Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
It seems that I have trouble finding information on the "driver-selectable sport-mode powertrain calibration" and the "three-mode electronic stability control (ESC) with "full off" mode" on my 6 sp Shaker Edition. Are these modes only on automatics??

One more thing, looking through the posts on performance modifications, there were references to the 6Spd manual having a different exhaust and/or louder than an automatic's exhaust?:scratchhead:

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
I don't believe the differences between the Shaker automatic and 6 Speed cars are any different than any 2014 RT automatic and six speed cars that have been ordered with the SuperTrack Pack option. I did get Goodyear RSA tires on my car and I thought I would get F-1 Goodyear tires (this is a good thing to me). The factory may be phasing the F-1 tires out. I'm not sure about the tire issue. Just an observation. The interior has trim differences that make the Shaker quite nice and of course the Shaker has the Shaker atop the engine for air intake which is a little louder than the standard Challenger air box.

·
Registered
15,838 Posts
6-speed and STP cars both have Full Off ESP, press and hold the button far right, one touch turns traction control off, holding it turns ESP off as well. All Shakers have STP so automatic and 6-speed will be the same here.

Sport Mode on the R/T will control the automatic transmission only, with 6-speed you will not have Sport Mode.

On the exhaust, yes the 6-speed does have different mufflers (Dodge has even called them resonators) and the 6-speed cars are a little louder than automatics.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
355 Posts
6-speed and STP cars both have Full Off ESP, press and hold the button far right, one touch turns traction control off, holding it turns ESP off as well. All Shakers have STP so automatic and 6-speed will be the same here.

Sport Mode on the R/T will control the automatic transmission only, with 6-speed you will not have Sport Mode.

On the exhaust, yes the 6-speed does have different mufflers (Dodge has even called them resonators) and the 6-speed cars are a little louder than automatics.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Are you sure about the exhaust being different on a 6 speed and automatic? I know they're different for the SRT vs the R/T but I've always been told there's no difference with the transmission option. I don't know for sure but want to clarify and get a confirmation.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Are you sure about the exhaust being different on a 6 speed and automatic? I know they're different for the SRT vs the R/T but I've always been told there's no difference with the transmission option. I don't know for sure but want to clarify and get a confirmation.
I just wanted to make an update to my last post and give the reason why I'm asking for a confirmation. I have a 2012 R/T Classic Automatic and I'm trading it in on a Shaker 6 Speed. I put the Flowmaster Force 2 system on my 2012 and want to transfer it over to the new 2014. I called Flowmaster and they said it's the same part number for the automatic and the 6 speed. Maybe it's different for the Factory Exhausts but it doesn't look like it's a difference for the aftermarket stuff. Any help or confirmation would be greatly appreciated. If the factory mufflers are different, is it worth moving the Flowmaster over to the new car or does the factory mufflers sound just as good than the Flowmaster on a 6 speed.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Yep

They are different. The M6 exhaust is also deeper and louder.

Reactions: shaker2014

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
On the exhaust, yes the 6-speed does have different mufflers (Dodge has even called them resonators)
Factory parts catalogs for the Challenger are pretty clear about what the mufflers and resonators are, I've never seen the mufflers (front of the rear axle) referred to as resonators by Chrysler. :confused: The resonators at the rear of the car have always been referred to as resonators.

I'm trying to stop/avoid confusion and mislabeling of these parts that tends to run rampant here as all it does is cause problems when folks go to their local exhaust shop and the worker gets the two confused. If all we tell people to do is a "resonator delete" and then the local exhaust shop removes the mufflers instead of the resonators because they don't know any better then the car owner gets screwed.

The parts of the exhaust are...

engine -> manifolds -> mid-pipes w/ cats -> X-/H-pipe -> mufflers -> resonators -> tips

Reactions: c26bt34c

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Ok but is it an entirely different exhaust system or just the mufflers.
The MDS/auto 5.7L is different than the manual/non-MDS 5.7L from the mid-pipes back. Autos have generally come with 2.25" tubing, the 6-speed comes with 2.5". The mufflers are different and from what I can tell/have seen the resonators are (or can be) different, plus you have X-pipe vs H-pipe.

I've seen some folks post up about their stock exhaust not matching what was expected, but if I had to name the 3 big differences they would be

- Mufflers
- Pipe size
- X-pipe or H-pipe

·
Registered
355 Posts
The MDS/auto 5.7L is different than the manual/non-MDS 5.7L from the mid-pipes back. Autos have generally come with 2.25" tubing, the 6-speed comes with 2.5". The mufflers are different and from what I can tell/have seen the resonators are (or can be) different, plus you have X-pipe vs H-pipe.

I've seen some folks post up about their stock exhaust not matching what was expected, but if I had to name the 3 big differences they would be

- Mufflers
- Pipe size
- X-pipe or H-pipe
Cool, thanks for the info. I wonder if the brackets are the same? I'm guessing that aftermarket exhausts will fit on either one. I also checked Corsa's web site and part number 14529 fits on both the Auto and 6 Speed. Same goes for Flowmaster which is part number 817461 which also fits on both Auto and 6 Speed.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Cool, thanks for the info. I wonder if the brackets are the same? I'm guessing that aftermarket exhausts will fit on either one. I also checked Corsa's web site and part number 14529 fits on both the Auto and 6 Speed. Same goes for Flowmaster which is part number 817461 which also fits on both Auto and 6 Speed.
Yup, the hanger locations are the same, the mid-pipes are the same size as well, so the cat-back systems out there will work on both manual and automatics. I'm running the automatic Solo cat-back on my 6-speed.

The exception is that you cannot use SRT8 systems on R/Ts or vice-versa, the mid-pipes are different.

·
Registered
15,838 Posts
Factory parts catalogs for the Challenger are pretty clear about what the mufflers and resonators are, I've never seen the mufflers (front of the rear axle) referred to as resonators by Chrysler. :confused: The resonators at the rear of the car have always been referred to as resonators.

I'm trying to stop/avoid confusion and mislabeling of these parts that tends to run rampant here as all it does is cause problems when folks go to their local exhaust shop and the worker gets the two confused. If all we tell people to do is a "resonator delete" and then the local exhaust shop removes the mufflers instead of the resonators because they don't know any better then the car owner gets screwed.

The parts of the exhaust are...

engine -> manifolds -> mid-pipes w/ cats -> X-/H-pipe -> mufflers -> resonators -> tips
Oh I agree with you, I don't like the confusion either, but Dodge has in fact called the bottles mufflers 'resonators'. They first did it with the Track Pack 6-speed option on the R/T in 2009 and they are still doing it today. It's even more confusing on the 2015 because they are saying the 6-speed has both underfloor mufflers and bottle resonators, don't know, maybe the 2015 will be different or just more confusion ahead.

From Allpar re the 2015 Challenger:
Challenger R/T has the 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 engine, with up to 375 horsepower and 410 lb.-ft. of torque (with the manual; the automatic drops the numbers to 372 hp and 400 lb-ft). When paired with the Tremec TR6060 six-speed manual, the Dodge Challenger R/T have a performance-tuned dual exhaust with low-restriction bottle resonators. 0-60 mph runs have dropped to the mid-5-second range with a sinister exhaust growl.

And from Dodge's own Spec Guide for 2015:
Challenger R/T models include legendary 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 engine and available Shaker For Dodge fans looking for the most affordable V-8 muscle car in America, the new 2015 Dodge Challenger R/T lineup features the legendary 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 engine, which delivers up to 375 horsepower and 410 lb.-ft. of torque with a six-speed manual transmission. When paired with the highly refined Tremec TR6060 six-speed manual, the Dodge Challenger R/T models feature a unique performance-tuned dual exhaust and under-floor mufflers with low-restriction bottle resonators. The result: 0-60 mph runs in the high-5-second range and a sinister exhaust growl for the cars left in its rearview mirror – a trademark of the original Challenger HEMI from 45 years ago.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Yup, the hanger locations are the same, the mid-pipes are the same size as well, so the cat-back systems out there will work on both manual and automatics. I'm running the automatic Solo cat-back on my 6-speed.

The exception is that you cannot use SRT8 systems on R/Ts or vice-versa, the mid-pipes are different.
Thanks for the info :thumbsup:, that was my ultimate question. I just went a round about way of asking it.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Six speed mufflers

Here's a photo of the smaller six speed mufflers.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts