Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a ton of people have purchased the hood strut kit, just wondering how many removed the factory prop rod after installation? Realized yesterday that mine is still on, not sure if I should take it off or just leave it.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I removed mine as it is cheap looking. I did keep it shoould I ever want to put it back on.

Before

After

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
LOL, Leaving it on is like wearing belt and suspenders, take it OFF just takes a sharp 3/8" bit! Excuse to NEED later, what would SRTs do? We all laugh when we see both on, so that snickering ya hear at shows......;)

·
Registered
266 Posts
I took mine off with a drill. Touched up the hole. Removed all the stickers. To me the prop rod is a booger on a cup cake! I used my Mopar Bucks for the gas struts, I cannot fathom why Detroit insists using these cheap ass rods still on many models. Especially on a 35k car.

FYI,
Marion

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Took mine off. It was an eyesore in my otherwise very cool underhood look. Besides, if the struts start to get weak someday, it's no big deal to replace them. Like sick'r said, it's like wearing a belt and suspenders.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
left mine on...too lazy to worry about removing it
now where are my suspenders LOL

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I have it on don't plan on taking it off.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
I took mine off bent it in half and put it in the garbage. If I need to I will get a second set of hood struts, in case. I am never putting that piece of crap back on!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I left mine on, it isn't in the way, it fits the current paint scheme of yellow and black in the engine bay, and if the shocks start to fail, i have something to use while i order a replacement set. I haven't had anyone point at it and laugh at the shows i take it to.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
....left mine on. My car is black so it doesn't stand out as it might with others. .....and as a14unmbra mentioned, it may come in handy one day. ;)

·
Banned
368 Posts
Left it on...primarily due to laziness. Secondary thought was if screw something up with the drill, FF paint is hard to come by.

·
Registered
9,994 Posts
I left mine on, it isn't in the way, it fits the current paint scheme of yellow and black in the engine bay, and if the shocks start to fail, i have something to use while i order a replacement set. I haven't had anyone point at it and laugh at the shows i take it to.
Same here. I just installed my hood struts this last weekend, along with the Mopar strut tower brace.

Haven't had time to think if the hood prop is going to stay on or not, but the black/DY combo looks fine to me.

Maybe I'm lazy, maybe I just don't care, but for now it's not an issue on my "things to do list".

·
Registered
127 Posts
Carefully removed and stored. Was questioned once why I left it on. Decided it would look better without.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I never show my car, so at least it is there. If the struts are anything like the Sebring struts on my 01 and 02, I'll be using it in a few years. Or should I say my oil change man will be using it. :)

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Black car, it doesn't stand out, so left it on. Thought about taking it off, but to me it's not that big of a deal. When people are looking under the hood, they're looking at the HEMI and not my prop rod (unless of course they are other Challenger owners....with hood struts....that belong to Challengertalk.com....)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts