Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that the R/T Plus has the Super Track Pak, and a high performance Bilstein suspension, but what does that actually include? Different shocks and springs? I know the STP gives extra pages and apps on the UConnect screen. How different is the feel in handling between the two of these? Regardless of which one I buy, I'm doing mods like lowering springs, front and rear strut tower braces, anti-wheel-hop kit, much wider tires, upgraded rear suspension, and subframe connectors.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a 2016 RT Plus. but does not have Super Track Pack

·
Super Moderator
15,391 Posts
Super Track Pack is optional on both R/T and R/T Plus trim levels.

The stock ride height with STP option is slightly lower than standard R/T suspension, plus you'll have the higher performance Bilstein shocks and the larger rear sway bar.

Ride is a bit firmer and there's less body roll due to the sway bars, firmer shocks and the firmer rate springs.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I had a 2016 and a 2017 R/T with STP and I now have a 2018 T/A with the new Handling Package. The Handling Package gives you even firmer suspension and the Brembo brake package used on the Scat Packs. Imo it is a better deal than the STP and I love the way the car handles and stops. I'm believe you can get the Handling Package on any 2018 R/T.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a 2016 and a 2017 R/T with STP and I now have a 2018 T/A with the new Handling Package. The Handling Package gives you even firmer suspension and the Brembo brake package used on the Scat Packs. Imo it is a better deal than the STP and I love the way the car handles and stops. I'm believe you can get the Handling Package on any 2018 R/T.
Would love the handling package, but I can't afford to buy new. I'm in the used market in the 22-26k range.

I guess I could always just upgrade the suspension in the regular R/T over time

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Would love the handling package, but I can't afford to buy new. I'm in the used market in the 22-26k range.

I guess I could always just upgrade the suspension in the regular R/T over time
IMO I personally didnt feel a different driving the stp or my RT+ . Your better off going with the cheap suspension and upgrading it. If you get the novamat? Suspension it will only make it more complex to upgrade in the future.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Spartan- I ordered my 2012 RT new with Super Track Pack. "RT Plus" does not concern suspension at all, it basically gets you a leather interior, at least in my 2012, unless that has changed. The leather seats for my year are more comfy than the cloth seats for long trips, plus power drivers seat which is more adjustable. I like them a lot.

The STP springs are stiffer than a stock RT, but not as stiff as SRT springs, also not as low. I just changed oil, and with the STP springs I can barely get the big 4 ton floor jack under the frame. I assume if I had SRT springs I wouldn't fit the floor jack, and I'd have to use drive up ramps or something to change oil.

I don't like a lowered car. When I took off the mud plate under the engine, I had some scrapes right around the bolts that hold it up.

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
My 2016 SRT uses the same front springs as a 2016 R/T with STP, checked the build sheets for both and spring codes are the same. They also appear to be the same height just looking at them.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
412 Posts
Info. I posted re. springs on STP RTs is for 2011-2014 Challengers. Don't know if the spring applications changed in 2015 onward.

Supposedly my 2012 R/T has improved front suspension over the 2008-2010 models, according to my friend with the first year 2006 Charger R/T, who was always breaking something or other in his front end.

·
Super Moderator
15,391 Posts
Info. I posted re. springs on STP RTs is for 2011-2014 Challengers. Don't know if the spring applications changed in 2015 onward.

Supposedly my 2012 R/T has improved front suspension over the 2008-2010 models, according to my friend with the first year 2006 Charger R/T, who was always breaking something or other in his front end.
The basic design is similar - the mounting points were reworked in the front suspension for more negative camber as well as rear suspension has negative camber as well. (early years were zero camber on rear)

The steering ratio is faster on the '11-'14 years compared to '08 - '10. The '15 R/Ts appear to use the Scat Pack spring (which is what the '11 SRT and '13/'14 SRT Core used as well).

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hal- I didn't know about the steering ratio for the 2011-2014 cars. Another reason the 2nd generation Challengers are vastly improved. I'm pretty happy with the steering and handling on my car.

"The stock ride height with STP option is slightly lower than standard R/T suspension, plus you'll have the higher performance Bilstein shocks and the larger rear sway bar.

Ride is a bit firmer and there's less body roll due to the sway bars, firmer shocks and the firmer rate springs."

I forgot about the body roll in the first generation Challenger R/Ts. When I was test driving cars in 2010-2011, I drove a base Challenger R/T and it was pretty boaty in the corners. That's why I ordered the Super Track Pack, but at the time I didn't know that the suspension had been improved all around on the 2011 and up models.

I have no complaints about the handling at all. Just wish the car had twenty more horsepower.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,576 Posts
Just wish the car had twenty more horsepower.
That feeling never goes away. I have a SC installed (my friends thing it plenty powerful) but I still wish it had a little more power...even the HC guys eventually say they wish they had more power. :grin2:

·
Super Moderator
15,391 Posts
Hal- I didn't know about the steering ratio for the 2011-2014 cars. Another reason the 2nd generation Challengers are vastly improved. I'm pretty happy with the steering and handling on my car.

"The stock ride height with STP option is slightly lower than standard R/T suspension, plus you'll have the higher performance Bilstein shocks and the larger rear sway bar.

Ride is a bit firmer and there's less body roll due to the sway bars, firmer shocks and the firmer rate springs."

I forgot about the body roll in the first generation Challenger R/Ts. When I was test driving cars in 2010-2011, I drove a base Challenger R/T and it was pretty boaty in the corners. That's why I ordered the Super Track Pack, but at the time I didn't know that the suspension had been improved all around on the 2011 and up models.

I have no complaints about the handling at all. Just wish the car had twenty more horsepower.
There were further tweaks to the '15+ steering ratio which made it faster.

I like the steering feel on my '16 SPS - especially with the user selectable assist. Its firmer and more responsive that the early years.

Just did the Tail of the Dragon with my local club today - that road is perfect for a 'stick (mine's an M6)...

·
Registered
412 Posts
"I like the steering feel on my '16 SPS - especially with the user selectable assist. Its firmer and more responsive that the early years."

What's SPS?

"Just did the Tail of the Dragon with my local club today - that road is perfect for a 'stick (mine's an M6)..."

What's Tail of the Dragon? Is that a road?

I knew I would go with an auto trans car for cruising on long trips and the good gas mileage, but the most fun car I drove when test driving in 2010-2011 was an R/T with 6-speed manual and STP. With the 3.92 rear diff. it was a totally different car to drive than my lame 3.06 rear diff., but I don't like fighting the steering wheel with one hand while shifting with the other on a heavy car. I prefer auto trans, although I can drive manual.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had a 2014 base R/T (without STP) and I thought it handled poorly. Lots of body roll and some understeer, and it sat fairly high with the OEM suspension (wide wheel gaps). I'm sure the factory 20" all-season Firehawks didn't help in the handling department, either. I traded that in for a 2015 Scat Pack which I thoroughly enjoyed for three years (lease), but just turned it in last fall for a 2018 5.7 R/T A8 with STP...I couldn't be happier. I can't tell the difference in ride height between the two...the wheel gaps seem the same to me. The ride on the new one with STP isn't quite as firm as the Scat Pack, but not far behind it. Great option for $695. It has the standard brakes which are adequate for a DD...and I don't miss the Brembo dust. The only thing that surprised me is that I can't get the ESC to go full-off...I thought that feature was included with all STP cars. Did the long-press and all of that (like on my Scat Pack), but won't fully disengage. Maybe it's because I only have the standard 7" screen and therefore no performance pages either. Not sure. But with the new actives and STP, the car suites me perfectly for a DD.

·
Super Moderator
15,391 Posts
"I like the steering feel on my '16 SPS - especially with the user selectable assist. Its firmer and more responsive that the early years."

What's SPS?

"Just did the Tail of the Dragon with my local club today - that road is perfect for a 'stick (mine's an M6)..."

What's Tail of the Dragon? Is that a road?

I knew I would go with an auto trans car for cruising on long trips and the good gas mileage, but the most fun car I drove when test driving in 2010-2011 was an R/T with 6-speed manual and STP. With the 3.92 rear diff. it was a totally different car to drive than my lame 3.06 rear diff., but I don't like fighting the steering wheel with one hand while shifting with the other on a heavy car. I prefer auto trans, although I can drive manual.
One of the acronyms that's been coming - Scat Pack Shaker

Tail of the Dragon - its the nickname for a stretch of road by Deal's Gap at the NC / TN border - 11mi stretch of road with 318 curves to it.

Well known in the sports car & motorcycle realm -

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus
49 Posts
R/T-Plus ride

The reason the R/T-Plus seems to ride differently than the R/T is that we Plus owners almost always have bosomy women riding in the passenger and rear seats which impacts the shocks a bit.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Ken- as far as I know the Sport mode button on my 2012 R/T turns the traction control off fully.

My friend who bought the first year Charger R/T (2005 or 2006?) and still drives it everyday, was very active on the LX forum, and I think he did some sort of techie thing with a wire and installed a button, but he could only get 80% off for his traction control.

The guy I bought some wheels from had a first gen 6.1L SRT which he had programmed, and he could not get it to spin wheels at the track, it kept shutting down even with the aftermarket tune.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I was not aware of any differences aside from options and leather seats. STP lowers the car a half an inch or so and adds some other performance enhancements.

·
Super Moderator
15,391 Posts
I was not aware of any differences aside from options and leather seats. STP lowers the car a half an inch or so and adds some other performance enhancements.
STP option on R/T models also added the full-Off function for ESP like the SRT models have./

1 - 20 of 25 Posts