Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to get into what your transmission preference is - that has been discussed plenty. But I have tried to compile a list of different aspects that result from choosing auto vs manual. I'm interested in the factual differences, rather than opinions. This list is based on information I've gleened from discussion here primarily. I'd like to get your feedback on whats inacurate, missing, etc.

Valve/cylinder shut down :
- applies to Auto
- does not apply to Manual

Exhaust
- I can't state the exact difference, but my understanding is the manual
comes with a different (better sounding ?) exhaust

Remote start:
- available on Auto only

Gear ratio (rear) :
- Does this vary by auto vs manual ?

Anything else ?

Thanks.

Dave

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
I don't want to get into what your transmission preference is - that has been discussed plenty. But I have tried to compile a list of different aspects that result from choosing auto vs manual. I'm interested in the factual differences, rather than opinions. This list is based on information I've gleened from discussion here primarily. I'd like to get your feedback on whats inacurate, missing, etc.

Valve/cylinder shut down :
- applies to Auto
- does not apply to Manual

True.

Exhaust
- I can't state the exact difference, but my understanding is the manual
comes with a different (better sounding ?) exhaust

Manual has 2 "Bottle" mufflers while Auto has a big ass "Suitcase"

Remote start:
- available on Auto only

True.

Gear ratio (rear) :
- Does this vary by auto vs manual ?

Auto has 3.06 and Manual has 3.55 or 3.91 with Super Track Pack.

Anything else ?

Thanks.

Dave
Hope it helps.

·
Registered
2009 R/T
1,371 Posts
You are correct with the auto 3.06 gears but the 6 speeds are 3.73 with 18" and 3.92 with 20" rims. Also the exhaust pipe size is larger on the 6 speeds.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
I have an auto, you get much better gas milage with 6 speed, auto are generaly faster at the track, mostly due to the driver. if your over 60 or drive mostly in the city consider an auto. good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The manual is a Tremec TR6060. This is the same transmission used in the Manual Camaro SS and CTS-V. The Auto is a ZF 5-speed

The rear end is a Getrag unit. Available ratios are 3.06, 3.64, 3.73, 3.92. The three of the ratios are available with torque biasing LSDs.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I have an auto, you get much better gas milage with 6 speed, auto are generaly faster at the track, mostly due to the driver. if your over 60 or drive mostly in the city consider an auto. good luck with your choice.
What milage are they getting with 6 speed. On the highway I don't think they get better. If they do not by much. I get 28-29 on the interstate with an auto

·
Registered
2009 R/T
1,371 Posts
The manual is a Tremec TR6060. This is the same transmission used in the Manual Camaro SS and CTS-V. The Auto is a ZF 5-speed

The rear end is a Getrag unit. Available ratios are 3.06, 3.55, 3.73, 3.92. The last four ratios are available with torque biasing LSDs.
Where did you find 3.55? Not listed on any Challenger build sheet I've seen. Is it on the V6?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the quick replies !

I was thinking there was one other item tied to the transmission decision, but maybe not.

Now, I'm kinda moving from the pure 'factual' aspect of this ........... I was originally leaning towards getting an Automatic because more of my family could drive the car, plus I assumed the cylinder shutdown would result in better gas mileage .......... and taking into account the gear ratio, I would have thought the Auto would see "much" better numbers, but it appears to be 25 (auto) vs 24 (manual). Am I missing something ? In the real world, are they getting about the same MPG ?

In reality, I'm beginning to give the manual more consideration because I *think* I can negotiate a better deal since they *might* be harder to sell. Plus it may give me a better chance of getting my preferred color (purple, yellow). Any thoughts ?

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I don't know what the 6 speeds get for MPH but if I turn my RT Auto on cruise on the interstate I always get over 28MPG. I don't have it for gas milage but I really don't think the 6 speeds get that. If you want a 6 speed your not going to hear us Auto guys talk bad about them we just like the convenience of it and still being able to play.

·
Banned
333 Posts
Where do all of these "facts" come from? Is it normal for some of you to look in a Summit catalog and just start quoting different gear ratios as an option?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

HEMI Auto trans Challengers have a 3.06 open diff.
HEMI Manual trans Challengers have the Getrag limited slip diff with the option of 3.73 or 3.91 (some say 3.92) gears based on wheel choice.

Real world highway MPG is nearly identical between the two. Reason being, the gearing in the transmission is VERY different, which makes up for the difference in the rear axle ratios. That said, the MDS function on the auto also helps in the MPG department.

Exhaust is different. Auto has a center suitcase, and the manual has a pair of straight through bullet mufflers.

Manual trans exhibits more wheel hop than auto trans.

Manual trans is slower in the 1/4 mile than auto trans.

Manual trans is more fun to drive provided you are not in a traffic jam.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,516 Posts
I have a 2009 6 speed with trak pak (3.92 gears). I get 28 mpg on cruise control in 6th gear. At 65 mph, I'm at 1650 rpms firing all 8 cylinders. The exhaust on the 6 speed is different, and sounds better stock IMHO. Drone that may occur when the autos go into MDS mode require they have the suitcase muffler.

Auto vs. Manual is really a preference thing to the core. If you like shifting, get the 6 speed. If you don't, get the auto. I think it is really that simple.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I read some stats somewhere that Dodge actually sells more manual than auto Challengers by a few percentage points. Anyway for what its worth, I normally go for manual transmissions (my last 4 cars have been manuals; all performance cars). This time I went with an auto for convenience - however, I do find that auto stick feature on my SRT8 definitely provides some "fun" factor, as well as let's you play with the gears when you want to. Kind of the best of both IMO.

·
Registered
2009 R/T
1,371 Posts
Where do all of these "facts" come from? Is it normal for some of you to look in a Summit catalog and just start quoting different gear ratios as an option?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Auto trans Challengers have a 3.06 open diff.
Manual trans Challengers have the Getrag limited slip diff with the option of 3.73 or 3.91 (some say 3.92) gears based on wheel choice.
Chrysler says so on the build sheet attached to the window of every 6 speed 20" wheel equipped Challenger. Right Mike?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I have a Hemi Orange R/T with the auto AND I just bought a Furious Fuchsia for the new wife with a 6 speed. The 6 speed is more fun, more HP, lots more growl in the exhast note, and pretty easy to drive with the hill assist feature. I'm not a stick shift guy but I would recommend the 6 speed, it just fits the car better overall and sounds 100 times better! I'm also really happy the FF isn't too pink, more purpleish. Seriously, the 6 speed has the growl you want compared to the auto!

·
Banned
333 Posts
Chrysler says so on the build sheet attached to the window of every 6 speed 20" wheel equipped Challenger. Right Mike?
I'm sticking with what was written on the window sticker on my car.... 3.92. that is all I know for sure.
3.91/3.92 doesn't bother me.

I was referring to earlier posts that were saying 3.55 and 3.64 gears were available on a Challenger. :notallthere:

·
Registered
2009 R/T
1,371 Posts
Here is a PDF of my window sticker. Look on the lower right side near the MSRP.
That has all 3 ratios on it.

On the left 3.06 standard equipment
On the right centre 3.73 with 6 speed
Right bottom 3.92 with 20" wheels.

Just like ALL the window stickers I've seen.
Just the facts, ma'am.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts