Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Hellcat
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is my comparison to my 6.4 from my 5.7. First off I have absolutely nothing bad to say about my 5.7 Shaker it was
a Great car to cruise around town, make a little noise, spin some tires, go 0 to 100 getting on the interstate and having some fun Running against other RT's and V6 whatever's.

If you seriously want to Track Race and line up against 5.0s, SS's and the like, it was a drivers race and was real close every time with my 5.7, and I had the Scat Pack Stage 1 upgrade. Other Stock 5.7s were getting beat by the SSs and the 5.0s at the track. Modded SS's and 5.0 GTs and up, kicked my butt in my modded 5.7.
The times I am running now in my 6.4, make them no problem.
Other 6.4s with Tuner Mods at the track are beating me by .4 (half a second). Not going to get a tune, warranty too important.

Here is the noticeable difference in my 2015 RT Plus Shaker and my 2016 Scat Pack Shaker

6.4 idles rougher than 5.7, more aggressively.
Shaker Hood Scoop moves noticeably more with the 6.4
Stock 6.4 active exhaust sounds better than my 5.7 MOPAR cat back did and needs no improvement. WOT sounds awesome.
6.4 makes more catch can oil than the 5.7. I got the same amount in 1600 miles I got in 3000 in the 5.7.
6.4 has more clunking from all the torque in the rear when getting on and off it hard.
5.7 much smoother in all aspects, more of a luxury ride.
5.7 easy to launch and run at the Drag Strip, gets slower as the car gets hotter by 4 tenths after 5 runs
6.4 is hard to launch at the Drag Strip, lots of spin and some wheel Hop, but gives consistent runs each time within one tenth regardless of hot or not.
6.4 does a burnout on the street and in parking lots even when your not trying, the power and torque will surprise you when not expected.
Burnouts that you do want are much more aggressive and rougher when you let off, once it bites it wants to go.
6.4 Gets to over 100 before you know it when you do a Rolling WOT.
Automatic downshifting is much stiffer on the 6.4 and much more noticeable when it does downshift
MPG using MDS is about the same.
Brembo Brakes leave lots of brake dust down both sides of the entire car, but grab quick and hard.
MOPAR OEM brakes on the 5.7 left no dust
The 5.7 is NOT slow by any means, but the 6.4 is actually a whole other animal. It is truly a beast.
You can't tell the difference in the two in a 15 minute test drive, after you get a 6.4 and drive the hell out of it all day and it never stops making power, that's when you can notice the difference, by comparing all of your driving habits.
it did scare me a couple of times getting used to it because it did things my 5.7 did not do:
Breaking traction when WOT at 50MPH
It will wheel hop if you floor it hard from a stop with full tires, not always, but it will do it and its scary when it does
Pushing you hard into the seats, and not letting go, at 100 it's still pulling hard
Traction Control off lets you burn out for as long as you want
Burns both tires, not just one
5.7 quarter mile stock tires time 14.1
5.7 zero to 60 time, 4.9
6.4 quarter mile stock tire time 13.0 (DA 6000+)
6.4 zero to 60 stock tire time 3.9
As I get better, so will the 6.4 and 1/4 mile times
The SPS without the sun roof is quieter inside than my RT Plus with the sun roof, there is less road/wind noise inside the cab
I put 4000 miles on my 5.7 in 14 months,
I put 1700 miles on my SPS in 2 weeks, I love driving it
That's my review, for what it's worth.

We should all enjoy all of our Challengers, regardless of the model we drive for its looks, performance and how happy it makes us feel to drive it. I went from an SXT, to a RT Plus Shaker, to a Scat Pack Shaker, I enjoyed and respect all 3.

And yes I did look at a white HellCat, it was 20k more than the SPS and insurance was $120 more a month, maybe next year if MOPAR puts a Shaker Hood on it, Ha!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Great review - thanks! Right now I'm looking at purchasing a 2012 SRT8 392 Manual 6 spd with 48,000 miles. I currently own a 2014 RT Plus Blacktop package manual 6 spd. Both cars are fully loaded with every option. I love my RT - absolutely love it. I will only be driving this car about 4-6,000 mile per year - maybe 7K. Its a side car - my fun car. Am I crazy to do this?? Is the SRT worth it? And do these cars last?

I have a hemi in my Jeep - the 5.7 and at 180K miles its engine still runs like a champ.

Appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Great review - thanks! Right now I'm looking at purchasing a 2012 SRT8 392 Manual 6 spd with 48,000 miles. I currently own a 2014 RT Plus Blacktop package manual 6 spd. Both cars are fully loaded with every option. I love my RT - absolutely love it. I will only be driving this car about 4-6,000 mile per year - maybe 7K. Its a side car - my fun car. Am I crazy to do this?? Is the SRT worth it? And do these cars last?

I have a hemi in my Jeep - the 5.7 and at 180K miles its engine still runs like a champ.

Appreciate your feedback.
How many miles are on your 5.7? I'd really take my time with this decision. Sure it's a 95hp jump, but what about your loss in trade (sale etc) for a car that's got 48k on it. Sounds like a lot of money you could throw at engine mods and keep your car... There are a lot of used garage queens out there (392s) with a lot less miles on them. Unless you're going for a low mile '11+ I wouldn't do it unless it was a '15+ with the fresh updates and the updated interior. I've owned two 5.7 Challengers and two 392s.

·
Registered
716 Posts
17K miles on mine. I purchased mine 2 years ago with 1300 miles on it. I keep it immaculate - garage kept, not driven in winter, I don't do car washes - I do it myself - paint looks really nice etc...I know mine well because I've maintained it pretty much since it was purchased. Had it dyno about 2 weeks ago - love the car. Not going to do it. Your right. I've come back to my senses.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
17K miles on mine. I purchased mine 2 years ago with 1300 miles on it. I keep it immaculate - garage kept, not driven in winter, I don't do car washes - I do it myself - paint looks really nice etc...I know mine well because I've maintained it pretty much since it was purchased. Had it dyno about 2 weeks ago - love the car. Not going to do it. Your right. I've come back to my senses.
Smart move in my opinion. From what I've read on your other thread, sounds like you've got a stout 5.7 anyway. I actually miss my very first 5.7 Billet Silver R/T. It was my first Challenger and I wish I'd kept it, paid it off, and just modded it as I went. Hindsight...

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
6.4 does a burnout on the street and in parking lots even when your not trying, the power and torque will surprise you when not expected.
it did scare me a couple of times getting used to it because it did things my 5.7 did not do:
Breaking traction when WOT at 50MPH
Do you still experience these? My SRT was like this until the dealer flashed the PCM in early June. Now it is much more tame. I'm pretty disappointed.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I found it interesting that you said it will break loose at 50mph WOT. Am I correct you have the 245's on the rear and no Dynamics package?
275's on the rear - 255's on the front. It will not break loose but as I said if I downshift at those speeds and floor it - the jump the car has is really impressive. And even at high speeds this car just wants to keep pulling.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Smart move in my opinion. From what I've read on your other thread, sounds like you've got a stout 5.7 anyway. I actually miss my very first 5.7 Billet Silver R/T. It was my first Challenger and I wish I'd kept it, paid it off, and just modded it as I went. Hindsight...
This one is paid off as well, took a 7 year loan on it knowing I would pay it off in 2 - bank lost on this deal bigtime :smile:!

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
945 Posts
That's why I immediately replaced my stock 245s tires with the Continental Extremecontact DWS06 275s after getting my SP. The 245s cannot keep me on the ground safely like the 275s do even on the dry roads.

Glad to read you are very happy with your SPS. :)

·
Registered
716 Posts
Could not agree more with your assessment. Sold my beloved 2014 5.7 manual about 4 months ago - July 2017. Told my wife I'd probably wait another couple years before buying another one, well that didn't last long. I now have a 2015 SRT 392 Scatpack and it is AWESOME! It's is exactly as you state it - its a beast.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
Could not agree more with your assessment. Sold my beloved 2014 5.7 manual about 4 months ago - July 2017. Told my wife I'd probably wait another couple years before buying another one, well that didn't last long. I now have a 2015 SRT 392 Scatpack and it is AWESOME! It's is exactly as you state it - its a beast.
Ya might want to correct that. Either you have an SRT392 or a Scatpack. Both are great cars. Which one is is it?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts