Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i know i read here that if the battery is disconnected, you could supply power under the hood to pop the trunk.... Sooo. I took out my battery yesterday to replace it... it was raining, so i closed the trunk... today i supply power to the front, and... Nothing... remote doesn't work, button on the dash doesn't work, and trunk pop on the rear doesn't either. I can't crawl through the back because i have a sub box. What options do i have at this point?

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
How are you supplying power to the battery posts under the hood? It might take more than a couple of Amps from a power supply.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jump box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Any luck? I'm guessing in through the back seat.....

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any luck? I'm guessing in through the back seat.....

Can't go through back seat. Sub box in the way.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Most jump boxes are garbage, I've seen so many that either didn't put out the proper voltage or dropped to far when the amperage draw was applied. Try hooking up jumper cables under the hood to another vehicle or a known good/charged car battery instead.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
647 Posts
Does the sub box block the entire opening?

Is there room to slide a grabber through to pull the emergency trunk release?

Next question is just out of curiosity .... If the battery is out, are you left with an open circuit that would stop you from starting the car?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
I have used a little 12v battery from my kids power wheels and never had any issues...Justintime2 eluded to...check your jump box or try a different ground location. I have jumpered my car without a battery in the trunk many times with no issues.

This may be a dumb question, but did you have your keys on you when you tried opening the trunk?

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
hook the new battery to the jump posts with jumper cables.

Fold down the back seat and remove the sub box. If that doesn't work, use a sawzall

·
Registered
15,055 Posts
Under hood with jumper cables from a good 12V source has to work, that's the point of them being there, you'll get it.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll be trying the jumper cables from the Durango tomorrow. Got busy with other crap today... :(

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Results are in... Failure... Hooked new battery up to jumper cables, and when that failed hooked up the Durango... Do i have any other options before potentially having to destroy my speaker box?

Of note, No power to the cabin, but i have underhood lighting that runs off that fuse block in the engine bay, that works when power is supplied... And I always have my key fob with me when i am doing this stuff. :)

·
Registered
528 Posts
Try pulling the panel where the trunk button is mounted and put twelve volts directly to the push button. Not sure if it will feed the latch mechanism in the trunk, but it's worth a try.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
That is strange that hooking up a battery to the power terminals under the hood doesn't work. The jump pack I understand as mine won't put out any amps unless it is hooked up to a weak battery as it checks that the cables are hooked to the right terminals by checking the current flow of the battery with out a battery in the car it would not work. would not hook the trunk button wires to a battery you would probably fry the computer the Canbus system I believe only runs on a 5 volt current. Maybe try to start the car with a battery hooked up under the hood then use the dash button while the car is running.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is strange that hooking up a battery to the power terminals under the hood doesn't work. The jump pack I understand as mine won't put out any amps unless it is hooked up to a weak battery as it checks that the cobles are hooked to the right terminals by checking the current flow of the battery with out a battery in the car it would not work. would not hook the trunk button wires to a battery you would probably fry the computer the Canbus system I believe only runs on a 5 volt current. Maybe try to start the car with a battery hooked up under the hood then use the dash button while the car is running.

No power to the cabin. Can't even attempt to start.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Try moving the ground and or power jumper cables to other ground and hot positive points it sounds like the power is not getting through to the cars electoral system.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Is there any space above your sub box, after you lower the back seats, to fish something over the top of the sub box and grab the release?

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
If you have or know someone with a small kid, if they can squeeze past the speaker box, they can pull the glow in the dark trunk release in the trunk, or you could try it with a coat hanger, maybe before you cut your box up.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts