Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 339 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Almost as bad as seeing your kid having surgery...almost
heh... I remember, being ever-so-eager, following my '74 Plymouth Duster into the body shop (it had the traditional rust above the front wheelwells, a bit behind the rear wheelwells, etc.) to watch over the whole process.

When they started taking (what looked like) a small pickaxe to the body panels, I literally had to leave the shop as I was getting sick to my stomach watching the process. I didn't go back until after they'd welded in new steel.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
watch your paint close folks...so much for the supposed rust proofing process Dodge has in place...my car is regulary (weekly minimum) washed year round.
A few others in the 09/10 MY have reported rust bubbles in the same location

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Yep that would be disconcerting. I'm taking it that the rust started along where the wheel well liner meets the quarter/rocker. I wonder if any type of sealant would be useful from keeping water and salt from getting into the seam there.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
828 Posts
Wow, that sucks!!! Gonna have to give mine a good once over tonight after work.

Didn't someone on here get Dodge to eat the bill for fixing this problem.... I swear I read a thread about it and the guy played hell until finally they covered it under some kind of material warranty.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, that sucks!!! Gonna have to give mine a good once over tonight after work.

Didn't someone on here get Dodge to eat the bill for fixing this problem.... I swear I read a thread about it and the guy played hell until finally they covered it under some kind of material warranty.
this repair was covered under Dodge 5 year rust guarantee...came in just under

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haven't seen anything on my 2010 but that is a concern... how do ya notice it before it gets that bad?

shifty
started as a small rust bubble in the paint...if you can see it in the paint it's going to be a lot worse underneath

·
Registered
485 Posts
this repair was covered under Dodge 5 year rust guarantee...came in just under
That's a bit of a relief, but this should not have happened in the first place. I wonder if it was a quality control issue relative to the metal, or if it is a byproduct of water getting caught in that area.

How is the other side in the same area?

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
That's a bit of a relief, but this should not have happened in the first place. I wonder if it was a quality control issue relative to the metal, or if it is a byproduct of water getting caught in that area.

How is the other side in the same area?
Yes outer body panel rust and corrosion is covered for five years thankfully...I came in just under (4 yrs 11 months LOL). no other rust spots that I have noticed (knock on wood) :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
While it's there did they check the other side to see if something similar was happening on the backside of that panel? Hopefully it's not but if it was starting hopefully it could be worked on under the warranty.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
this is spendy.. and i have seen cheaper ones on flea bay ect but i wonder if something like this would work.. i have seen discussions about them but never accually talked to anyone that has one nor any experience with one.
US Store (USD), Rust Protection for Cars, RustStop.net

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Wow, get back from Ziebart annual inspection and touch up. Log onto CT and bam!

That's sickening Ray. Hope they get it all.

I would definitely look into getting the panel interiors fogged with some type of rust preventative measure. We live in the same climate and daily drive our baby's and I have yet to notice any signs of rust on or behind any panels. (fingers crossed)

Next fall I'm going to have Ziebart apply a fresh inner panel treatment for good measure.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
I respect those who drive their Challengers every day, however this is one of the reasons why mine gets driven only in dry conditions.

Broke my heart watching all those classic muscle cars rust away back in the day...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my 2009. My body man told me that when the factory installed the spray foam on the inside of the rear panels they covered the drain holes. The dirt and water had no place to go and rusted the fenders from the inside out. Both rears had to be repaired. Also, the insulation inside the rear fender cover was very wet. That did not get put back in and I do not notice any extra road noise.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
water I wouldn't worry about, SALTwater I would.

I do not drive my summer specials until many a spring rain has washed the salt from the roads to avoid the ever-invasive saltwater spray.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Wow, get back from Ziebart annual inspection and touch up. Log onto CT and bam!

That's sickening Ray. Hope they get it all.

I would definitely look into getting the panel interiors fogged with some type of rust preventative measure. We live in the same climate and daily drive our baby's and I have yet to notice any signs of rust on or behind any panels. (fingers crossed)

Next fall I'm going to have Ziebart apply a fresh inner panel treatment for good measure.
Don't look to Ziebart to stop it from happening. Mine was Ziebarted off the truck when new, and now has an almost identical spot as the OP on the pass side. Problem is my Delivery date was October 1, 2009, so I'm 3 months out of the corrosion warranty :frown:

1 - 20 of 339 Posts