Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys use a differential brace on the race car? What got me interested is a member had one listed in parts for sale in by Per4mance Development. I have not seen this part before for Challenger application.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,236 Posts
Do you guys use a differential brace on the race car? What got me interested is a member had one listed in parts for sale in by Per4mance Development. I have not seen this part before for Challenger application.
I have one on my 2015 Scat; it's from Per4Mance Development. Very well designed and crafted; even the install instructions are well thought out.

I'm pleased with it. It provides both "peace of mind" knowing that my differential case has additional protection (important on these IRS cars); the brace was designed to prevent a catastrophic shattering of the differential case when placed under great duress. Such stress is typically induced on the drag strip, but can also occur when the rear suspension takes a beating on uneven road surfaces (think potholes in Pittsburgh).

A side benefit, albeit not planned for when brace was designed, is the brace appears to help mitigate wheel hop.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Just a FYI when looking for ANY brace, weather a motorcycle fork brace or a car engine bay brace ect....the ones with the least amount of pieces work the best.
For instance a one piece brace is firmer than a 3 piece brace, more pieces mean more flex.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MiHi- looks like these Per4mance Development braces are only for 2015 and up cars?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just installed

Just put one on today. The Per4mance development reduced clearance one.

Only took about two hours :crying:
Couple of things- I done mechanical tasks and technical work on guitars and firearms. I have done some repairs on a number of other weird and oddball things over the years, and find that some patience, smooth talking to inanimate objects, and some damn naked stuff stubborness can get a lot of things done.

I about lost much sh*t putting this on a ‘17 Scat Pack.

The install noted were helpful, but could use some addenda- like having a pick, flex mounted magnet, and some zip ties, and the finger width of a fragile and malnourished ten year old handy.

So far (half a day, and nothing high speed) it seems to help stabilize the rear end. Pretty happy with it, and will stay that’s way because of the pain in putting on :grin2:

As some side notes to that product, the cutouts on the rear that you have to put bolts through for unthreaded rear ends can be maddening. If I thought about it earlier, I would have slipped a zip tie through it to keep it oriented and in place to the mounting hole. Also, make sure you have a short, open ended wrench that you have size checked prior to considering the relative amount of available scotch at hand. It’s an extremely tight fit to get into the slot and not bind on the body. DO NOT DROP THE NUT INTO THE CROSSMEMBER- use something to tie it off, like a zip tie, until you get everything into place.

PM me if you want the full notes/rant.

Either way, picture attached. I like it so far. Hoping it’s cheap insurance and helpful as it seems to control wheel hop a little bit.

Cheers,

Chuck

Attachments

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PaVa- "It provides both "peace of mind" knowing that my differential case has additional protection (important on these IRS cars)"

What is "IRS cars?"

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,669 Posts
Reactions: PaVaSteeler

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Luke- I was wondering if you guys used a differential brace on Big Red, not whether you sold them through parts??

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2016 Hellcat
1,669 Posts
I have one on my Hellcat and am very pleased on what they do. They will save your diff in higher HP applications.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In the vid it looks like the diff. is moving forward and backward as you drive, is that right?

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
In the vid it looks like the diff. is moving forward and backward as you drive, is that right?
That's normal as the torque of rotating the axles (half shafts) is resisted. The diffs have rubber bushings to keep NVH levels down.

On a live axle car, you had the same effect of the housing rotating - on leaf spring suspensions you had traction bars (aka slapper bars) that would contact the front part of the spring to resist the spring from twisting with the axle housing movement.

It tries to rotate towards back of the car under load and when the load is off it will deflect back to the original position.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
Just installed the brace, took 15 minutes as I have a 2015 which has pre-threaded nuts in the cradle. The rear feels even more responsive...almost no play when engaging/disengaging the clutch. Although I am running a single piece driveshaft and CDV delete as well. I will see if I can take another vid tomorrow as a comparison but I am sure it will be the same result as shown on the per4mance website. FYI, does not improve wheel hop but that was never claimed by the vendor.

Update: no vid yet, due to heavy rain.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
"The diffs have rubber bushings to keep NVH levels down."

What's an NVH level?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts