Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Challenger Scat Pack Blacktop Package 6MT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo!

About 32k miles and several race, drift and track days my differential is finally showing signs of having too much fun.

The Diff will Hum during turns, u-turns, turning tightly in a parking lot.

I don't think my differential is damaged but has some fluid issues. Any recommendations on what friction modifiers to use with a fresh fluid flush?

If you really think it's not the fluid, I welcome suggestions to what is worn out.

·
Super Moderator
15,596 Posts
try changing out the diff lube - and add more friction modifier to see if that helps.

you may have a lot of clutch friction material in that old lube and it makes the clutches drag.

otherwise, if that doesn't help - it could be bearing wear. The noise only during tight turns makes me think the clutches are grabbing too much

Reactions: Maxoom

·
Registered
2018 Challenger Scat Pack Blacktop Package 6MT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
awesome, thank you brother

I will try the lube and see if it solves my problem. I have fair confidence it will be all good, I did forget to mention I'm a 6MT so it's not the Auto Diff, I think they're different.

That being said, I just wanted to make sure that I could throw any friction modifier like ones made by "Lucas" or is it smart to stick to Mopars LT### Friction Modifier?

·
Super Moderator
15,596 Posts
I've used the brands that were sold in the auto parts stores. They are designed for the same function - allow the clutches to slip so that they aren't engaging constantly and wearing out more quickly

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,199 Posts
Had my diff fluid changed and a friction modifier added under warranty a few weeks ago. 2016 SP with 16k miles. The noise when turning is gone.

·
Registered
423 Posts
awesome, thank you brother

I will try the lube and see if it solves my problem. I have fair confidence it will be all good, I did forget to mention I'm a 6MT so it's not the Auto Diff, I think they're different.

That being said, I just wanted to make sure that I could throw any friction modifier like ones made by "Lucas" or is it smart to stick to Mopars LT### Friction Modifier?
I used redline, it meets MOPAR specs, and comes with the friction modifier

·
Registered
687 Posts
I used redline, it meets MOPAR specs, and comes with the friction modifier
I had my differential fluid replaced by a shop near me around 100,000 miles...they also used Redline with friction modifier..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts