Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive tire Hood Coil spring Automotive lighting Automotive wheel system

Wood Rectangle Natural material Brick Pattern

Will I need a whole new diff housing replacement on my 2015 challenger RT if it’s cracked or do they make after market covers for them? I’m thinking the gasket just shifted and the seal just needs replaced. But also will warranty cover this seeing the damage?

·
Super Moderator
17,458 Posts
it might be a RTV sealant that's used for the differential cover - I can't see any seals / gaskets in the parts listings I've looked up

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
I’m thinking the gasket just shifted and the seal just needs replaced. But also will warranty cover this seeing the damage?
Probably not on both accounts. The damage is apparent and noticeable. My guess is that when the unit "grounded out" and broke cooling fins off, the unit "pulled apart" and the leak was caused. No warranty coverage for damage like that.

My suggestion is to find another unit and swap it out. You never know what your internals look like. This is a pretty straight forward job.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Probably not on both accounts. The damage is apparent and noticeable. My guess is that when the unit "grounded out" and broke cooling fins off, the unit "pulled apart" and the leak was caused. No warranty coverage for damage like that.

My suggestion is to find another unit and swap it out. You never know what your internals look like. This is a pretty straight forward job.
So a whole new differential housing? Or can I still use the guts and get a new cover? I also don’t have the warranty through dodge. It’s through carvana and it’s scheduled at a local shop to have a diagnostic and claim put in for repair. I literally just got the car so I’m hoping I can get away with saying I got it with that damage and they cover the repairs.

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
11,271 Posts
So a whole new differential housing? Or can I still use the guts and get a new cover? I also don’t have the warranty through dodge. It’s through carvana and it’s scheduled at a local shop to have a diagnostic and claim put in for repair. I literally just got the car so I’m hoping I can get away with saying I got it with that damage and they cover the repairs.
Did you damage it?

·
Registered
16,471 Posts
There's no "cover", you're gonna need a new diff. The good news is there should be plenty used ones available. I assume you have a 6-speed manual so will need one with the 3.90 ratio.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's no "cover", you're gonna need a new diff. The good news is there should be plenty used ones available. I assume you have a 6-speed manual so will need one with the 3.90 ratio.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Is it possible the gasket shifted and I can just get a new seal if it’s not cracked? I know the cracks can be so minuscule. But from what I can see it’s coming right from the seal.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Dan- you are scheming against the inevitable.

You keep asking the same question and getting a very similar answer; your gaskets it not "shift" (there is no gasket), you can't replace a cover as it does not have one and the recommendation is that you have probably sustained internal damage.

Serious high speed bottoming out (the pics look pretty fresh) that breaks off fins and pulled things apart to cause leaks means that you have damage. If you like the car, try to figure a way to fix it the right way.

Good luck with Carvana and keep us posted on the warranty claim. I hope they can make it work for you.

·
Registered
189 Posts
yes - of course it can be resealed or repaired - i forget how tose bolt together, it may involve removing the pumpkin from the car - a hit like that would not have caused internal damage - there is likely a crack or deformed surface that may need to be addressed - if your not doing the work yourself, replacement will likely be cheaper - but dont let them throw away the old one! I would give you a few hundred for it - im sure others would too

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,469 Posts
The rear diff on my 2015 RT had no gasket it was all silicone. I swapped mine out because it had an annoying whine at +40mph. It's a 2 hour job and since I have a 3.9 LSD it was like $740 for a new unit shipped at the time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The rear diff on my 2015 RT had no gasket it was all silicone. I swapped mine out because it had an annoying whine at +40mph. It's a 2 hour job and since I have a 3.9 LSD it was like $740 for a new unit shipped at the time.
Is it safe to drive until I get it replaced in the next week? Will it harm the rear axles or transmission? It’s starting to show small puddle where it is parked at the moment.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,469 Posts
Is it safe to drive until I get it replaced in the next week? Will it harm the rear axles or transmission? It’s starting to show small puddle where it is parked at the moment.
Well if the diff is run dry you run the risk of damaging the gears/bearings/clutch pack (if you have limited slip) to the point that the unit could lock up. But if you throw in some diff fluid to keep things lubricated then you should be fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
View attachment 1037198
View attachment 1037207
Will I need a whole new diff housing replacement on my 2015 challenger RT if it’s cracked or do they make after market covers for them? I’m thinking the gasket just shifted and the seal just needs replaced. But also will warranty cover this seeing the damage?
Just get a new one, or slightly used one , if you are good with fixing stuff yourself you can change it yourself, watch utube , no special tools needed.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,469 Posts
Just get a new one, or slightly used one , if you are good with fixing stuff yourself you can change it yourself, watch utube , no special tools needed.
I would stay away from used ones unless the seller states and guarantees the diff does not whine, which is a common problem and the reason I replaced mine. You also need to replace the bolts but in order to replace them all you would need to drop the cradle. I just replaced the 2 bolts near the pinion. Just used ramps and a trans jack from HF (not required but a nice to have). You do need to take care that the axle splines don't cut the seals in the diff. They sell seal protectors but I was just really careful to make sure the splines did not contact the seals.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Do you have insurance? Unless you know how to rebuild a differential and set it up when you replace the half shells then I would just stake a claim and have it replaced. I was told from a dealer it is none serviceable but I don't know about after market parts. I would bet that the housing is cracked with that much damage. I looked a replacement differential and they were around $750.00 for the 3.09.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts