Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my 6-month old 2010 R/T 6-speed w/3.92's has a bad diff - shavings in the oil and excessive play in the pinion. Dodge says they are on backorder with no expected release date. Anyone know what's different (if anything) between my 2010 and a current production? It's being covered under my extended warranty - or at least it should be.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Old version was made by getrag. The new one has a NEW getrag or some sort of label on it. Different part number same did from what I can tell. I bought ins when I cracked my case and didn’t want to pay 400 more for the GETRAG names diff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,592 Posts
So, my 6-month old 2010 R/T 6-speed w/3.92's has a bad diff - shavings in the oil and excessive play in the pinion. Dodge says they are on backorder with no expected release date. Anyone know what's different (if anything) between my 2010 and a current production? It's being covered under my extended warranty - or at least it should be.
The Getrag diffs were used from '09 - '14. So they'll interchange among those years.

Its not a diff that will tolerate wheel hop - the unit is okaaaay if you take it gently...but they don't seem to live very long. Do a lot of hard launches and over time it will develop issues.

Often whining will be the first signs that the bearings are going bad - had this issue with my '09 R/T I used to have.

'15+ went to a stronger ZF diff.

Unfortunately this isn't a simple drop-in for the earlier years:
-different driveshaft coupler
-different half shafts
-different mount (4 point) requires '15+ IRS cradle

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Getrag diffs were used from '09 - '14. So they'll interchange among those years.

Its not a diff that will tolerate wheel hop - the unit is okaaaay if you take it gently...but they don't seem to live very long. Do a lot of hard launches and over time it will develop issues.

Often whining will be the first signs that the bearings are going bad - had this issue with my '09 R/T I used to have.

'15+ went to a stronger ZF diff.

Unfortunately this isn't a simple drop-in for the earlier years:
-different driveshaft coupler
-different half shafts
-different mount (4 point) requires '15+ IRS cradle
Thanks for the info Hal! I did some digging and found the previous part number is widely available - just waiting on the warranty company now. I do have a Hop Not kit installed now, but who knows how it was driven before...........

·
Super Moderator
15,592 Posts
Yeah, but don't think the +15 don't whine....they do.
You should hear what a Getrag sounds like when they go bad - imagine a worn out bearing in a washing machine on spin cycle. And make that even louder.

Mine whined so loudly at highway speeds, you couldn't hear exhaust (R/T - M6), or tire / road noise.
-all you hear was this stupid diff.

And yes, the ZFs seem to have some whine - mines pretty quiet, and you have a add a lot of friction modifier...more than you imagine.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
when my pinion bearing went out it was so loud i couldn't talk to anyone next to me.. my car is loud anyway.. long tubes no cats and magnaflow cat back.

lol

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,008 Posts
and you have a add a lot of friction modifier...more than you imagine.
And that would explain why my limited slip seems to barely work any more. I have a slight whine that I did not initially notice during the test drive. After a few wheel hops it seemed to get worse (dealer noted the noise but did not replace). I replaced the oil with royal purple which states it has modifier added. I then added the supercharger...which led to burn-out mania until I notice both tires no longer leave a mark. Drained the oil and it was blackish in color (SOB). This prompted me to purchase a new diff (a little over $700 shipped). I am waiting for the current one to grenade.

·
Super Moderator
15,592 Posts
And that would explain why my limited slip seems to barely work any more. I have a slight whine that I did not initially notice during the test drive. After a few wheel hops it seemed to get worse (dealer noted the noise but did not replace). I replaced the oil with royal purple which states it has modifier added. I then added the supercharger...which led to burn-out mania until I notice both tires no longer leave a mark. Drained the oil and it was blackish in color (SOB). This prompted me to purchase a new diff (a little over $700 shipped). I am waiting for the current one to grenade.
Sounds like you may have worn the clutches out in the LSD unit. From the description of the ring gear being welded to the carrier unit - it would appear that when the clutches are shot, you're replacing the center section. $700 isn't too bad - considering the Getrag was $1.8K for those units.

I had found that using gear lube that had friction modifier already included wasn't enough. If you drove in a circle and could hear the clutches (rub - rub - rub kind of sound) you needed to add more modifier until it stopped making that sound with the clutches (or maybe just a slight sound).

Too much modifier would make the clutches slip and not provided the LSD function.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,008 Posts
Sounds like you may have worn the clutches out in the LSD unit. From the description of the ring gear being welded to the carrier unit - it would appear that when the clutches are shot, you're replacing the center section. $700 isn't too bad - considering the Getrag was $1.8K for those units.

I had found that using gear lube that had friction modifier already included wasn't enough. If you drove in a circle and could hear the clutches (rub - rub - rub kind of sound) you needed to add more modifier until it stopped making that sound with the clutches (or maybe just a slight sound).

Too much modifier would make the clutches slip and not provided the LSD function.
I am replacing the entire diff, the 3.90 anti-spin are cheap. When I replaced the oil I did notice a muffled groan on turns and it should have clicked in my head that I need more friction modifier. Since I am supercharged I thought of running the 3.09 but HC guys created a high demand making it 2X the cost of a 3.90. I was praying for someone to offer a spool, making the rear posi, but after running a lunch box locker in the liberty I quickly changed my mind about that. Taking turns in the rain are bad enough and posi just makes it even more sketchy.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
You should hear what a Getrag sounds like when they go bad - imagine a worn out bearing in a washing machine on spin cycle. And make that even louder.

Mine whined so loudly at highway speeds, you couldn't hear exhaust (R/T - M6), or tire / road noise.
-all you hear was this stupid diff.

And yes, the ZFs seem to have some whine - mines pretty quiet, and you have a add a lot of friction modifier...more than you imagine.
You are on the money on friction modifier. I changed out the gear oil, went with mobil 75-90 it has additive in it but man it got loud when turning, kind of a grunting sound. Put a tube of additive in it, it's better but have not driven much but going on a 250 mile ride to pick up my boy at college, so we will see after that

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts