Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Lots of good information and as most said, not much to do about it. Both of my SRTs had the same noise at around 50-60, depending on throttle input. Sometimes louder when coasting down a hill, sometimes when on the gas. With windows down, don't hear anything. Only when they are up do I hear it, but doesn't bother me. I've had worse rear whines, just about every V8 RWD car I've ever owned whined to some degree.

One thing to note, the stock Pirelli tires will start to whine/make noise after 10,000 miles. They'll just get worse and you'll swear its the rear diff. Its the tires. Big difference in sound once I replaced the stock tires.
Yeah I've got the pirelli all seasons now, but dealer is swapping out for the pirelli ultra high Summers, as they were supposed to come on car. I do agree I notice tire noise as well, but the noise I'm hearing is drivetrain. I know the difference.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Yeah I've got the pirelli all seasons now, but dealer is swapping out for the pirelli ultra high Summers, as they were supposed to come on car. I do agree I notice tire noise as well, but the noise I'm hearing is drivetrain. I know the difference.
Well, you are better at distinguishing between tire noise and drive train noise than I am. I got fooled a couple of times by mistaking what proved to be tire noise for drive train noise.

Once with my 996 Turbo and the 2nd time with my Hellcat.

In the case of the Hellcat, when I got the new rear tires installed at around 14K miles the drop off in noise was very remarkable. I had not suspected the Hellcat tires would make such a racket but they did. What I had been almost willing to bet was drive train noise, specifically diff noise, proved to be all tire noise.

Hate to admit it but this after driving who knows how many miles with Pirelli tires on my Boxster and every time I replaced all 4 tires noting how remarkably quiet the car became. Between Pirelli and Michelin tires the Pirelli were far and away the noisier tire. In one notable case Pirelli tires were so noisy they masked what proved to be a bad wheel bearing.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I hear mine between 30 and above on deceleration on my '18 cat, it's been there since day 1 off the truck, not real loud but you can hear it if you focus on it..IMHO there seems to be far to many complaints on this so I would imagine it's some kind of preload issue that their (ZF) not stepping up to the plate and willing to address as a recall. 5cents

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
12 Participants
Trimec
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing