Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger RT, F8 Green, M6, Performance Handling Group, Red Painted Calipers.
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used 2018 Challenger R/T M6. When I start the engine it (the starter) sounds completely different than any other Challenger/Charger with the 5.7. It's not the higher turnover sound that I'm used to hearing on all the YouTube videos. It starts the engine just fine but it (the starter) sounds way beefier than the ones I have heard... I'm just curious if anyone else has this starter.. is it normal? Is it an issue? It really sounds different than what I am used to hearing. When I can I will try to post a sound clip or something. Again.. to me it doesn't sound like it has a problem. It just sounds... different.

specs in case it matters..

2018 Challenger R/T M6, Performance handling group with red painted calipers. 42K.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,317 Posts
As ChallyTatum noted the starter appears to be th same for both cars.

While the same starter it makes sense it would sound different when called upon to start a different engine. I dare say the effort to spin the 5.7l engine vs. the 6.4l engine is different probably higher for the 6.4l engine.

To possibly "help" the starter the starter pinion and flywheel gear ratio might be different between the 5.7l vs. the 6.4l cars.

Last but not least there is just the physical difference of engine block and bell housing and to which the starter is mounted. Almost certainly this would result in the starter sounding different.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.