Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah, that's gone. :[[ Sad times, out here. Because with that, that engine definitely got pushed back into the back of the firewall and maybe ruined the block itself so. Totaled in my opinion, time for another project I would say?

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,170 Posts
Well you lived up to your screen name. She is totaled. Glad you are not!!

Reactions: DGatzby

·
Premium Member
2015 RT, Scat Pack.......Shakerrrrrr
143 Posts
My condolences as well as glad you're alive to tell us about it. Collect the insurance check and find a motivated seller.

How did it feel in the seat when this tragedy took place? Can only imagine a less hefty car would've been painful to the body.

Pssst.......consider changing your screen name.

Best regards.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I guess my name finally has come true. I sit properly in a car so the airbag hit me dead center on my sternum. It didn't hurt at first but a few hours later it got achy. A couple of ibuprofen and I am ok. I was shocked at how well this car saved me. Cut the pole in half and I kept going. The airbags deployed and deflated fast enough that I was able to miss a fire hydrant right after the pole. Luck or reaction? No idea. In this pic you can see the new pole, the hydrant, and my tracks going off to the right after the hydrant. Airbags are speed in and out.

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
433 Posts
Sorry to hear @Freakaccident. I've heard it's best to drive right into the animal than to swerve.

Reactions: Buffchief52

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh and the feeling. It happened in 2 seconds. Oh NO DEER! boom! swerve stop. I opened the door immediately, took off my seat belt, and fell out into the mud, hacking for air. Then I realized the car was dead. It was pitch black out. I needed my phone. So I started feeling around in the car where my phone should have been but it wasn't there. I was still disoriented so I stumbled towards the road. Someone stopped and called 911 and then let me use their phone to call my phone so I could find it in the car. I called 911 and they said people were on their way. I turned back to the road and the police pulled up and questioned me. Asked if I had been drinking. No, I was on my way to work early. I was still dazed so the cops took me to an ambulance where they sat me down and checked vitals for ten minutes or so. I called my ex and she picked me up at the scene and took me home.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's what they say and that's what I had always intended to do if put in the situation but I reacted differently

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
That's what they say and that's what I had always intended to do if put in the situation but I reacted differently
Yep, you have to condition your self to react different. I am still practicing at it, but I have it down pretty good, if someone runs a red light or a stop sign, instead of slamming on the brake and panicking, I apply the throttle and aim right for them, I could use some extra insurance money. ;)

·
Registered
14,389 Posts
Sorry it happened and I bet it is tough to react, but I have it ingrained in my head that I'm not swerving much if at all, especially on a crap road like that. Most of the skid marks you see going off the road and into the trees on interstates is from drivers swerving to miss a deer, just almost always a bad idea.

Plus if you don't hit the deer, then the cops and insurance might not believe your deer story. Sort of like somebody ran me off the road and kept going, better to take them and the deer with you.

And on the insurance side, not sure where this falls. If you actually hit the deer then that would be comprehensive since the animal is considered to be unavoidable, but if you swerve and miss him but hit something else, we'll that might be collision since that could be considered your fault. Hope it all works out and glad no one was hurt.

And that road is nuts with those poles that close, like these clowns that build brick mailboxes 6 inches from the road putting everyone at risk, how in the hell is that legal?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,761 Posts
Well, glad you survived the hit, and at least you do have insurance, let them worry about it. Just get some good examples of what it would cost to replace it. If they offer you x amount of money, you should be able to buy a replacement for that much (minus any deductible).
We have some back roads around here where the pavement actually goes around the pole! ANd I don't think they have painted lines either.

·
Registered
2018 Pitch Black SXT
1,788 Posts
So glad to hear you are ok. That had to be quite an ordeal. From the looks of it you might have been better off hitting the deer. That is the worst place to put utility poles. They might as well put them in the middle of the road. Some roads around me have deep ditches right along the road and no lights. To avoid a deer on those roads doesn't end up well either. Hope your insurance works out good for you.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Unfortunately, in most cases, there is no time to react to incidents like that and it causes one to reflect and think, what if. Been there. Looks like talking to dealers is in your future, hang in there...

HOT ROD ON

1 - 20 of 64 Posts