Dodge Challenger Forum banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,414 Posts
That first pic hurt just looking at it; be glad you're ok and in my opinion as far as swerving, I would have done the same thing. Anyone on here saying they would hit the deer instead of trying to avoid it must hate there car and be looking for an excuse to get out of it. We swerve to avoid and accident, if you don't swerve you are 100% guaranteed to have an accident and damage your car. If you swerve you have a 70% chance of avoiding everything altogether.
I am 62 years old and when I was 16 and in high school my classmates uncle was killed swerving for a cat. She brought that up in drivers education class and the instructor said stand on the brakes, do NOT swerve and hit the animal if you aren’t able to slow or stop and let it get by. That has stayed with me for 46 years now, I have hit a large deer and a couple of cats over the years, I enjoy my vehicles but enjoy living and good health more. That was a major thing I taught my kids when they started driving, you will feel awful if you kill an animal but it’s more important for you to come home intact and I’ll be only too happy to buy you a new car.
There are Challengers for sale everywhere, why swerve to save it, odds are you’re going to lose control and possibly kill someone else over an animal.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,753 Posts
It's just a normal reaction to swerve. Heck, most will flinch if a leaf hits the windshield in front of them

A Guy

·
Premium Member
9,414 Posts
You’re correct it is a natural instinct but many times can be a fatal one. Take the motorcycle safety foundation course and they show how many times natural is wrong. Karate instruction also shows how many times you step into an opponent or situation rather than backing off is more beneficial.
Ever wonder how many less roadside memorials (near trees) might not be there it they had a different reaction to the situation before them? I used to be a volunteer EMT for a heavy rescue squad and we had three interstates run through the town I was living in, saw many wrecks, people drive like fools.
We need to be prepared rather than just react.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am 62 years old and when I was 16 and in high school my classmates uncle was killed swerving for a cat. She brought that up in drivers education class and the instructor said stand on the brakes, do NOT swerve and hit the animal if you aren’t able to slow or stop and let it get by. That has stayed with me for 46 years now, I have hit a large deer and a couple of cats over the years, I enjoy my vehicles but enjoy living and good health more. That was a major thing I taught my kids when they started driving, you will feel awful if you kill an animal but it’s more important for you to come home intact and I’ll be only too happy to buy you a new car.
There are Challengers for sale everywhere, why swerve to save it, odds are you’re going to lose control and possibly kill someone else over an animal.
Agree -

61 - 64 of 64 Posts