Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure sometime soon I will need to replace the brakes. I was wondering if it would be smart to buy a certain kind of pad that would fit the STP equipped R/T. Or, are the pads the same with the NON-STP car. Would most shops know what size to use just by looking at it? Or would they pull Challenger R/T in their computer and use a standard pad that works for both cars.

Thanks

·
Registered
594 Posts
I was wondering the samething about the rotors, a few websites say "for non-STP cars" on some aftermarket replacement rotors sway bars and springs. I'm not sure though maybe someone on here can shed some light on this.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Star Parts lists a number of different pad kits.
Depends of the build code of the car.
Some part #s cross build codes, others don't...

·
Super Moderator
15,092 Posts
The pad material I believe may be:

*std R/T pads are ceramic

*STP pads may have a higher semi-metallic content

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
STP cars have dual-piston calipers.
Standard R/T (unless equipped with BR6 brakes) are single-piston calipers.
I just looked em up for mine, and they do not interchange with any standard R/T pads.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'm sure sometime soon I will need to replace the brakes. I was wondering if it would be smart to buy a certain kind of pad that would fit the STP equipped R/T. Or, are the pads the same with the NON-STP car. Would most shops know what size to use just by looking at it? Or would they pull Challenger R/T in their computer and use a standard pad that works for both cars.

Thanks
The STP cars do have bigger brakes(see package content on dodge site). Therefore I would "assume'(never a smart thing to do-LOL) that the pads are different. You are going to get a million different opinions here. I would go to my dealer and get the part number for both. Whether you buy your pads from them or not, you will at least know if they are the same part number or not, and know how to proceed.

·
Super Moderator
15,092 Posts
STP cars have dual-piston calipers.
Standard R/T (unless equipped with BR6 brakes) are single-piston calipers.
I just looked em up for mine, and they do not interchange with any standard R/T pads.
My R/T (STP not offered back in '09 model year) has dual piston fronts.

front 13.6" rotor / 2-piston for '09-'10 & '11-'13
rear 12.6" rotor / single piston for '09-'10 13.6" rear for '11-'13
Either 18" or 20" wheels will fit on the R/T brakes

The SE / SXT had smaller rotors (and thus could use 17" wheels), and single piston unless optioned up with Rallye Package, SST Group, etc that added the R/T spec brake hardware.

front 12.6" rotor / single piston '09-'13
rear 12.6" rotor / single piston '09-'13

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Then I guess you have better than standard brakes.
These cars could be ordered in hundreds of different configurations.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
My '11 R/TC non-STP (Standard TP - 6-speed) has dual-piston as well.

EDIT: In fact, all R/T's come with dual-piston calipers. The single-piston are for the standard SE/SXT brakes.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
As I said, it all boils down to the build code.
And StarParts if not particularly descriptive....it wants VINs and feeds you part #s....

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
As I said, it all boils down to the build code.
And StarParts if not particularly descriptive....it wants VINs and feeds you part #s....
See edited post above. All R/Ts, at least for 2011, have dual-piston calipers. Only SE/SXT come standard with single-piston and dual-piston are optional.

R/Ts have optional heavy-duty brakes, which doesn't change the piston count but does change the pad part numbers.

[BR5]. . "Anti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc Perf Brakes"
[BR6]. . "Anti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc HD Brakes"

The calipers are the same for both. BR4 are the Brembos, BR3 are the SE/SXT single-piston.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
If there is one thing I have learned in 45 years of living in dealerships, it's never a given what any car is built with until you see the codes and lay your hands on it...if it's even built right....

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
If there is one thing I have learned in 45 years of living in dealerships, it's never a given what any car is built with until you see the codes and lay your hands on it...if it's even built right....
You won't find Brembos on an R/T, you won't find SE/SXT brakes on an R/T...so...there are some certainties. ;) All R/Ts come with dual-piston calipers. That is certain.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
so in the Dodge sales brochure the description for the R/T does not show upgraded brakes over SXT Plus, and the R/T
Plus or Classic no upgrade for brakes... except only for the addition of the STP Package "4 wheel antilock disc HD brakes".
I've seen this asked before and no one has ever been able to explain what is special about the STP brakes over
the regular R/T brakes except some have suggested different brake pads.. owners of 6 speed and Auto non STP equipped cars, does it mention HD brakes on your original window sticker like it does on mine?

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
I have the parts list and the official specs (not the brochure) and the differences are called out there to a certain extent. I'll post up what the parts are later.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
594 Posts
so in the Dodge sales brochure the description for the R/T does not show upgraded brakes over SXT Plus, and the R/T
Plus or Classic no upgrade for brakes... except only for the addition of the STP Package "4 wheel antilock disc HD brakes".
I've seen this asked before and no one has ever been able to explain what is special about the STP brakes over
the regular R/T brakes except some have suggested different brake pads.. owners of 6 speed and Auto non STP equipped cars, does it mention HD brakes on your original window sticker like it does on mine?
On my window sticker it does HD brakes for the STP.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
On my lowly 27F R/T (Track Pack and not Super Track Pack) 6 speed, my window sticker does in fact state Anti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc Heavy Duty Brakes. I do however have the optional hood to fender stripes+ 20 inch wheels and 3.92 Rear Axle Ratio, otherwise known as, DEC&WP2

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you all for the responses. I have learned that there is indeed a different pad size for the STP optioned cars. Also it appears the best way to go at this is to go to the dealer and have them install the OEM pads. They must be Mopar pads that are approved for our cars.... UNLESS anyone here switched their old pads for new ones that aren't Mopar.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
On my lowly 27F R/T (Track Pack and not Super Track Pack) 6 speed, my window sticker does in fact state Anti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc Heavy Duty Brakes. I do however have the optional hood to fender stripes+ 20 inch wheels and 3.92 Rear Axle Ratio, otherwise known as, DEC&WP2
that doesn't surprise me, seems like the 6sp manual cars have stuff already the Auto STP cars have to pay extra for. and I never have gotten a firm answer on the differences between the "Track Pack" and the "Super Track Pack" .. can you order the STP on a manual trans car? I assume it would just make it an 1" or so lower, maybe different brake pads and possibly different sway bars? for $595?? Dodge has boxed themselves into a "description corner" I think..
:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts