Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Quick background: I switched back to stock 18's I picked up for very cheap. Painted them and stuck some Nitto 555s on them. It looks great.

My dad has access to a tire machine so he stripped the old rubber from my 20" chrome clads. My intent was to clean them up and sell them. When he gave the wheels back to me, they were a little dirty but not terribly so. The wheels sat in my basement a few months. I decided to get them nice and clean this weekend so I could take pics but no amount of soap/Windex/elbow grease seems to get these wheels clean.

TLDR: The wheel looks like it has permanent water spots all over. I can rub and rub with Windex and a towel to no avail. I'm hesitant to try a more harsh cleaner since its just plastic.

Does anyone have any ideas? Maybe a clay bar might help? Any other cleaner suggestions? I'm hoping that by being lazy and not cleaning them straight away I didn't ruin them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Clay bar would be ur safest bet. Definitely nothing abrasive.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Get some wheel acid cleaner from wally world, spray on and rinse off. Safe on the chrome clads but not the polished aluminum.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'm using Turtle wax "bug & tar" remover on my clads...just don't let let it dry on em..use a clean micro-fiber towel to remove cleaner..

·
Registered
281 Posts
I used Mothers Chrome polish after the rough winter we had and they came out looking like mirrors. I've used this stuff for years with great results. Just make sure your wheels are as clean as possible first and then gently polish them per directions and I think you will be fine. It may take some time so be patient. Good Luck

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I'll give some of these a shot and if I can remember I'll do before and after photos.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts