; nearly disabled) and such.

I am not familiar with the i3 tuner, what canned tunes does it list?

I’ve seen these on other DiabloSport tuners:
1) modify stock tune
2) 89 octane tune
3) 91 octane tune
4) Diablo tune

If you see one named Diablo or something similar, that’s the 93 octane canned tune. Load it, max out the Accelerator Boost option, enable the firmer transmission shifts option (if desired), and then go for a test drive....oh yeah, one more thing: be sure to report back your results :cool:
Accelerator Boost?? What the heck are you talking about?

I think you mean Throttle Boost.

Pffft, moron...?

Reactions: Infidelgunner

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,053 Posts
You're being a bit hard on him :)

A Guy

·
Premium Member
8,579 Posts
You're being a bit hard on him :)

A Guy
Eh, he’s a world-class dullard who’s mama dresses him funny.

Besides, I thought we all agreed last night at the anti-Nuke meeting that we were going to run him off from the site?

IDK, maybe that was a different meeting, there are so many anti-Nuke meetings, I can get them mixed up sometimes...

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
909 Posts
The Diablo canned tune made little of any improvement in the performance of my Scat Pack. I think you will be more impressed with the tunes from Sean.

Reactions: raceheart77

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
X2 What Rob446 said. The canned Diablo tunes were horrible. Sean sent me the his 93 tune and the car is like a 70's hot rod. I did a write up on this forum.

·
Premium Member
8,579 Posts
As others have pointed out, a custom tune will wake the car up more than any of the canned tunes can do. But I would like to point out the handheld tuner has more to offer than just as a device to make changes to the car’s tune. It is my humble opinion that the handheld tuner offers just as much value to the user as a Datalogging device as it does a tune modification utility.

Making changes to how the engine runs is one thing, but actually knowing HOW the engine is responding to any individual tune (including just the stock one) is an irreplaceable tool for anyone who likes to mod for performance.

Having a log file with the actual data output from the car’s computer has the ability to impart information that could never have been known, and only guessed at, without it. And the handheld tuner can generate that log for its user. That, in my opinion, makes these tuners worth their weight in gold, figuratively speaking of course.

Nuke

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the responses. One difference I do note is the RPMs are slow to drop when depressing the clutch. It does seem to have more pep when I put it in sport mode. I sent Sean the files he requested from the tuner box, so hopefully I’ll get the customized tunes soon.
BTW, I found out the hard way to have your vehicle unlocked and leave the trunk open once you disconnect the battery to put in the new PCM, lol....

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
909 Posts
Making changes to how the engine runs is one thing, but actually knowing HOW the engine is responding to any individual tune (including just the stock one) is an irreplaceable tool for anyone who likes to mod for performance.

Having a log file with the actual data output from the car’s computer has the ability to impart information that could never have been known, and only guessed at, without it. And the handheld tuner can generate that log for its user. That, in my opinion, makes these tuners worth their weight in gold, figuratively speaking of course.

Nuke
This is really good advice, and here is why.
I data log almost every run at the drag strip. While I'm not yet savvy enough to understand some of the data I watch KR and factors that can affect it. I noticed on every run the RPM curve went flat for a small fraction of a second about 1/4 second after launch. Since I couldn't feel or hear anything that sounded like the car was laying down we surmised it was a data logging anomaly. I showed my wife a video of one of my runs and she commented that it appeared the front of the car lifted at launch then lowered a little then lifted again. I dug into the data logs and found that injector pulse width took a big dive coincident with the RPM flat spot. A couple other PIDs had erratic changes as well. I sent the logs to Sean, he determined that traction control was not fully shutting off and sent me another race tune with traction control turned off. Have not seen the RPM flat spot or Injector pulse with decrease since. 60' times are noticeably better at all weather and track conditions. I don't think we would have ever found this issue without data logs.

So log data and review the logs even if your not sure what your looking at. I guarantee you will learn something.

Reactions: Nuke

·
Premium Member
8,579 Posts
I don’t get to the track much, but I still find plenty of opportunities to do some data logging of WOT driving.

Case in point: spot checking for crummy gas.

I know from prior data logging that Kroger gas isn’t very good, but I still spot check it sometimes when I’ve amassed enough Rewards points to get 93 octane for $2.00 a gallon or so.

And sure enough, it never fails to disappoint me all over again:

T1000a.JPG

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
909 Posts
If I'm reading the data log correctly that's 1 degree of KR at 2500 RPM, not so good. Anyway, great tip on a creative way to use data logging.

·
Premium Member
8,579 Posts
If I'm reading the data log correctly that's 1 degree of KR at 2500 RPM, not so good. Anyway, great tip on a creative way to use data logging.
There are four STKR spikes that would seemingly need my attention, but upon closer inspection I can see that the 1st spike (0.5 degrees) and the 4th spike (3 degrees) occur during transmission gear shifts, and so they are disregarded (nothing can/should be done to mitigate them).

The 2nd spike (0.5 degrees) and the 3rd spike (1.5 degrees) occur in the middle of 2nd gear and should not be there, and as such, those two would need my attention (and possibly a WOT Fuel parameter modification) if I were doing something more significant like making runs at the track.

When I do attempt to go after a spike of STKR, I will slowly check the relevant PIDs (IAT, Ambient Temp, F/A, ECT, etc.) of the datalog that will reveal more clues about why the spike might be present, and then I can decide upon the approach to get rid of them.

Depending upon the amount of KR I see in a string of logs, it can take me several hours to get them cut down as much as possible. But Incan think of no better way to spend a few hours than making WOT runs in my car, checking the logs, adjusting the tune, and trying it all again. ?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts