Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will admit it was stupid. Coming home from a little shopping today about 25 miles from home, while coming to the last stop light before open road I see a bright yellow "batmobile" I call 'em, Camaro jumping lanes to get up to me. 45 mph zone known for law enforcement presence, I keep my cool to let him go by. When he gets behind me I see the SS badge and he jumps into it (auto) and goes by hauling ass. Not really that impressive it seemed to me as he holds it down and pulls away. Ok, I set the cruise on 80 and head home. Next he slows and lets me come up on him. Whatever. He probably wants to go at this point I know, so I just roll up beside him at 70 mph. Again he jumps all over it and dives in front of me which did not set well with me so I drop to 4th and hammer down. He's got four cars on me at this point and never pulls any farther until I let off at 140, knowing I'm going to be on the limiter anyway and I'm quite satisfied that my Challenger will run with it.

It's the fastest I've ever had the car and I am ashamed I let the testosterone get the better of me. Traffic was light but that's no excuse. My wife and youngest son were in the car, which makes me feel worse yet. Amazingly my wife was not really that mad, only saying, "You probably just scared the crap out of our son!" I asked if he was scared, "NO not at all!" I know, I know...... TAKE THAT $HIT TO THE TRACK! BUT damn it felt good!

We get back to our town and I signal to turn off, at which point he signals to make the same turn. When we get to the next light I pull up to him in the turn lane and ask;
"Which motor is it?"
"It's the BIG one!" he exclaims.
I tell him "Well it's good knowing this LITTLE Hemi can hang with it!"

"I hear ya!" he says as we part ways.

I promise to do my best to be good from now on!

·
Registered
9,272 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Did you have the radio on 7? I always use that for an excuse when my foot does that. It was the 70s music that makes me do it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Your title says it all, you would have been better off keeping this to yourself. Doing it alone is stupid, doing it with the family in the car is criminal. Calling it like I see it.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
140 in our cars is like 75 in others. Not really a good idea, but since no one died, no worries.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
Did you have the radio on 7? I always use that for an excuse when my foot does that. It was the 70s music that makes me do it.
That's the excuse I use... only channel 19 Boneyard.
It's hard not to lay the hammer down with Priest, Sabbath, Zep, AC/DC or Deep Purple blasting in the background. :headbang2:

·
Registered
585 Posts
obviously some have never dove off the shallow end, things seemed ok to the wife and boy so probably no eminent danger perceived, a one timer with them present, your boy will remember it forever, I do my dad did 100+ in our new 61 pontiac 389 awesome. nice story and don't worry, we all dunnit, sometimes things are just right. Whilst on a long road trip (3500mi) a Saleen? Mustang did the same sabre rattling on interstate in Missouri, the second pass at me when he punched it (auto ) I grabbed 4th @ 60, didn't really get sweet spot of rpm I was hopeing for but we hung proud a bit and I let off early, I really hate to beat a horse on a long haul, things break. All the traffic was behind us like they were waiting, nothing on the otherside. strange! I hated I grabbed the wrong gear, new car stupid 3rd woulda been it. may the force be with you be carefull :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Just call it a "moment of weakness" and leave it at that.
We have all done "Less than smart" things now and then.
Glad to read no one got hurt, except probably the other guys pride...LOL...

Be safe out there

·
Banned
165 Posts
Blame the wife and kid. If not for the extra weight you wouldhave dusted that dude.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I think you learned your lesson so no need to tell you how irresponsible your actions were.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,804 Posts
Well, when the day comes for your son to drive solo, you're going to have a tough time telling him not to follow your example. Another thing is, if a cop had nailed you, there would have been zero tolerance after seeing your wife and son in the car. I've heard that in some states, if you get caught going that fast, your car can be confiscated on the spot. I don't want to risk finding out the hard way whether it's true or not.:scratchhead:

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies. Even the guys reaffirming how STUPID it was. Believe me you won't beat me up any worse than I already have.

I have apologized to my family for what I did. My wife forgave me and I told my youngest son, who is in college, that he has gone very fast in a car now and can mark that off his list of things to do in the future.:werd:

·
Banned
197 Posts
Now stop beating yourself up. :kiss:

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
thats what these cars were made for. i took my 89 year old grandmom to 168mph she loved it was laughing the whole time and the wife was screaming her head off.

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
I drive much differently if I have either of my kids or my wife with me. These cars are made for speed but at that speed anything can happen. You did it, nothing happend, just learn from it and maybe next time let off under 100.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I do my showing off alone

·
Registered
206 Posts
Wow significant venom from a few SE owners.

·
Registered
410 Posts
You'll be ok. Yes, it was stupid, but you realize that. Part of life is learning from experience...good or bad.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Not sure about the rest, but I wouldn't beat yourself up too badly. People are taking these exact same cars in Germany and driving them at high speed. Not like your driving something that's not designed to do it?
Everyones done it in the past, present, and more than likely, in the future.
I'm in no position to condone it, but I've done it myself.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts