Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there a difference in the 6 Spd Stick Hemi engine and the 5 Spd Auto Trans hemi engine?

·
Super Moderator
15,441 Posts
Same compression ratio - the major difference is the 5.7 & 6.4 'auto engines have MDS which have different lifters (MDS cyls only) and there's cams for 'auto vs. 6-speed versions for the MDS function.

On the 5.7, the HP and torque ratings are a bit higher for the 6-speed (different exhaust and timing curves are more aggressive) than the 5.7/'auto.

On the 6.4 the power ratings are the same for both transmissions.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
On the 6.4 the power ratings are the same for both transmissions.
...even though the cams have different specs. The autos are MDS whereas the 6-speeds are not, just like with the 5.7.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The Wikipedia page for the Challenger includes the following line, which would seem to indicate that MDS has been added to manual transmissions as well, at least for the 5.7. But Wikipedia isn't an official source....

The 5.7-liter Hemi V8 was further updated for 2011 and also includes cylinder deactivation on manual models since.

·
Banned
1,079 Posts
The Wikipedia page for the Challenger includes the following line, which would seem to indicate that MDS has been added to manual transmissions as well, at least for the 5.7. But Wikipedia isn't an official source....
Yeah try no. Cylinder deactivation is on the Autos 2009-2014 5.7s.

But hey everything on the Internet is true..... I'm a French model... Bonjourn!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
Wikipedia should never be referenced in any serious conversation!

I could literally go on there right now and edit that information ... and I've done it before to mess with a friend in college who I knew would be looking somehting up for a report and always used wikipedia.

He didn't find it as amusing as I did.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
I agree 100% ... but it seems like a lot of people do love their Autos.

To each their own. I love having the chance to miss a gear and make myself look like a fool!

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
Is there a difference in the 6 Spd Stick Hemi engine and the 5 Spd Auto Trans hemi engine?
About half a second at the track :) lol

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
I don't have any experience on the track (I'd like to but haven't got out there yet) but is that true if you get a good launch with a 6-spd?

I can't imagine there would be a half second difference if someone really knows how to launch there car. I would think the auto would usually be faster do to people like me who tend to spin a bit to much on their launch in a 6-spd ... but if you could keep it planted and hit your shifts quickly I would think they would run about the same times!

I'm thinking a better statement would be: you have a much better chance at being a half second slower ... but not necessarily guaranteed to be a half second slower !

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
6 speed = more fun!

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
About half a second at the track :) lol
Not starting an "auto vs stick" fight but I've seen someone else post that figure and it doesn't seem to be correct, at least for professional drivers. I did some research on R/T driving reviews and the ones I read showed the 6 spd to be a tenth of a sec faster than the auto. For those that argue the auto is quicker they should also understand that a whole half of a second (.5 sec) is a large amount of time in the quarter mile and 0-60. That's the difference between 13.5 and 14 flat and that just isn't true for these cars given a driver that knows what they're doing. I will concede that the average driver can't drive a straight drive faster than an auto though...

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
The M6 transforms this car IMO.

There is no half second difference. Even if you were a little slower shifting, after a few weeks of driving the M6 you will get the hang of it.

The heavy clutch feels awesome under your foot, the pleasure of shifting those gears, and the joy of controlling all that power more than make up for any time difference.

Also, you will find you can effortlessly beat the HWY MPG figures with the M6; not so much with the A5.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I don't have any experience on the track (I'd like to but haven't got out there yet) but is that true if you get a good launch with a 6-spd?

I can't imagine there would be a half second difference if someone really knows how to launch there car. I would think the auto would usually be faster do to people like me who tend to spin a bit to much on their launch in a 6-spd ... but if you could keep it planted and hit your shifts quickly I would think they would run about the same times!

I'm thinking a better statement would be: you have a much better chance at being a half second slower ... but not necessarily guaranteed to be a half second slower !
You're exactly right. It's not .5 sec slower; in some cases it's faster actually.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
If you drive the 5.7 with a manual and then an automatic back to back you will feel the power difference. WIth the manual you can get so much more out of the engine.... and the exhaust system is different and the manual has a louder tone to it....

·
Registered
279 Posts
I love my 6.4 AUTO!! One of the best tranny's I've ever had. Very seldom does it seem like it's in the "wrong" gear. My only update would be to add rev matching on downshifts.

·
Registered
2010 Challenger SRT 6spd detonator yellow
502 Posts
auto-stick the 5.7 auto's then there is no MSD.....

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
1 - 20 of 52 Posts