Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just brought my car in for an oil change (29450 miles) and the dealer inspection found the rear diff lube was 'showing signs of wear..discoloration' . I'm not all that concerned about replacing diff lube, but the estimate is totally shocking. I was quoted $176 for this service. That includes $41 in service (about a half hour which makes sense), and that includes $122 in parts! Huh ? $122 for about 1.5 quarts of gear lube.?Is this some really special lube and if so why would it need replacing at under 30K miles? Royal Purple is the most expensive brand I can think ok and that runs $16 a quart. Am I missing something here?

Rob

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Nope, not missing anything. Those kind of services are gravy to dealers. Since you have an SE I don't believe you have a limited-slip diff, in which case your diff shouldn't need service for a while still. You can do the service yourself with some Mobil 1 75w140 gear lube. R/T and SRT8 use 75w90.

I did it myself on my R/T, though I have a different diff than you so I don't know how difficult it is on the SE diffs. It's cheap maintenance if you do it yourself, though, so might be worth doing just so the dealer can't come back later and say you didn't do proper maintenance should you have a diff problem at some point while still under warranty.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Most quick lube places will do it if you don't want to yourself.There fairly reasonable.Haven't
Had it done to the Challenger but previous vehicles.It's easy to do but you need some sort of vacuum pump,to drain the lube.
Harbor freight has them cheap.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
It's easy to do but you need some sort of vacuum pump,to drain the lube.
Harbor freight has them cheap.
I don't know about the SE/SXT diff, but the Getrag diff in the R/T and SRT8 has both drain and fill plugs so you don't have to suck the fluid out. It's just a bit of a pain to get the new fluid in.

·
Super Moderator
16,623 Posts
That's a bit on the higher side - I've had both the manual trans and diff service for $175 labor and supplies.

Labor rates and prices will vary by dealer and location.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I don't know about the SE/SXT diff, but the Getrag diff in the R/T and SRT8 has both drain and fill plugs so you don't have to suck the fluid out. It's just a bit of a pain to get the new fluid in.
Yea I haven't looked at it.Good to know.
I do it on my Ram Diff.and manual trans.You can get a fill tube from Autozone that screws to the lube bottle and can squeeze it from a lower angle and makes less of a mess.A few years back a lube place did a diff lube change and it was under $50 .I know that it's recommended that you flush as well because of the fine metal fillings that collects in the bottom of the case.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I know that it's recommended that you flush as well because of the fine metal fillings that collects in the bottom of the case.
So what is the correct way to "flush" a differential?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I was told every 15k of miles the diff fluid needs to be changed. Had it done on my sxt.

·
Registered
15,838 Posts
I've done a few services and never flushed or heard anything about it. About all you can do is squirt some oil in the fill plug before you put the drain plug back in and this will flush out most of anything sitting on the housing floor, otherwise not sure what else you can do. Anything inside should have either settled to the bottom or be stuck on the magnet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input. I think the dealer price is way out of line and will likely have a lube or local repair shop do this. Interestingly , the dealer priced tires for me too, telling me they were competitive. Not even close. I did better at Town Fair tire by at least $40 per

·
Premium Member
7,318 Posts
If I had an SE (non-limited slip) with only 30,000 miles, I wouldn't change the diff oil yet. I would wait until around 100,000 miles unless I suspected problems.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
1.5 qts. 75w90.
4 oz. friction modifier.
10mm. hex key.
Drain pan.
Oil transfer pump.
1/2-1 hour time.
Done.

Max investment $50-$60 (not including your labor).
Knowing the pimple face teenage "lube tech" didn't lay hands on my BABY=Priceless.

Reactions: gasser

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
1.5 qts. 75w90.
4 oz. friction modifier.
10mm. hex key.
Drain pan.
Oil transfer pump.
1/2-1 hour time.
Done.

Max investment $50-$60 (not including your labor).
Knowing the pimple face teenage "lube tech" didn't lay hands on my BABY=Priceless.

Different lube and process for the V6, but in principle I agree. Doing your own diff service is pretty easy and saves a bit of money. Also, If you use Mobil 1 gear lube then no friction modifier is needed. None is needed with the V6 either since they don't have the LSD. :thumbsup:

Sent from a cool, little device from the future.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Didn't realize it's a one legger. Saw the stripes in the avatar next to a flat fender JEEP and just figured.............

·
Super Moderator
16,623 Posts
Why does the OM recommend 75W-140 in the SXT but 75W-90 in the R/T?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Different model of differential SXT has the 198mm diff - the Getrag 226mm (if equipped) has requirements of a friction modifier due to the limited slip clutches it has. Base automatic R/Ts have the 215mm diff...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts